vortech vs tunze vs ??

I've been out of the hobby for a little bit. I have a innovative marine 30 gal. I'm using a first gen mp10 that im looking to replace due to noise. I don't expect to get a standing wave in the tank but it's going to be and all bubble top anemone tank so I want really good back and forth flow. 

I like the wave maker function on the vortech, but I was wondering what's out there that could give me what I'm looking for.

I would stick with a vortech. I've run several different "wave makers" and what gets me is the noise they make or eventual failure of the pumps from turning on and off all the time.

For that size of tank the vortech has the best footprint. I know u can replace the bearings which quiet the MP10 down. It's a pretty easy and cheap fix

Jebao WP10 or WP25 for a fraction of the MP10. Only different is WP's do not have the wider flow than those of Vortech.

Also the jabao is not a power head like a vortech. They are like over power heads and are completly in the water.

I would stick with the Vortech as advised above. I'm shocked that people find them loud, my MP-40 is quiet as can be. Even my JB's hum louder, but it's pretty much white noise after 60 second.

I would stick with a vortech. I've run several different "wave makers" and what gets me is the noise they make or eventual failure of the pumps from turning on and off all the time.

Sorry. "The noise they make and eventual failure" I'm referring to other brands. My 2 MP40's on full blast are super quite.

Jason,

The MP10 I gave you with that tank is a first generation MP10 with a lot of hours of use on it. The dry side bearings more than likely have to be replaced.

I am going to have to do the same thing with the MP40 you gave me as it is still very loud. Definitely the loudest component on my system.

Do not get a Jebao pump if you end up replacing the MP10. Even the WP10 would be too powerful for that tank. IMO the MP10 is perfect.

Edited by Orion

Has anyone tried building an acrylic box or a neoprene sleeve or something similar to allow the dry side to be placed in an overflow?  95% of the time there would be no risk of water exposure but when the return pump isofof the overflow would fill and submerge the unprotected wet side.

if you box the dry side in you could create a heat issue. 

Like others have said a bearing repalcement will quiet it down.  They don't use the best quality bearings in those things.  I have replaced them on my MP40s when they got noisy after a few years.  Finding the right size bearings from a high quality mfg, was harder than the physical replacement.

For that size tank the footprint of the MP10 can't be beat.  I like tunzes as well, but only in larger tanks when you need to push water farther.

My desire to box or bag the thing is purely ascetic. I don't like the cord/dry side look hanging off the side of my tank. Since it doesn't have active cooling like fans as long as I don't seal it completely I don't think I'm too overly concerned about heat.

Just go with a WP10.  I had 2 WP25s on a 60x30x27 tank and had to turn both of them down so my LPS could come out and play.  I saw a WP10 in londonloco's tank and it has a tiny footprint and is dead silent.  Dollar for dollar you just can't beat the WPs.

Just go with a WP10. I had 2 WP25s on a 60x30x27 tank and had to turn both of them down so my LPS could come out and play. I saw a WP10 in londonloco's tank and it has a tiny footprint and is dead silent. Dollar for dollar you just can't beat the WPs.

Yet. The only test they still have to pass is the test of time.

Still doesn't matter ATM, if they last 2 years, you could buy 4 in the price you would spend on 1 mp10.

But IMO, you get what you pay for, if that mp goes out when you need it most, vortech will be very responsive, from what I've heard... Jeabo... Not so much.

Fwiw, I'm running 2 jb 40's, and only 1 mp 40. If the mp wasn't hooked to my batter backup, I'd solely run jb's, but I would keep a spare on hand.

Heat won't be an issue if you box in an MP 10,40,60. Any heat will be absorbed by the surrounding water. You can make it out of 1/4" acrylic. Make sure you have a compression style cord bulkhead to keep the water out.

Another way to do the same thing is to cut a hole in the bottom of the tank and make a dry box that protrudes upward and place it inside. Stick your arm up it to access.

Edited by zygote2k

..... from what I've heard... Jeabo... Not so much.

From what i've heard in following the thread on rc is that if you bought it from fish street, they are very responsive. if you bought it direct from jebao, like in a gb (most of us), not so much...

Gotta disagree - my vortech was 3 days out of warranty and I was told to pound sand.  That (and the noise) is why I got rid of it.  I've dealt with fishstreet.com directly and they were extremely responsive.  Just my personal experience.

I've dealt with fishstreet.com directly and they were extremely responsive.  Just my personal experience.

Based on the RC thread, this is absolutely the norm. Even though I bought my wp-25 through one of our GBs, I will buy any others through FS. They even ship from NJ now for $3....

Have to agree with Steve and Howabout on this one,  both my Wp25 and WP10 are dead silent and provide great flow.  So far the WP25 has not skipped a beat in 6 months, the WP10 is still very new.   I figure they are cheap enough if I have to replace them yearly it's no big deal.  

I am waiting for the ERC group buy to come in to add another WP10 to my reef.  Fish street just introduced a "twin" controller that will control two WP pumps at once.  As soon as I have time to figure out their "almost English" directions I might just buy one.  

Have to agree with Steve and Howabout on this one,  both my Wp25 and WP10 are dead silent and provide great flow.

I don't want to turn this into a thread about JB vs. MP's, but Steve and Jack were referenceing customer service.

Yet. The only test they still have to pass is the test of time.

I still stand by this

Fwiw, I'm running 2 jb 40's, and only 1 mp 40. If the mp wasn't hooked to my batter backup, I'd solely run jb's, but I would keep a spare on hand.

I still stand by this as well.

From what i've heard in following the thread on rc is that if you bought it from fish street, they are very responsive. if you bought it direct from jebao, like in a gb (most of us), not so much...

Took fishstreet almost three months to get a mistake that they made corrected. I'm not impressed with them but do like the pump~

Edited by John Ford