MindStream Monitor: Who is getting one?

lnevo

I just found this thread and am also very interested.  My understanding of most probes that measure things like dissolved oxygen, oxidation/reduction potential, CO2 and the like is that they need constant cleaniing and are not suitable for permanent immersion because biofilms develop on the sensors and interfere with measurements.  Just think what a coating of algae would do to any sensor.

Their information states that a 12th bump will be a probe cleaning device.  So to my limited knowledge the probe will be cleaned mechanically instead of by dosed chemicals or other method.  How is this cleaning mechanism powered if there is no electrical supply to the device?  Will this energy be beamed through the glass from the outside portion of the unit?  If so, the probe must be incredibly small and must require an extremely small amount of power to clean it.

So I'm very hopeful, yet still a little dubious.  I'll be the first to say that I don't understand the level of science behind this thing and hope to be pleasantly surprised.  Keeping any continuously immersed probe with accurate readings will be a real breakthrough in measuring technology if these people can do it.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(edited)

finally, an update:

"We have been working hard to move our next generation beta out of the lab. Looks like that will happen in the next couple of weeks!

Based on initial beta feedback and our internal testing, our new Rev monitors use the latest generation Wi-Fi, have improved stability and tweaked data algorithms.

Although we could have gone out earlier with a subset of 4 measurement parameters, we wanted to provide our customers with a greater set of initial parameters.

As with any small startup, we’ve had to spend a lot of our time in recent months raising capital to continue the research and to prepare for manufacturing. A necessity of the process…
So, here’s what we have as of today…

• Our Revs1.0 through 1.5 have been on active duty for more than 24 months.
• New generation sensor discs in continuous use in our marine aquarium for over 3 months.
• Automatic measurement of 9 parameters updated every 15 minutes.

Over the next few weeks we’ll be posting some plots of the parameters we have working and the ones in the finishing stages. For starters, look for plots from our pH and dissolved oxygen foil sensors in the next day or so.

We appreciate your interest and are working with limited resources (there’s only 4 of us at the moment) to get this product to market as quickly as possible."

"Some people have been asking about the parameters we are working on here is the list.
Final stage beta
• pH

• Dissolved O2
• Salinity
• Temperature
• Ammonia
• Calcium
Proto type final stage
• Dissolved CO2
• Carbonate alkalinity
• Potassium
Proto type alpha stage
• Magnesium
• Nitrates"

Edited by monkiboy

"Here we show a typical 3-week trace of dissolved O2 levels in our tank. The diel cycles in O2 correspond to the aquarium lights being turned on and off (that is, the O2 cycles with the photosynthetic activity in the aquarium). You can also see the dramatic response from our O2 sensor when the circulation pump and skimmer are turned off. Again, if this should happen in your tank because of equipment failure, you would receive an alert and have time to save your fish and corals! Also on this plot, you can see the barometric pressure plotted at our location. As you would expect, the longer term trend in dissolved O2 is influenced by the atmospheric pressure changes as well as the aquaculture in the tank.

This plot is from our lab application and not from our web UI that is still under development."

10341643_252354491635805_686813955279854

• 1 year later...
(edited)

will be shown at MACNA and some great information and movement on this for those interested in picking one up soon

reefbuilders.com/2015/07/16/mindstream-aquarium-monitor-alive-coming

kickstarter.com/projects/859739753/mindstream-aquarium-monitor

Edited by monkiboy

Yep.  I was tempted by their kickstarter.  I am interested in how they are measuring pH and CO2 and using those two combined to deduce alkalinity.  I believe that other things go in to the pH as well in addition to CO2 and alk, so I'm not sure how that will work out. 

Their kickstarter talks up the pH precision and how critical pH is, which makes it sound bogus to me, like they are people who have never really run a reef tank because every experienced reefer I've heard talk says to ignore pH for the most part except to watch for vast swings and even then check your meter first with calibration solutions before trying to adjust anything.

alan - this post begins a discussion about that. the thread itself it very interesting as well.

reef2reef.com/threads/mindstream-aquarium-monitor.207683/#post-2374137

Not only will they have a booth, but will be presenting a workshop as well. I'm really looking forward to taking a closer look at this.

Yep.  I was tempted by their kickstarter.  I am interested in how they are measuring pH and CO2 and using those two combined to deduce alkalinity.  I believe that other things go in to the pH as well in addition to CO2 and alk, so I'm not sure how that will work out. 

