Do you cover your portable generator?

Shoelace

I just bought a portable generator and it says not to run it in the rain or bad weather, but that's when we usually need it the most!

Do you guys who have a generator run it outside in the rain or make a shelter or something?

I had a portable before I got my whole house generator and ran it in bad weather a couple of times with no ill affects but it is electric and water and electric don't mix well. I would suggest a shelter. A small 2x4 shelter with a little tin or shingle roof would be easy to make and would prolong the life of your generator. I try to shelter all of my equipment because of rust

I run mine under the deck outside. Since the deck has a rain-escape system, the porch below and the generator stay dry.

Thanks guys. I guess I will build a little leanto shed or something. I would like it to be something I can easily break down land store.

Yes, they are noisy, aren't they? I am all ears for any ways to quiet them down.

Thanks guys. I guess I will build a little leanto shed or something. I would like it to be something I can easily break down land store.

Yes, they are noisy, aren't they? I am all ears for any ways to quiet them down.

There are models that are less noisy. I believe that some time ago, DaveS talked about a small Honda generator that he had that ran very quiet.

There's a model of Honda generators that runs SUPER quiet.  I see them set up at fairs, races, farmers markets, and other events all the time.  You can barely hear them, especially the small ones.  Other than that I'm sure you could build something that's sound insulated at least a little, but you'll still have to leave space for airflow. 

We run our generator (it's on as we speak- ugh) just on the edge of our garage with the exhaust pointing out.  Easy and effective.

I used to just set a sheet of plywood on top of the generator (Mine is the kind with the 5 gal fuel tank on top).  Now I just let it get rained/snowed on.  The electrical portion has a door on a spring hinge which keeps the rain off.  That is the only part that shouldn't get wet.  I've never had a problem with it.  I store it in my shed though, where it's dry.

Ive heard of digging a hole for the generator for noise supriession and just raise if off the bottom a little in case of water and cover with plywood with a small gap for air.....never tried it though

they do make generator enclosures and some even have exhaut kits to route it whereever you want

otherwise its buy quiet.

I have a honda Eu3500i....its INSANE how quiet it is for that power i believe its 62db full bore and 42 on eco throttle or whatever they call it., the 2000 is even queter....i use mine at the race track and there is nothign worse than someone with their champion or whatever 5500amp generator making it so you cant hear your racecar (80-90ish db idle haha though im sure there are some drag cars that do more than that)

issue with honda is the price...they are insanely expensive especailly after the tsunami...i got mine before the price hike and am VERY glad i did....i can sorta move it myself

cheapest and loudest way is Costco or wherever usually (champions have a briggs motor which isnt horible) and there are a few other places.

Key thing to note is either finding ethanol free gas, treating and running it outta gas for storage and be ready to rebuild the carb more often than you think necessary....

3500 does alot, 5500 for any ac/heat etc.....i can run fish tanks with MH haha , tv fridge etc off mine (havent tried the furnace yet though)

the last time i had to use my generator i used a plactic folding table as a cover and on the sides used a tarp to keep blowing rain from the generator and electrical connectors. In the last 10 years or so i have only ran it 4 times.

Key thing to note is either finding ethanol free gas, treating and running it outta gas for storage and be ready to rebuild the carb more often than you think necessary....

Do you think ethanol free gas is necessary even if I run all the gas out of the line after every use?  (And using fuel saver in the tank of course)  A buddy of mine told me that the ethanol will destroy any plastic engine components, but I wasn't sure if that still applied when gas was run out after use.

There are models that are less noisy. I believe that some time ago, DaveS talked about a small Honda generator that he had that ran very quiet.

Like Evan, I used to have a Honda EU series generator (went to a whole house standby recently- hence our having zero power losses in the last few years :wacko: ).  The Honda was ridiciliously quiet.  Put it outside the glass patio door with a crack large enough to run the extension cord through and you can barely hear it.  As Evan also said, the issue is the price. 

A 1KW unit is like $800.  I stalked eBay for a while and got a used one for $500.  The 2KW is like $1,000 and they also make a 3KW version.  That's pretty expensive for a generator considering you can get a 10KW unit for $900 at Costco.  But what you are paying for isn't just the low noise level or Honda reputation. 

The EU line of generators has a built in inverter and other electronics that put out a true sinusoidal wave.  Most generators do NOT do this and that causes problems with your electronics.  Give you a real world example- if you have a computer on a UPS it's great for like 10 minutes after the power goes out.  If you need the computer to keep running, you'd think you can just unplug the UPS from the wall and power it off the generator right?  Even better, you'd think the generator would help charge the UPS battery so if the gas runs out, you're still ok for a bit.  Nope.  Most portable generators output dirty power and most UPS's will reject the power supplied and continue to run off the battery.  So if you need a computer to stay on during power outages (which I do), normal portable generators are useless.  The Honda EU's and the inverter puts out clean electrical power.  This may not be an issue with a tank heater but it may be with the new DC pumps, APEX and other more sensitive gear.

I had the 1kw unit and it got me through 8 days without power after the deracho.  It was enough to power my tank and run/charge my computer, laptop or iPad (kid's entertainment).  It wasn't quite enough to run the tank and full size freezer at the same time.  So I basically switched back and forth- tank on for 6 hours, freezer for 6.  Oh an it used like 1.5 gallon of gas every 24 hours of operation.

One other thought for everyone looking at generators- unless you are sure you will be home whenever the power goes out and can drag out the generator and start it for the tank, you need one easy enough to use for the WIFE to pull out and start on her own.  For me the Honda 1KW fit that bill but the 2KW "generated" complaints....

DaveS I'm glad you wrote something up about that generator I have been eying it for a while now. While doing some reserch about it i this . Makes those little generators run of Propane, LP, and Gas. They even warranty the modification for 2 years.

DaveS - Good points about the "dirty" power from some types of gensets. People can pick up something called a "line conditioner" which will clean that power up. A Tripp Lite 1200W unit is less than $100 over on Amazon. It's a good investment to have for a home theater system even if you don't have a dirty genset.

http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-LC1200-Conditioner-Outlet/dp/B0000512LA

Do you think ethanol free gas is necessary even if I run all the gas out of the line after every use?  (And using fuel saver in the tank of course)  A buddy of mine told me that the ethanol will destroy any plastic engine components, but I wasn't sure if that still applied when gas was run out after use.

I have a few antique engines that only get run a few times a year and then stored. I was always taught to empty the tank and run them out as the best practice. Fuel stabilizers break down letting the ethanol and water to corrode. Both stabilized gas and traditional non-ethanol gas will eventually turn to varnish and gum up the fuel system. It's best to run dry and then when you start up after storage you can spray carb/choke cleaner in and/or add a fuel system and valve cleaner to remove any light varnish and deposits.

I have worked on small engines for years and ethanol kills them. I only run non=-ethanol in all of my outdoor equip. Letting them run dry is the best but I always add stabill before I run them out because you will never run all of it out unless you drain the fuel bowl. There will be a little left in the bowl and the residue in the line and jets.