Anyone with goniopora or flower pot?

gmerek2

Anyone have success with this coral? anyone have lots of trouble? I usually research before I buy a new coral but this was actually an impulse buy. :( I just started reading up on it an it sounds like its rare to live past a year. I wouldn't have bought it knowing that. Also the website wants you to feed it different foods a lot. I just want a real life care and lifespan outlook. Do you really need to feed it a lot or can it get enough food on its own? My clown loves to clown around in this flower pot and would love to keep it around.

I have some. My small frags waste away and die. My larger pieces seem to be doing well. 

I would bet that it's not going to be happy with a clownfish battering it. 

I have had this one for almost two years and it has been doing great.  I just give it good flow and light and its very happy.  

post-2634033-0-11567200-1386777771_thumb.jpg

Huly and Pez also do a great job of spot feeding their corals (although maybe not during the football season.) I would chalk that up to their sucess as well.

I have had one for a year now, and spot feed it one to two times a week.

It has been a slow grower until a week ago where is has really jumped in size. Not sure why.

http://web.archive.org/web/20080527153549/http://www.goniopora.org/index.htm this site had some good info on feeding and care. It says the red ones are for some reason or another hardier. Unfortunately I have a green. It seems to be doing well for now. Sounds like I need to start spot feeding it just to be sure. How do y'all go about spot feeding?

This coral is better left in the ocean, very poor survival rate. Just because they occasionally survive doesn't mean its a good idea.

Using this logic, everything in our tanks should be left in the ocean!

Using this logic, everything in our tanks should be left in the ocean!

that's actually inaccurate.

Trock is right on this coral...there are plenty of corals and fish that have no business in our tanks (and IMHO this is one of them)  but their numbers are incredibly small...this hobby has helped to keep some species alive when otherwise mankind would have destroyed it with all of the disasters both from natural disasters and man made disasters.  

that's actually inaccurate.

Trock is right on this coral...there are plenty of corals and fish that have no business in our tanks (and IMHO this is one of them) but their numbers are incredibly small...this hobby has helped to keep some species alive when otherwise mankind would have destroyed it with all of the disasters both from natural disasters and man made disasters.

No it's not inaccurate at all though Trock, you, me, everyone has their own opinion (typically without the science to back it up)

Whether the hobby has helped save some species is debatable too due to the method used to remove many of these from the oceans.

Frankly NONE of our "pets" has evolved to living life in an enclosed container. That, actually, is irrefutable fact so saying one should be left while others are ok to take is just absurd.

As for destruction, things DO and HAVE happened even without human involvement. It's like saying if humans had existed and had zoos 250mil years ago then 95% of life on the planet wouldn't have been wiped out during the

End-Permian extinction event.

People do have one poignant trait above all other animals: we have a wonderful ability to convince ourselves that what we believe is in fact truth when it may or may not be anywhere close.

I'm not preaching with all of this but won't be accused of being inaccurate based on another person's "belief."

great read! Hopefully with proper care I will be able to frag and sell to other WAMASers. 

We do all have our own opinions. I believe live rock should stay in the ocean for fish and corals to live on. But we take it anyway. Fish belong in the sea and my tang once traveled miles for food in a beautiful school, but I have now sentenced him to prison in a 125g box. I also do make good excuses like "at least they don't have to worry about getting eaten by a larger fish" lol 

No it's not inaccurate at all though Trock, you, me, everyone has their own opinion (typically without the science to back it up)

Whether the hobby has helped save some species is debatable too due to the method used to remove many of these from the oceans.

Frankly NONE of our "pets" has evolved to living life in an enclosed container. That, actually, is irrefutable fact so saying one should be left while others are ok to take is just absurd.

As for destruction, things DO and HAVE happened even without human involvement. It's like saying if humans had existed and had zoos 250mil years ago then 95% of life on the planet wouldn't have been wiped out during the

End-Permian extinction event.

People do have one poignant trait above all other animals: we have a wonderful ability to convince ourselves that what we believe is in fact truth when it may or may not be anywhere close.

I'm not preaching with all of this but won't be accused of being inaccurate based on another person's "belief."

Preach on brother.