Tank so far (pic)

Joshifer

I can't scape it yet. The sand is too fine its like powder. As soon as it clears up I move one rock and it's like I poured a bag of sand straight in. So tanks gonna stay like this for a week or two til the bacteria binds the sand a little.

Roughly 40 odd lbs of ugly rock lol.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

stop putting stuff in tanks...let nature run its course...

it looks fine, oolite is very fine sand but yes, once the bacteria are plentiful it helps a bit...

dont

touch

anything

it looks fine, oolite is very fine sand but yes, once the bacteria are plentiful it helps a bit...

dont

touch

anything

good grief Sir...just step away from the tank...

I think its time we introduce you to Mr 703...you guys could chat up a storm together ;)

Edited by sachabballi reef

I agree. Let it sit. By the way, that's why it's nice to have a pico running too - easier to distract yourself from fiddling with things.

Looks like nice rock!

dont

touch

anything

Lol Im not touching it. Just asking questions.

good grief Sir...just step away from the tank...

I think its time we introduce you to Mr 703...you guys could chat up a storm together ;)

I agree. Let it sit. By the way, that's why it's nice to have a pico running too - easier to distract yourself from fiddling with things.

Looks like nice rock!

Lol Im not touching it. I just ask questions and put scenarios to get answers. Only thing I'll be doing is water Tests. And ghost feeding. Unless I find some pure ammonia.

we are all concerned because every time you come up against a problem you want a quick fix (chemical)...thats not the best approach in this hobby....

Exactly. I put a scenario to get answers. I never actually do anything. :)

LOL...if your question has anywhere in it "should I buy a chemical to fix it" stop.....get up from the desk and go get a snack. Our answer will 99% of the time be NO  :cool:

LOL...if your question has anywhere in it "should I buy a chemical to fix it" stop.....get up from the desk and go get a snack. Our answer will 99% of the time be NO  :cool:

Lol. Seriously tho this IS - chemical question. I know you said you'll say no but I have aptasia and mojano. How do I battle this? I googled people are saying Joes juice. Or lemon juice. Or boiling water. Then something when you kill them they spread eggs?

Lol. Seriously tho this IS - chemical question. I know you said you'll say no but I have aptasia and mojano. How do I battle this? I googled people are saying Joes juice. Or lemon juice. Or boiling water. Then something when you kill them they spread eggs?

Here.

Any forward movement on those books you've been recommended? Start reading everything you can, instead of creating "what if" hypothetical situations. You'll get a lot more information that way, and probably answer a lot of your questions! A lot of things you are looking to find the answer about you will find while you poke around the beginners forum, both on WAMAS, and read all the stickies on RC for newbies. This hobby isn't going anywhere, I promise. If anybody can understand how excited you are, trust me, it's me. Now let your tank cycle (give it 4-8 weeks) and go outside and enjoy this weather while it lasts!

If you've got aptaisia and majanos, just use kalk paste to kill them.  I have some kalk you can have and I'm close.  Don't buy over the counter stuff for that......more than likely it will just be kalk paste in a bottle and cost you way more than it should.

Lol! Never knew you can do that.

Joshifer...just continuing on the lines of what others have said regarding research....99.9% (or 100%?) of what you've been asking has already been answered and readily available either here on WAMAS or other reef forums. A single web search will yield far more results than you can get replies here. You can then analyze those results to determine if it's in line with how you want to handle this hobby. It's often confusing when new threads are very active and you could get caught off guard and miss some important information. Sloooowwwww your roll.

the both of you (703) could use some skills in the patience department and do some of the research yourselves instead of asking everyone else how to do it.

Agreed...

Edited by trockafella

Reading this thread makes me wonder if he'll ever post again....

If you have aiptasia and majanos take them rocks out and go with dry rocks instead.

Edited by kjamaya

he is hopefully just relaxing and reading up on salt water tanks 101 and realizing he needs to just let it be and when its done its done...just enjoying the ride.....

I wouldn't allow the aptaisia or majono to remain...and since its so easy to take care of it when the tank is empty he can take drastic measures like boiling the rock before it spreads

i agree, CL rock is usually a mess...and stuff from someone's sump isn't usually great to put in your DT as its usually base and has stuff on it you don't want ....

Dry rock eventually becomes live rock. And its an easy way to start pest free, not to mention cheaper too. But it doesn't instant cycle.. Live and learn the hard way.

i have to agree...i have always started tanks with LR but this 180 I decided to do with dry rock and its nice to only have stuff I introduce into the tank vs being shocked or annoyed by hitchers....

i have to agree...i have always started tanks with LR but this 180 I decided to do with dry rock and its nice to only have stuff I introduce into the tank vs being shocked or annoyed by hitchers....

This is how I built up my tank. Well Minus the fact, that my rock was My, old, and drying rock from over a year... So LONG Stanky Cycle... ;) . Nonetheless. Works and Looks great now...

but Joshifer, Just read up some, and start plannin' more for What your putting In, On, or Around the tank. This is Planning Time now... Decide whether you are doing a Sump or not, if so... are you building or buying, trickle or refugium??  Protein Skimmer, what kind and where you mounting??? Lights good enough??, What kinds of Fish, I remembered you said FOWLR, so Maybe an anemone or 2?? The list goes on and on...

Get the Rest of the System built up.... Then By that time (well a lil' longer possibly, ;) ),  you'll be ready to start stocking something You have Created... Won't have to deal or fuss with this or that Because you'll have a plan. REGARDLESS, You are always going to be learning something new all the time, regardless of how many books or posts', or forum's you read. This is one the best things in this hobby many would say. So Enjoy this Downtime, Because this Is the lil' least bit of Maintenance  your going to have to do in awhile....