Their kickstarter talks up the pH precision and how critical pH is, which makes it sound bogus to me, like they are people who have never really run a reef tank because every experienced reefer I've heard talk says to ignore pH for the most part except to watch for vast swings and even then check your meter first with calibration solutions before trying to adjust anything.

from randy in the thread I posted up about: "Except there's no such device for alkalinity. They will have to get it indirectly through several measurements (pH, salinity, temperature, and CO2) and then do some calculations. How well that works remains to be seen. It is most definitely not how oceanographers measure alkalinity. "

Would really like one of these but at this price point I'm not willing to be one of the first to test it I don't think. Will be very interested to see it in action at MACNA.

I would seriously consider backing the kickstarter if I saw alk comparisons over time vs even the consumer level hanna checker coming from a third party.  It would be simple as snot to do such a test.  The lack of that result comparison doesn't sit well with me and keeps me from considering backing it.

That said, I really look forward to them being at MACNA in just a few weeks and answering questions like that in person.  I may bring my blue hanna with me to take 10ml of their demo water and see for myself. 8)

I will say that kickstater option is a deal as if I remember correctly the monitors will be around $600 (kickstater actually says $700-900). I will be backing the kickstarter. I actually was part of a focus group they did a couple months ago which was pretty cool.

What is absolutely hilarious is I am watching their kickstarter videos while I have my desk covered in water testing stuff.

Does it work, is what I wonder, heh.  That would be my focus.  I dont require controller integration because anyone who puts that much trust in an autopilot device is asking for trouble, imo, but I sure would like to have a 20 min running record of tank params.  Would satisfy the data geek in me.

Does it work, is what I wonder, heh.  That would be my focus.  I dont require controller integration because anyone who puts that much trust in an autopilot device is asking for trouble, imo, but I sure would like to have a 20 min running record of tank params.  Would satisfy the data geek in me.

Maybe I am just optimistic or just really want this, but I feel that if they decided to wait to launch it for this long after giving teasers for years now, it probably works. I agree, I would be awfully worried if I had everything on autopilot, just asking for a disaster, even some of our best equipment in the hobby still has issues. I think it is always good to have more data, and this gives us data at very little inconvenience (except for cost of course).

This is all potentially very exciting.
Will definitely be following closly

• 2 weeks later...

My contact at MindStream just donated a voucher to the MACNA raffle for an early (beta) release of a MindStream Monitor. How cool is that?

Sent from my phone

My contact at MindStream just donated a voucher to the MACNA raffle for an early (beta) release of a MindStream Monitor. How cool is that?

Sent from my phone

That is really cool! Thanks, Mindstream!

I am quite concerned they won't make their kickstarter goal, but we shall see. I think they should have started it shortly before MACNA so then people who see it at MACNA can then back it. The kickstarter closes on 9/6, so it is possible people could see it at MACNA and back it, but it would be cutting it close.)

Awesome.  I suggested on facebook that they put one in the macna raffle.  Partly because i really want to win one, but also because it will be such a cool thing to have in the raffle.  Lots of high tech in that little black thing.

Tempted to bring a known volume of sodium carbonate alkalinity additive to MACNA to add to their test tank and watch the alk increase in real time by the correct amount.  It's the realtime alkalinity measurement that will sell me if they got it right.

There's a lot of great information on their kickstarter page, located here. It's not an inexpensive system, but normally it's early adopters that help make innovations like this ultimately affordable to  those that follow later.

I received this today from Step Ahead Innovations (the people behind the MindStream Monitor): 

" If at least 10 of your club members back our campaign by pledging for one of our MindStream monitors (at a price of $495), and we ultimately reach our Kickstarter project goal of $300,000 in pledges, we will express our gratitude by giving your club a year-long subscription of 12 replacement MindStream monitor sensor discs to raffle off among those who pledged our campaign. If at least 20 members back us and we reach our goal, we will give your club a MindStream monitor plus a year-long disc subscription to raffle off among those who pledged the campaign. Simply send us a list of the names of the members who backed us, and we'll take care of the rest. This offer is club-exclusive."

Soooo... if you do decide to pledge their campaign, send me a PM. I'll track the numbers and, should we hit the 10- or 20-backers level, then we'll have some cool stuff for a future WAMAS raffle.