Tank is Dieing....

TheyCallMeMr.703

I got home from a near Week-long Project, and only been home once or twice in the Meantime...
 I walked into my room, Looking forward to see all My Corals welcoming me home with their Smiling Faces... Much to my dismay, The Corals looked as tho' The light has just been turned on, and Cyanobacteria growing over EVERYTHING....

I have since 6'O'Clock tonight, turned off the light, Minus the Blue, Running that at the lowest, just so the Cells within' the corals are receiving at least some Energy....  ( Runnin' a D120)
   I have already done a 10 % change, and another 10%,  today.... I have gone out and spent the last of my Denero's on Bucket's and Pre-Made water.... got myself 10Gallons to put into my 55... So Doin' a 20% ish  type of thing tonight also...??? 
I did not want to have to ask the WAMAS Community... But I am In NEED of water. Pre-Made water...  My tank is lookin' Mighty Poor right now...  I'm plannin' on headin' up and gettin' some More Water tomorrow... But That Said... If anyone is Close to Sterling Park.... I would GREATLY APPRECIATE  just a few gallons if possible.... I have worked hard over the past 2 years to get where I have gotten. and Now where I'm finally at after all my time and effort is about to be all down the Drain...    

What I think that got me, was I skipped last weeks Water Change, and my Dry Rock, has been Leaching Phosphates and What Not into the water... I believe Overfeeding was also a contributing factor in all of this....Maintenance Is required, and Weekly water Changes...  Between All this and Not Showing my friend who was helping me to take care of the tank while I was away, How to do a Simple WaterChange... I let my parameters get outta' Whack...

The Fish look Great, and as tho' Nothing is wrong... But The Corals... The CORALS, Look Sorry as $hit, Not all, But a few you can tell when the Parameters get off, just by looking at the way they Open or to what extent they open... If Any... and They Are Way Off....

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

sorry you're having a tough time. my offer to help is extended but i'm not near sterling park. if you're across this way in the next few days, i can provide some salt water in whatever container you have. things shouldn't be going to H-E-double hockey sticks because you were gone for a week or two, though. sounds like you are on the right path of tracking down your underlying issues. if you need specific help on that front, do some searching as there's great answers out there and will get you into a more stable system so you can enjoy your time off and come home to thriving tank without worry. g'luck, sir!

sorry you're having a tough time. my offer to help is extended but i'm not near sterling park. if you're across this way in the next few days, i can provide some salt water in whatever container you have. things shouldn't be going to H-E-double hockey sticks because you were gone for a week or two, though. sounds like you are on the right path of tracking down your underlying issues. if you need specific help on that front, do some searching as there's great answers out there and will get you into a more stable system so you can enjoy your time off and come home to thriving tank without worry. g'luck, sir!

I was laying down, thinking about it more... Probably should've Changed the Carbon in the Filter also... As It was a near Drip by the time I got back... :sad:  :blast: 

AND to top it off.... They never put any of the FreshWater to Top it off... ( had 2 other's, not including my one friend. )So the Salinity level was Alll F---'d up... :angry:

All that and the other reasons lead me to believe that these were the Reason's why....

~Thank's tho Marco, Your a Lil' too far from me, But I really do appreciate the offer, Very Kind and Sincere, Think I may just head up somewhere tomorrow, Only need another 10 gallons at this point.... So MayBeAlright... :)   , I think   . ?? :blink: ??? LOL

I'm Sure the tank will look better in the morning, or in the next day or 2...  I have already took out one of the 2 rocks that we're cycling, and also But not least. I am thinking of leaving off the lights for 24-48 hours to kill off the Cyanobacteria, but at the same time, I know this would put more stress upon the Already weakened Corals... I'll have to play it by ear in the morning and see what comes from such, Nothing is better then the Eye of the Tankholder who Knows how and what His/Her corals should like...  Although someone also once told me, they may look worse before they look better... and One Day and Night, will not have the Most Promising Results...

I miss having lots of MacroAlgae and Alike, really helped to prevent such things like this... ( Which is Why I am building onto my 55 to add such a tank to hold MacroFlora...)

Also thinkin' of Installing, or Making my own Auto-Top off system as well, since I know this will Also help to keep things more Regulated within' the tank...  and Help to Prevent Any Future Mishaps for this or that reason....

Edited by TheyCallMeMr.703

I think once you get everything stable again everything will go back to its usual self. Don't worry, just do what gotta get done and don't lose hope. Your corals were just saying they missed you :)

It seems it is same thing that those that switch to LEDs go through.. relax...cyano is just ugly. It isn't crashing your tank. You need to ease into your new lights slower most likely.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

It seems it is same thing that those that switch to LEDs go through.. relax...cyano is just ugly. It isn't crashing your tank. You need to ease into your new lights slower most likely.

That is is... The light has now caused a bloom, because the unused nutrients that were not being used before, and now being " used ".lol.   Which is why I was not tooo worried about the Algea, and Nonetheless, It was more then just the light...

