Brad's 18" Rimless Cube | Powered by Nanobox

brad908

Yeah!  Pix!  Looks great.  I love the open space in the front.

Thanks. The green hammer in the front will be moved back to the middle rock with the other Hammers/torches/frogspawn. Just don't have any epoxy or glue right now.

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pink Poci from a local

pinkpoci010614_zps74ab1245.jpg

Hammer from LFS

greenhammer010614_zpsac0c0a32.jpg

Frogspawn from ERC

frogspawn010614_zps2dcbe464.jpg

Right Island

rightisland010614_zps0dee1dce.jpg

FTS

fts2010614_zps3e9916bf.jpg

fts010614_zps5f3ab79f.jpg

crophalffts010614_zps7f6a627f.jpg

Normally don't do this, but they were second to last post on the previous page.

Looks great man. Now get some zoas popping in there!

Haven't found any good zoa's out here. Might have to order from Frag Junkey.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm jealous! That looks like an awesome trip!

It was a lot of fun, decided on Friday we wanted to go away for the long weekend and got a good deal on a cabin from a guy at work. I miss the city of DC, but there is so much to do out here within a 2-4 hour drive.

3.5 to tahoe

4 to Yosemite

1.5 to napa

2 to pebble beach

Very cool! But all I see is freshwater planted...are you going rogue?

And I agree....the trip looked like fun!

Haha, yes, I am starting a planted tank.

3073D062-B389-41C9-8DD1-0661FE9485A1_zps

733F5EA0-BD7E-4152-9396-9EBA969BA9CA_zps

Just amazing

The most beautiful aquascapes are ADA planted.  Best of luck with your new venture.  Will you be starting a build on TPT?  Please do, I'd love to follow it.

Thanks. Yes, I will make a thread on TPT.

And here...if planted tank threads are allowed.

Blasphemy is gorgeous. 

Nice tanks!

Hopefully I can achieve my vision on this FW build.

I have been seeing a lot of awesome planted tank aquascapes lately. The truth is, saltwater will never be able to have such great looking aquascapes. I'm starting to miss having a planted tank...

I don't miss trimming the plants back every few days though.

Good luck Brad, and please post pics here. Who knows, maybe I'll start one again soon too...

• 2 weeks later...

I have been seeing a lot of awesome planted tank aquascapes lately. The truth is, saltwater will never be able to have such great looking aquascapes. I'm starting to miss having a planted tank...

I don't miss trimming the plants back every few days though.

Good luck Brad, and please post pics here. Who knows, maybe I'll start one again soon too...

Thanks. The work the freshwater community does with their aquascaping is amazing.

Building of the new desk:

5E61F658-0874-4AE9-8DC2-1CE935C4B217_zps

DEF38744-7380-48E2-96E2-65C988BC7548_zps

150FE562-D192-4FAC-BDA1-F4CD607E37D1_zps

That zoa rock is going to replace the sps rock on the right

fts012714_zps802f712e.jpg

Pink Poci doing well

poci012714_zpsa099772c.jpg

FW…Going to get cover the trail of rocks a litte more.

fw012714_zps6d3444a1.jpg

(edited)

New puppy in the house!

B4B170EA-E43B-42F3-9B6B-B5AE9F79C45B_zps

C0ADFA3D-17B9-4750-881F-2272F374336D_zps

10week old labradoodle. A family realized they were way too busy to care for the puppy, and we got a great deal on her.

Edited by brad908

Great job on the build, im excited to see to see how the ADA turns out. I love the clean look. The planted ADA pictures have almost convinced me to try one. 

I actually just got a Mr. Aqua 18"x18"18" and im going to get some of the same equipment. A few questions though...

1. Doesnt the sand blow around with the flow being so high? I like how the fine grains look over something a little bigger I just dont want a sandstorm!

2. Could I get away with 1 Ecotech MP10? Would that be enough flow? Im thinking of adding a tunze skimmer as well. 

Puppy is adorable.  Have fun with her!

Reef looks amazing, but that is to be expected, you always have amazing tanks. 

