Chromis

Joshifer

I bought 5 chromis yesterday. Today found one stuck in a power head dead. Now I have one that got stuck in a power head but freed itself and is bent to the shape of the power head. Swimming but spiraling while swimming and it's really killing me to see it suffer. Will it get better ? Or it is just gonna suffer til it dies? If so then Ill just put it out of its misery. I never delt with dead/dying fish before so it's really hurting me to see it suffer :(

Is this why people say "buy 5 you'll end up with 1 or 3" ?

Clowns are fine and happy. I have a billion snails and crabs their all fine.

I know healthy fish don't get sucked into filters but they was itty bitty about half an inch in size.

The 3 bigger ones are totally fine and schooling. And sleep with the clowns all bunched together.

maybe you need to think a little bit about the condition of the inside of your tank before you add fish.

Tiny fish can't swim against strong current and cannot swim away from strong suction.

What type and size of powerhead was it? The powerhead might not be the killer but instead the fish are sick or too weak and are just floating along barely alive when they get stuck to the powerhead. If the fish doesn't seem like it is going to make it you can place it in a bag and put it in the freezer to euthanize the fish. You can also use clove oil as it drugs them asleep until they die, probably the most humane way.

Clove Oil Directions:

You can use anycontainer but I normally use one I can throw away as clove oil is strong and being an oil is not easy to completely remove. Use an old milk jug and cut out the top of it so it's wide enough to put a fish in. Fill it up with water from the tank that the fish is in and add the fish to the jug. Mix in 3 drops of clove oil. Within a couple of minutes you should see your fish start to relax and swim likes it's drunk. Then add 3 more drops every 2 - 3 minutes observe. After three or four of the 3 drop doses your fish will be dead. The amount of clove oil doses will vary depending on the size of the fish. It is key to add the clove oil slowly so, not all in one shot, to minimize the stress to your fish. You want it to fall into a drug induced sleep/comma first.

What type and size of powerhead was it? The powerhead might not be the killer but instead the fish are sick or too weak and are just floating along barely alive when they get stuck to the powerhead. If the fish doesn't seem like it is going to make it you can place it in a bag and put it in the freezer to euthanize the fish. You can also use clove oil as it drugs them asleep until they die, probably the most humane way.

Clove Oil Directions:

You can use anycontainer but I normally use one I can throw away as clove oil is strong and being an oil is not easy to completely remove. Use an old milk jug and cut out the top of it so it's wide enough to put a fish in. Fill it up with water from the tank that the fish is in and add the fish to the jug. Mix in 3 drops of clove oil. Within a couple of minutes you should see your fish start to relax and swim likes it's drunk. Then add 3 more drops every 2 - 3 minutes observe. After three or four of the 3 drop doses your fish will be dead. The amount of clove oil doses will vary depending on the size of the fish. It is key to add the clove oil slowly so, not all in one shot, to minimize the stress to your fish. You want it to fall into a drug induced sleep/comma first.

Really.... I had no idea. Thanks for sharing!

Clove oil can also be used as an anesthetic if you have to calm a fish down to perform surgery. I have used it on puffers to drug them so I could cut their teeth down. I've also used it on rays to remove the barbs. Just use a simple two or three drops to give them that drunken state.

Now these are the posts I like to see!  Awesome information, especially for those who really care about the life of fish.  This is even good information for those who don't care... maybe reading this will get them to think about it just a little further :-)

I sense that we may have a fish serial killer taking notes quietly in the background... :ph34r:

You don't need clove oil to  be a fish serial killer.  All you need is some ignorance and stupidity.  I would know, i'm a rehabilitated fish serial killer  :lol:

I used to have around 4 chromis. two small ones always hide in the dark and not eating until it starve to death. the next one is missing in action. Until this day, I am still did not figure out where it is.  So now I only have one biggest one still survive. What is a misery..

It's normal for chromis to take each other out until the most dominant one remains.

+1.. Especially in a smaller tank like they are in. Ive had the same happen in a larger tank as well. Bought 9, after 3 weeks I had 5, however those 5 were fine after that.

Does this clove oil work on say...my wife? JK lol

It was a big koralia I think 1800gph. It got two of the small ones. The 3 big ones left are ok.

That last one didnt have any bite marks or nipped fins. Just a. Idk any other word for it "hickey"

On the side that got stuck also its body curved to a c shape from being stuck :( I watched for an hour hoping he'd get better but he finally gave up and died. :( he didn't look sick before this. Ate right away. Guess that koralia is too strong for bitty fishes.

Sad. First fish I lost. Even when I was doing fresh water.

I bough 5 with the goal of 3. 4 made it through QT then shortly after 4 became 3. After I re-aquascaped my tank I'm down to 2. I think at some point they will become one since one looks good and the other is a lot more ragged in the fin dept.

Its kind of like the Highlander to me...There can be only one!

Its kind of like the Highlander to me...There can be only one!

Haha, this is the best way I have seen it put yet. Great reference!

I started with 5 also... then one day I had 4 with no sign of what happened to the other fish. All told I now have no Chromis, and only ever recovered one body.

• 4 weeks later...

Try the blue-reef chromis. They seem to fair much better. I think they look much nicer too even if they are a lot more expensive. Or maybe not so much more expensive since they don't seem to highlander each other all the time! LOL