But I will have to turn it down I guess, Will the Blue Spectrum, cause A Bloom as well ?? Cause I know the Chroma Proteins and FlourecentCells and whatnot Live off of that spectrum... So want to help them out at least a lil'...

Between this, the filter being clogged, and not running, Loosing 15% water, so My parameters were all outta' whack. Salinity was PH and Everything' was all Off, and I dunnno Why I wanted to Drop in 2 rocks that have not cycled yet into my Already Small display... lol. :unsure:  Ehh. Live and Learn...

But Also the other stuff... All that Accounted for the events that led up to this... :hammer:

But as of this morning.... The tank is lookin' a lil' better... Think It'll all be better now, since the parameters are Balancing out, and Will REMAIN that way, at least as much as I can try that is... Nonetheless, with everythihng becoming more stable... It should even out...

Goin' to cut the light back a few hours a day...  Got some FreshWater to top off, and a Member offered for me to get some Saltwater later when they get off, And they're in Sterling :clap: . So all is lookin' up   :) :)

And would it really hurt them Anymore, If I just leave the light off for a day or so????  to help kill off that Cyano... lol

:blast:  That, and my darn Goby keeps eating my C.U.C. , Which is Really not helping... LOL. :blast: 

3 days with NO light will cut the cyano down a big along with any algae you have going...it will not hurt your corals...I'd have the blues on 50% and the white on 10% after that 3 day period...keep doing water changes, add GFO if you have any, change out your carbon...make sure you are not running the white lights for more than 5 hours a day and the blues for more than 8 total...

You can slowly up this photo period after you get the tank cleared up....

3 days with NO light will cut the cyano down a big along with any algae you have going...it will not hurt your corals...I'd have the blues on 50% and the white on 10% after that 3 day period...keep doing water changes, add GFO if you have any, change out your carbon...make sure you are not running the white lights for more than 5 hours a day and the blues for more than 8 total...

You can slowly up this photo period after you get the tank cleared up....

Yes Mam'    :laugh:

Take your time, Mason. Even in your response. Cyano is ugly, but it's nothing unusual. You implied that your salinity is off. How far off is it? I'd address that first. How are the corals looking? What do you mean exactly when you say they look like the light had just been turned on? How are the fish looking?

Your tank crashed might has nothing to do with your led, sounds like rapid increase of phosphate and nutrients from dry rock. I would remove the rocks, do large water change and run carbon and gfo. Good luck.

Take your time, Mason. Even in your response. Cyano is ugly, but it's nothing unusual. You implied that your salinity is off. How far off is it? I'd address that first. How are the corals looking? What do you mean exactly when you say they look like the light had just been turned on? How are the fish looking?

So After that day when you saw it... Guess it went downhill, Cause I left for 3-4 days to return to this...

I didn't even test the water, After seeing how low it was... I knew that had to be addressed ASAP... So had to address that... Now its floating at  1.026. 

They were Under ALLot of stress, They were closed polyps on the SPS, the Frogspawn/Hammers were not even open.... Even the Poor Kenya's looked Sour....

Figured at the same time, Got Rid of excess, and Helped to even out the rest of the Parameters through the Changes...

Fish Look Great, The Corals are still Kinda' Closed, as My light is still off, But the Blue will come on in about an hour or less... So We'll see... Leavin' the White Spectrum off for today, as I believe that this will help to kill of the Cyano, by leaving the white off for today...

Your tank crashed might has nothing to do with your led, sounds like rapid increase of phosphate and nutrients from dry rock. I would remove the rocks, do large water change and run carbon and gfo. Good luck.

Yes,  SO TRUE..... Finally someone is right there with me....  Which I believe by me taking that rock out... Letting it cycle in another Container, and By My Water Changes...

I should be able to get the tank back in check Fairly Quickly...   Just put in Carbon last night... Will Change it out on Friday or Sooner if need be...

:blast:          Nonetheless, The light did have a factor in this as well... But it is Not The ONLY factor... :blink:  I have a Jumbl Lia :blink: of Problems that made this... lol

But I feel as tho' I have done and taken the appropriate steps to Reverse this...

Just gotta' let the Tank get back into a Homeostasis :)
  I feel at this point in time now... Just gotta' keep with the Changes, Cut Down on the light... and Keep those Darn DryRocks out till they Cycle ( Contrary, to what someone on here told me to do. ;)  .NotSayin'AnyNames,lol)

The Fact that every tank is different and everyone's needs are different, and diff' sizes, equipment, etc are being used... The Best Advice for Everyone may not be the best advice for me/you.
   For many people, after getting a LED light they will have a bloom, and Solely, That is the only reason... In my case... It was the Light, The filter becoming clogged and Doing Nothing Beneficial at the time, The water not being stable( Or Topped Off), Overfeeding, and The Leaching of Phosphates and alike coming from the Rocks... And My Goby is Eating my Entire C.U.C.  is not a beneficial factor as well... ;)
   All this and more led me to believe that These are the reason's why I have these problems

There isn't a big deal putting a piece of dry rock in. But you put in two which is too much fast for your size tank...so whomever gave you the advice you could do that wasn't wrong. I do it all the time in my tanks.