A few questions on the planted tank, will you be going in the direction of Igwami style?  How did you make those hills?  I've tried everything I've seen posted on the web, the only thing that has worked for me was an underlying egg crate structure.  Even then I still have to "reform" the hills every 6-8 months.  I can't wait to see this thing up and running   :)

Great job on the build, im excited to see to see how the ADA turns out. I love the clean look. The planted ADA pictures have almost convinced me to try one. 

I actually just got a Mr. Aqua 18"x18"18" and im going to get some of the same equipment. A few questions though...

1. Doesnt the sand blow around with the flow being so high? I like how the fine grains look over something a little bigger I just dont want a sandstorm!

2. Could I get away with 1 Ecotech MP10? Would that be enough flow? Im thinking of adding a tunze skimmer as well. 

Thanks, I can't wait to start the planted tank. I am going to start the DSM this weekend. I want to do DSM for 2-3 months, I hope I can wait that long without adding water lol

1. The sand doesn't blow around anymore. I have both mp10's on about 80% power.

2. I would go with two, especially if you are going to have SPS. With the tank being 18" tall, 1 mp10 would have a hard time covering the full tank.

Another dog, eh? Table looks good! So does the FW tank. Living the dream for all of us.

(edited)

Puppy is adorable.  Have fun with her!

Reef looks amazing, but that is to be expected, you always have amazing tanks. 

A few questions on the planted tank, will you be going in the direction of Igwami style?  How did you make those hills?  I've tried everything I've seen posted on the web, the only thing that has worked for me was an underlying egg crate structure.  Even then I still have to "reform" the hills every 6-8 months.  I can't wait to see this thing up and running   :)

Thanks! For the hills, I just poured the soil in and used a pancake flipper (haha) to move the soil around and compact it. I am a little worried about when I add water and the erosin of the hills. Water won't be added for another 2-3 months.

First FW planted tank, so should be a good learning experience.

What type of light will go over the planted tank? A 10k razor would be neat, but not sure what lighting is best for those type of tanks.

NanoBox Mini Flare. Will have a navy blue body with dark wood end caps, and 2 gold stripes. Hopefully I will receieve it late next week. I will be using a 75 watt Halide until it arrives.

Edited by brad908

Another dog, eh? Table looks good! So does the FW tank. Living the dream for all of us.

Wife was browsing craigslist and found the dog. The family homeschools 3 kids and the dad commutes like 1.5 hours each way to San Francisco for work; idk how they didn't realize before getting a dog they didn't have time lol. We got the dog for like a fifth of the price that breeders sell them for, and they gave us a huge crate, toys, food, etc.

Craiglist deals FTW. lol

One more ?, then I promise no more....are you going to add co2?  

I've never started a tank DSM, I'm sure you'll prevail.  

I gave up on hi tech, hi light planted tanks.  IMO, that is the hardest tank to keep looking nice for years, way harder than a reef.  Now my 3 remaining planted tanks are low light, no co2, but I still use aqua soil.  Love that stuff........grows amazing roots......

Edited by londonloco

One more ?, then I promise no more....are you going to add co2?  

I've never started a tank DSM, I'm sure you'll prevail.  

I gave up on hi tech, hi light planted tanks.  IMO, that is the hardest tank to keep looking nice for years, way harder than a reef.  Now my 3 remaining planted tanks are low light, no co2, but I still use aqua soil.  Love that stuff........grows amazing roots......

Yes, I will be adding co2. I haven't researched much into it yet, but have plenty of time. I know the ADA store sells this little co2 kit for like 80 bucks. I think that's the one I am going to get. But as far as how much co2 to be adding, bubbles per second, and all that jazz....I have no idea.

I've heard great things about ADA products.  I've have a 45F tank set up for a few years now, it's actually my crypt farm tank.   This is going to be an epic build, can't wait to see it progress.  

I've had great success with CL. I don't browse anymore because I compile to many "wants."

What is DSM? Sorry, trying to figure out all this FW language.

I imagine doing CO2 won't differ much from a carbon reactor? This is all guesswork on my part.