Lionfish and Ick

JR-Tanked150

So I woke up this morning to the kids yelling something wrong with our lionfish. So went downstairs and looked and they were right, he has ick. Not sure how he got it, nothing has been really added to the tank in the last month, except some feeder fish. I'm thinking all this talk about ick and mv has jinxed us. Never had to deal with a fish disease before so this is new to us. (Don't you love hands on learning) I have been read about it. And looking for a some help. I did post a WTB tank. So if anyone can help me, with a tank or advice we would really appreciate it. 

Well found out lionfish and copper don't work well together. So we got a tank, making saltwater, and with start the treatment tonight.

Why not just leave it be and feed it good high quality food. Why add the extra stress?

+1 to "it" clown

Ok beginner question. The tank has to go fallow for 8 weeks, how long does your fish have to be qt.

Why not just leave it be and feed it good high quality food. Why add the extra stress?

And I'm buying food food at the meeting, high quality food.

Ok beginner question. The tank has to go fallow for 8 weeks, how long does your fish have to be qt.

And I'm buying food food at the meeting, high quality food.

There should be no fish in the tank for that 8 weeks, but you need to keep the fish in QT for as long as it takes...if its still not 100% in 8 weeks, keep watching...

Tank transfer supposedly takes only 2 weeks, no copper or prazi or anything.  Just takes advantage of the timing of the ich parasite life cycle.  Can't rush tank fallow period, though.

I'm not worried about the fallow period, the lionfish was the only fish in it. I have two tanks one I will treat will copper and the other no med's. I wasn't sure how long to treat a lionfish with copper before I moved him the the next tank. We are using cupramine for treatment.

If you are using cupramine to treat make sure you have a good copper test kit to read it. To make it easier on the lionfish I would ease him into the copper treatment. Start with 1/4 the recommended dose for your tank size. Up it a little everyday until you reach your therapeutic treatment level of .5. Should take 4 to 5 days if you are being cautious. The lionfish should remain in the copper for 4 weeks AFTER the last sign of ich.

Get an sea chem ammonia badge to stick in the tank to watch for changes. Copper will mess with regular ammonia tests. Try to avoid water changes until you need to do it. Be careful and just don't over feed during the treatment.

Good luck.

Ok I will try that, we got the water setup and the correct temp. then realize we didn't have any copper test, and I didn't want to put him in the water without being able to test for copper first. So I'm off the get copper test and an ammonia badge, after the kids go to school. Where's the best but to but one?

Also, if its possible, could get a picture of the lionfish? While they can get ich, their slime coat is usually thick and sloughs them off...I would really like to see if possible....

Well our lionfish has been in qt for a couple of days, he is eating, but not happy. He follows you when you are in the room and just stares. I think he misses a bigger tank. So question for everyone, what does you qt tank look like?