There isn't a big deal putting a piece of dry rock in. But you put in two which is too much fast for your size tank...so whomever gave you the advice you could do that wasn't wrong. I do it all the time in my tanks.

Well... Obviously in this case... It Was Wrong... not every tank is the same...  And the Fact that the Rock was Almost the Size of the biggest piece I had, Did not help either...

that being said... Can I put my Rock in Your Tank then??? LOL

But Willing to bet, that If I never put the Rocks in... Would not have a bloom or problems to that proportion, But have taken' the appropriate steps to be in the right direction...

ALso... I do have one rock, with a SilverPuilsing Xenia, that I do not want to Scratch or Scrape off the Rock... That Needs to still be cycled...  Maybe should just Scrape it off, and Hope for the best, right??? Kinda' Frag it out. lol

ALso... I do have one rock, with a SilverPuilsing Xenia, that I do not want to Scratch or Scrape off the Rock... That Needs to still be cycled...  Maybe should just Scrape it off, and Hope for the best, right??? Kinda' Frag it out. lol

How do you have rocks with encrusted corals that aren't "cycled"..?

Well... Obviously in this case... It Was Wrong... not every tank is the same... And the Fact that the Rock was Almost the Size of the biggest piece I had, Did not help either...

that being said... Can I put my Rock in Your Tank then??? LOL

But Willing to bet, that If I never put the Rocks in... Would not have a bloom or problems to that proportion, But have taken' the appropriate steps to be in the right direction...

Nope not in my tank thanks

And if there's corals on it there's no way its not live rock already. Makes zero sense. You have to be smart about it....don't put such a huge piece in dry....stop and think it through

Nope not in my tank thanks

And if there's corals on it there's no way its not live rock already. Makes zero sense. You have to be smart about it....don't put such a huge piece in dry....stop and think it through

I did.... One of the Very Respectable Members on here told me it would be Alright.... Just Keep the Big one out he said... Well I kept the BigOne in a Bucket, and threw them in, After I let them Soak for a day or 2...

And Just so you know... So after I put in the Rock, I decided to dress up the rock a lil,. and put a frag or 3 on there, to give it some life... Well the Xenia, started to work its way up to the light,. and In  thus, Climbed off his FragPlug, and worked his way up the rock.lol.   Thinkin' everything would be alright from what I was told... I decided to leave it be, and let him walk around and find himself somewhere nice... But now with the Rock being NotREady, and Leaching Phosphates.. Its Time For It To Go... 

Has Noone ever Used a Piece of DryRock Rubble for a Frag Plug??? Works Perfect...

wow this thread is hard to follow, can we sum up so its easier to understand

sounds like you left for 3 days and came back to a dieing tank, friend was taking care of things......look here- how much did he feed, was he working on a car prior to messing with the tank, did a penny drop in, etc etc etc...

you placed a large piece or two of dry rock into a 55g tank...

salinity was way off...

keep a polypad on hand it can tell you if there are metals etc in the water,

i find it hard to believe that in 3 days 1 rock destroyed the tank....especially a 55g tank unless the rock was so big it was sticking out the top and touching all sides, especially if there is other live rock etc in there/ aka tank has a somewhat established bacterial population.

i have seen 1 test result, saying salinity is 1026 now...what did you test with. how many gallons did yuo have to put in.

why dont you use a test ket

get ph, alk, ca, amonia, phosphates, natrates trites etc and figure out whats goin on vs oh it must be this or that....

ive put alot of dry rock in a 90g and had no issue at all no soaking no nothing, but it was out of one of my old tanks so i know what it had been in and thru

was the dry rock from another persons tank, did they ever use copper etc.

sooo many variables, time to start getting rid of them and see what needs to be done

another note.....doing a large water change will help more vs 3 or 4 10% water changes.

bad things happen quickly in reefing, figure out what is was and deal with it.

I almost always see at least some "reaction" of sorts to dry rock, like Marco rock when I add it - even if it's a few pounds of rubble. Diatoms, cyano... to me, it's just part of the system accommodating new elements in the tank. I've never added it in huge proportions to an existing tank, though, so that may be part of the issue here.

I suggest that the better lesson to take from this, Mason, is not to make big changes to your tank just before a protracted absence. Granted, you may not have known that you'd be gone as long as you were, but the lesson is still valid. Had you been home every evening, you would have picked up on the problem and taken action before it got to where it did.

If you're able, siphon up what cyano you can as a way of exporting the nutrients that it's got locked up in it.

Well the Xenia, started to work its way up to the light,. and In  thus, Climbed off his FragPlug, and worked his way up the rock.lol.   Thinkin' everything would be alright from what I was told... I decided to leave it be, and let him walk around and find himself somewhere nice...

Ok. Are you sure its Xenia.? Bc I wasn't aware the Xenia walked. I know there is pulsing Xenia, but walking Xenia is new to me. Xenia spreads (encrusts) and grows like mat.