Jawfish home. Hope this works

wangspeed

No telling if the future fish will take to it.  I hope so though.  It'll keep him in a prime spot, and away from my Yasha goby.

It's 3/4" PVC with holes drilled for circulation. 

Here it is in progress.  More holes were drilled, and rocks to be attached.

11577168654_13e450e09b_c.jpg

Almost done!

11577178964_6b3e1de32f_c.jpg

Some of the fish checking out the new condo addition.

11576845495_36471ed33c_c.jpg

Edited by wangspeed

There's actually a bunch of loose rubble in the front :)

My only concerns are if it will accept the home, and if it will pile up things against the glass. As it stands, there is just enough space for my Flipper cleaner.

I have had great success with using Barnacle clusters for Jawfish dens.  I break them apart and put them in various locations around the tank.  If your Jawfish doesn't take to the PVC pipe, looking at your picture you'll need a deeper sand bed.  3-4" minimum for the fish to work with initially.

Great article here on Jawfish.  Good luck!

One last note -

Make sure your tank has a screen net or glass top on it with NO gaps at all.  Trust me, Jawfish will find the smallest gap, and jump out.  They have a tendency to try and jump out when first introduced into the aquarium.    Also watch your overflow too... I have had one go through the overflow on the first night.  Not fun!

Edited by Orion

That area of my tank had most of the sand blown away by the WP40 over time. It's more like 2" elsewhere. Enough that my Melanarus buries himself without a problem. I do agree i don't have quite enough for an optimal jawfish setup, which is why I built the home. If he likes other places he can go. I was just hoping he would occupy this area. The barnacle idea is a good one.

My tank is already covered with clear mesh since I have 4 wrasses, so I'm all good there.

--

Warren

Looks awesome! My jawfish built a nice burrow under the rock and has stayed they, perhaps expanding a little. Oh, and I can confirm they jump. I lost half of a pair when I left the lid off for a few hours and would have never expected it. They were the only ones in there. Talk about feeling terrible! :(

It looks nice, better than what I have built in the past.  My jawfish never took to the pvc beyond an initial hiding spot after being introduced into the tank.  After that he dug new holes all over my tank every few days.  Now he seems content where he is and thankfully it is in a spot viewable from the front of the tank.

Not optimistic for you but it does look really neat!  The thing I have learned in keeping jawfish is that they'll always make their burrow where you don't want them to...

I do hope, though, that he licks it like Coral Hind said.  ;)

Nice job on the house and hope he licks it. My blue dot jawfish never sleeps in the same spot two days in a row. Every day I have to go searching for his new hole.

That stupid auto correct on the phone got me again!

Mine did that to me on an email I sent out to my soccer team before... had a bunch of parents making fun of me for what it corrected it to and the kids made me run laps at practice.

Best laid plans...

I wasn't careful when I was placing him in, and he escaped before I could introduce him to the housing.  This of course, meant that he had to flee to the opposite side of the aquarium, in what is probably the worst viewing spot.  Hopefully he'll move soon to a better viewing spot, even if it isn't the PVC housing.  I'll probably leave it in there a few weeks before I pull it, if he doesn't take.

Thanks to Steve @ QR for the jawfish :)  I'd take a pic, but...

Best laid plans...

I wasn't careful when I was placing him in, and he escaped before I could introduce him to the housing.  This of course, meant that he had to flee to the opposite side of the aquarium, in what is probably the worst viewing spot.  Hopefully he'll move soon to a better viewing spot, even if it isn't the PVC housing.  I'll probably leave it in there a few weeks before I pull it, if he doesn't take.

Thanks to Steve @ QR for the jawfish :)  I'd take a pic, but...

any update?  as he taken residence in the pvc housing yet?

Nice job on the house and hope he likes it. My blue dot jawfish never sleeps in the same spot two days in a row. Every day I have to go searching for his new hole.

Yea we have the same experience! But its so much smaller than yours I wonder if you even see your fish.

Amanda's jumps from about 4 different burrows and each time I think one is abandoned and put frags near they get covered in sand again... Good luck with the burrow!

That blue spot is gorgeous. Keep us updated.

What camera are you using?

My iPhone 5. We have a Nikon D80 that I am usually too lazy to break out. I have a photo mode set on my Reef Breeders photon 48. Blue channel off, and the rest not too bright 50% (maybe?) to reduce contrast.

Keeping the phone still helps a lot too. I just placed it against the glass for these two.

--

Warren