Old Sand??

TheyCallMeMr.703

I broke down my 55g the other week... The sand has just sat in the tank with some water. No movement, nor heat....
        I planned initially to just rinse it with ''water change'' water, but now for it sitting so long, and able to smell the decaying/dieng organisms; What should I do with it???...

I feel as tho', I should rinse it with water and just really get it all rinsed out Thoroughly????

I also saved some sand and its in my mini fudge, still alive and doing well, to help seed my "New Sandbed'' after the move...

What are your thoughts with the sand, I would like to see it in my new Tank, just want to take appropriate precautions before I do so...

Edited by TheyCallMeMr.703

When I cleared out my 57 after about 6 months, I considered re-using the sand. I'm glad I didn't. I had heard horror stories of people crashing their tanks by doing that, and it wasn't worth the risk. If you rinse it out you could probably do it no problems, however, that's a lot of work that imo is not worth the payoff.

When I sucked out what I had, it was FILTHY, and I actually gravel vaced the sandbed on a weekly basis in the 57, something to think about.

rinse it or throw it out or use as is or put it in your oatmeal. Your mileage may vary depending on which course of action you take.

You mean, not just pour on the floor, and walk through it barefooted??? ;)

When I cleared out my 57 after about 6 months, I considered re-using the sand. I'm glad I didn't. I had heard horror stories of people crashing their tanks by doing that, and it wasn't worth the risk. If you rinse it out you could probably do it no problems, however, that's a lot of work that imo is not worth the payoff.

When I sucked out what I had, it was FILTHY, and I actually gravel vaced the sandbed on a weekly basis in the 57, something to think about.

Already moved some, it is indeed FiLtHy...

New sand is not in the budget atm, so everyone seems to agree, washing/rinsing it thoroughly would be the best???

New sand is not in the budget atm, so everyone seems to agree, washing/rinsing it thoroughly would be the best???

perhaps it'll be best to go bare-botttom in the interim then when funds are available slowly add sand to the tank with a large diameter PVC pipe and flow off to prevent sand storm.

(edited)

perhaps it'll be best to go bare-botttom in the interim then when funds are available slowly add sand to the tank with a large diameter PVC pipe and flow off to prevent sand storm.

It may have to be like that I guess... it would deff' get it all up and running sooner... which is a Very Good Thing... Like the idea of getting the sand inside after... :)

If you are going to reuse your sand. Use a fish net and rinse the sand one scoop at a time. I've upgraded my tank twice and reuse the sand both times.

As many suggested! new sand is better. But I personally like to take chances!

I have actually done the same thing. I had a 120 that I planned on moving the sand immediately and...well...my lazy behind waited about 2 weeks because I just didn't want to deal with it. I ended up bleaching the sand using a bucket full of household bleach and tap water. One net full at a time until it didn't smell and then rinsing it a solution of Seachem's prime. Very labor intensive and taught be to not be so lazy  :blink: some of the time.

(edited)

Thanks. And look how Happy he looks now... :) john_sand.jpg

Could be me... ;) lol

I have actually done the same thing. I had a 120 that I planned on moving the sand immediately and...well...my lazy behind waited about 2 weeks because I just didn't want to deal with it. I ended up bleaching the sand using a bucket full of household bleach and tap water. One net full at a time until it didn't smell and then rinsing it a solution of Seachem's prime. Very labor intensive and taught be to not be so lazy  :blink: some of the time.

Thanks, just hate the idea of having to bleach something, and then its going to be put back into my tank.... but very good idea nonetheless, maybe I'll get up enough courage to even Bleach it also, Leanin away from it tho'...  Thanks. :)

I bleach everything from my buckets, hoses, nets. I don't want to transfer anything from one tank to another or contaminant any of my cultures. I have been bleaching for years. As long and you rinse will and use prime you are good to go! 

I've reused sand (fresh from a deep sand bed) very successfully a couple of times. Most of the time I put it through a really good rinse. However, in your case, Mason, I think it would need a lot more because you've let stuff begin to die off on it, and it's that which will give you headaches. For this reason, you might be best served to give it a thorough rinse to remove as much detritus and particulates as possible, then kill it all off and dissolve off all of the organic matter with a strong bleach solution. Finally, rinse, neutralize and air dry thoroughly. It can be recovered. After all, it's just sand. But you may find it a lot easier to start with new sand if you're going to go with sand.

(edited)

I've thought about doing a BB, but love the idea of being able to stack my rocks on Eggcrate, to distribute the weight...

Upon more thought... I could cut out only sections, that my rock would rest upon, and BB everywhere else, there is not Rock Contact with the Base of the Tank??? I'd really like to use eggcrate on this tank... What are your All's thought's...??

Another thought.... After I rinse all the sand, was thinking about setting it up in a 30g to cycle, for use one day...       I'd be moving the sandbed weekly.... running a H.O.B. Filter, or possibly pump water slowly through an undergravel filter....  with all the while using water from my DT change... Think that'd be sufficient in bringing it back???

Eggcrate is meant to keep the rocks from slipping on the tank's smooth bottom, not to distribute the weight.  For that to work, you really have to use one piece, or at least several larger pieces.  The glass can take the weight.  If you were to put eggcrate under the rocks only where they contact the tank bottom, I think they would slide around worse than without it in a bare bottom tank.  Plus, it will look like crap and collect detritus like crazy.

Eggcrate is meant to keep the rocks from slipping on the tank's smooth bottom, not to distribute the weight.  For that to work, you really have to use one piece, or at least several larger pieces.  The glass can take the weight.  If you were to put eggcrate under the rocks only where they contact the tank bottom, I think they would slide around worse than without it in a bare bottom tank.  Plus, it will look like crap and collect detritus like crazy.

Was my original worries, everything you said.... and worst, it is just a detritus trap, that's hard to clean...  without being covered in sand...

An alternative option would be to use white starboard on the bottom. Personally I prefer the BB look over the starboard look, but it works just fine.

Yes, it does look clean...nonetheless, I do have a Goby... a rather large Watchman Goby, 5"+ , that would greatly appreciate the sand being there..., I may just have to figure something to get the sand, or add later as Marco has said...