Biopellets-who's running them?

smallreef

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They just said they have seen problems,

Researching it I have read about the GFO breaking up clogging the reactor plates and outlets and possibly causing a multitude of miscellaneous issues...there were no specific one of a kind reproducible problems...I saw a few threads on RC and R2R about possible nitrate issues, phosphates, misc algae outbreaks, possible hlle, and cyano nothing conclusive but enough questions for me to decide not to use it that way, I've always used it in media bags and never had a problem...

oh ok, thanks

There is also a significant breeding population of saltwater mysis living in there too :)

ATB pellets

I have been running a massive amount of pellets for about 3 years in a ridiculously big reactor I bought from Justin. Like Justin, I have a big population of breeding Mysis in the reactor.

I try to keep about 1/2 gallon of pellets running with about 500 gph flow. When I have it working well, I have undectable nitrate and phosphate. If I let the reactor clog up or get low, I see the numbers creep up right away.

My experience is that you can't have too much of a good thing when it comes to pellets.

Just did a water change and some maintenance, I was surprised at how clogged the nozzle was.  I have had it running for about a month.

The only problem with a nozzle is the bacteria slime eventually clogs the holes in the nozzle, and then you have to clean it.

I have the same challenge with the bio pellet nozzle. I need to clean it every-other week.

Doesn't it seem like the nozzle should not get slime up in it because the new water is pushing out the nozzle, not in it? 

Seems like the slime would all be on the top screen, not the nozzle.

(edited)

Hhhrrrmmmm true...but the nozzle is constantly in contact with the pellets and bacterial film...so i Could see it easily transferring it...on the outside atleast....

Edited by smallreef

Sorry was tired when typing this... It sounds like the nozzle gets clogged easy... I got it too..

I would like to try the straight nozzle from what they were talking about..

Just wondering why no bottom media plate? I guess you don't use it with the nozzle either?

I'm running the basic BRS biopellet reactor with BRS pellets. I started with an MJ1200 as the feed pump but performance was uneven, and then switched to a manifold from my main circulation pump (Mag12). I've had some issues with the clogging of the inlet/outlet screens for the pellet vessel, but inadequate maintenance on my part is likely at least partially responsible for that. When I've kept it running properly it's reduced or eliminated most nuisance algae, and don't believe I have seen any resultant ill effects on my SPS.

Anyone run their pellets inside the skimmer?  I've always thought that a small nylon bag of BP would work great if you have a large skimmer.  Plenty of flow and air for bacterial growth on the pellet.

How do you keep pellets from clumping together and floating To The top? If just just shake the reactor a little they fall back down and in clump. Why do they clump?

They clump because of the bacteria coating them....that's why you need a decent steady flow...if they continuously clump, there is not enough flow tumbling them...

Anyone run their pellets inside the skimmer?  I've always thought that a small nylon bag of BP would work great if you have a large skimmer.  Plenty of flow and air for bacterial growth on the pellet.

after i took off the top screen off of my tlf reactor, some of the smaller pellets ended up un my skimmer. they just sit at the bottom of the reactor. i also dont think biopellets work in a bag because the bag will end up covered in bacteria which prevents any flow going through the bag.

So how come if you cut the pipe square with the bottom you need to take out the media plate? How do you prevent back siphoning of the pellets then?

Taking out the media plate sends the flow in all directions, my water in comes from a manifold which is higher than the reactor, maybe some backsiphon but they don't get to the manifold because I haven't seen any appear anywhere else

I use Justin's Biopellet reactors in a few setups with and without the nozzle. I've seen zero difference in reduction of nitrates and phosphates between the two but I do see different reactions inside the reactor itself. One tumbles, one sorta moves around a bit, both work though.

Never had any issues with the reactors encouraging cyano bacteria but had this issue when using pellets in a mesh bag placed in sump.

rob if you see zero effects in reduction of nitrates or phostphates then why run them?

let me clarify his post a bit as i saw that as a point of confusion when i first read it as well...

I've seen zero difference in reduction of nitrates and phosphates between the two but I do see different reactions inside the reactor itself.

that is to say, presumably they are working well for rob and they are both (the one with the nozzle and the one without) working equally as well.

Edited by monkiboy

What kind of reactor and pump, where is your output going to in the tank, what kind of pellets?

What positive or negative reactions have you noticed? What kinds of corals do you have and any positive or negative effects on them.

I am using a Reef Octopus MF-300B, TLF NPX Pellets

good: crystal clear water, brought my nitrates and phosphate super low.

Bad Cyno is a side affect I am having

I have my out put going right into my reef Octopus Skimmer 

I am using a Reef Octopus MF-300B, TLF NPX Pellets

good: crystal clear water, brought my nitrates and phosphate super low.

Bad Cyno is a side affect I am having

I have my out put going right into my reef Octopus Skimmer

I have the same reactor and the via aqua one as well plumbed together running gfo and carbon...but i've thought about using it for pellets at some point. Are you happy with that reactor running pellets?