How good would/could a 10g Reef be?

Ryan S

As I'm considering biocubes, and nanocubes, for a small tank to keep on the bookcase in my office; I can't help but wonder how good (or bad) a standard 10g tank reef could be. No sump. 20" light on top. HOB filter I guess. Small HOB skimmer maybe. Ecotech MP10 perhaps...

I don't necessarily like the curved glass on biocubes; and the AIO's have their own set of issues such as heat. if you went with a 10g tank, you'd gain more control over the equipment, probably spend the same... Going to google and see if I can find any nice 10g reefs in existance.

if your going to go that route.  do the 20 gallon long.  you could put a nice 24" fixture above it and have the room to spread some things out.

Ive had a 10 gal from the start..its going to b 2 in 2014...look for pucs under this forum and this topic.."new rockwork scheme" thats my 10 gal(hawkfish01) i use a fluval caged heater,fluval 105 canister(clean every other wc) ive got a d120 light for it(not in yet...) and a diy refugium hob no skimmer and a hydor koralia 240 water circulator..right now only res is a fire shrimp due to carpet surfing by my fish...8(. No ammo,trate/trite probs no hair algae(knock on wood...) then i have a aio by aqueon(8gal)... Doing better than this 10 gal and its younger! Luv my nanos!8)

Ryan, I dont think the size and or brand effect how great a tank can be. People buy expensive tanks and make them look like crap, and vice versa.. The smaller the tank the easier to fill with corals..

The tank that I had before my current one was a 10gallon and as far as equipmentand it had 18 CREE led fixture, 2 koralia nano's,  a heater and a sump with chaeto.. thats it! I was able to keep SPS's and multiple corals, only did 1 gallon WC every two weeks!...

Ryan, I dont think the size and or brand effect how great a tank can be. People buy expensive tanks and make them look like crap, and vice versa.. The smaller the tank the easier to fill with corals..

Well said.

Also, check out DipG's 6 gallon tank (4 gallons less) and beautifuly executed.

The smaller the tank, the less maintenance that you have to do but bigger fluctuations in parameters might occur if you dont monitor constantly!

LOL.. I posted a link to his tank as well...

Nice, same time stamp. What's that they say about great minds....?

Don't know how your girls will feel about this threesome that's coming along...

Check out the mr aqua bookshelf tanks. They're a cool shape thats a little more interesting than a 10g

I'm shooting to do a small nano soon myself. It's 5.5 deep blue and I'm gonna drop a d120 on it...the dimensions are just about the same though it's severe overkill. planning on a skimmerless and fishless sps/macro tank for my desk at home....slash...led test ground before full upgrade. if I could just get to it...haha

i started salt with a 10g...fluctuations got me that time as total newb...along with moving it twice. fun and fairly easy...though of course rather limiting. also, i didn't dose and things grew slow.. 

don't kid yourself...be ready to spend money on it even though it's a 10g...you may find you think you really need dosers, a sexy ato, etc etc. Decide how much you can spend on this setup and sketch out a system that works within that budget...you'll be happier knowing you can swing the components you need because you had a pretty good plan before you dove in. Besides, you know what you really need. Hit nano-reef and see how they pull off those same components on the tank size you prefer.

Size doesnt matter. If you are in frederick hit up ricks pet  shop they have a 10g. So nice. Gosh I wish they would let me put a nano in my office the ambulance.

I'm shooting to do a small nano soon myself. It's 5.5 deep blue and I'm gonna drop a d120 on it...the dimensions are just about the same though it's severe overkill.

I'd say that is really overkill. Start a build thread if you do start it. I'd like to see what it looks like all together.

If your going to do a 10g nano I would do it like this www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1340943
I've seen one in person and thought it was neat. you can have an all in one the way you want it. You can even make the overflow/sump in the back of the tank instead of to the left like they did...

Edited by Coral Hind
corrected link

Posted Image

This at quantum, long and skinny, plenty of other cool nanos to see as well, go check their new storefront out!

Posted Image

This at quantum, long and skinny, plenty of other cool nanos to see as well, go check their new storefront out!

They do have some nice picos/nanos!

If I have any pics of my first reef tank ill post them. It was a 5 gal marineland hex.