The 1st Tank Krawl... :)

TheyCallMeMr.703

I'm being supportive. I offered my tank. 93g cube with TONS of chalices and exotic corals. I want to come on the tank kraal but I also want to make sure I don't waste time driving an hour out to VA to see a bunch of lackluster tanks. :)

These are some tanks I would like to see.

Scott711

marinaP

Sharkey18

Fazio92

Surf&turf

There are others but those are the ones I can think of at the moment.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll keep yah' posted Reef. and That's Why you are one of my 2 stops so far Gadget... Please Go ahead and Check out your other freinds if possible. I would liek to make this happen sometime Early next month...  Lets make this happen people. I cant do it on my own... :)

Thanks Everyone. :)

I have a 55, and building 2 Nano's at the moment... so Yeha', I think I know they can be amazing... But. Point being that.... This is a tour where we have Nice Tanks of all shapes and Size's. None the less, My Point was that this is not just a tour of just nano or 2. I'd like to have Nano's, small's, 55's- 250+ Gallons of Fully Stocked pure Beauty.

It would be Nice if You all would sign up, or Even Possibly make Yours a Stop... Since You all know so much, lets see what you got. I'm asking you to put your money wher your mouth is. This Entire thread has gone downhill for me.

The ONLY point of this was to meet some cool new people, see some livestock and tanks that I could only Dream of... and have some fun at the same time.

I Would like to make this happen. But So far... I've only had 2 people sign up from here, and 2 others were kinda helpfull... Everyone Else, has only had something Negative to say... Thanks for being so Supportive.I am doing this by myslef, as a New Wamas member, I do not know enough people on here yet, that I could know what they got Or even for the point... Sign up or help... I am asking for HELP from the WAMAS community. If you want to help make this a reality, Let me know...

Wow.....

Lol all I said was the last two TOTM's were nano's, after you put down nano's.

And I'm the negative one.

Wow is right swimmatte...703 I think you keep pushing something that there isn't interest in and its not the first time you have brought it up and gotten the same response perhaps its time to understand that it isn't going to happen the way you envision.

And brad has one of the most amazing new tanks on here.. so let's be respectful.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Last two TOTM's were nano tanks...

Wow is right swimmatte...703 I think you keep pushing something that there isn't interest in and its not the first time you have brought it up and gotten the same response perhaps its time to understand that it isn't going to happen the way you envision.

And brad has one of the most amazing new tanks on here.. so let's be respectful.

I have to agree I have seen some Nanos including the TOTM that is amazing and to keep certain coral in a NANO is just pure amazing dedication. 

+2 for swimmate and sachabballi AGREE 100%

The best way to organize this is further out...

1) select a date (most likely a weekend).  

2) Find people in the area of interest that would be willing to host (btw - the drive to drink DURING is a major issue for some..) Revise step 1.

3) Announce the date and # of tanks (and other details) to try to gather folks to participate.

Then, my suggestion here... select a brewpub or local microbrewery to end the run at (perhaps one to stop for lunch at?). Then people can choose to have a few or not and won't be stepping on anyone's toes by being too boisterous in their homes. Many of us have families and wouldn't want the hassle.

What that means is the organizer has to do a lot of the behind the scenes and be forthright about planning.  It isn't easy.  I used to run these type of events in ~2000-2004 in NC and they were wildly popular, but we almost never hit more than 2 or 3 tanks - and generally, what we'd do is have the host available in a certain window. That way people can show as their schedules allow and then move on or bail.

Just wanted to toss that out there to improve the probability of this happening.

I have to agree I have seen some Nanos including the TOTM that is amazing and to keep certain coral in a NANO is just pure amazing dedication. 

+2 for swimmate and sachabballi AGREE 100%

The best way to organize this is further out...

1) select a date (most likely a weekend).  

2) Find people in the area of interest that would be willing to host (btw - the drive to drink DURING is a major issue for some..) Revise step 1.

3) Announce the date and # of tanks (and other details) to try to gather folks to participate.

Then, my suggestion here... select a brewpub or local microbrewery to end the run at (perhaps one to stop for lunch at?). Then people can choose to have a few or not and won't be stepping on anyone's toes by being too boisterous in their homes. Many of us have families and wouldn't want the hassle.

What that means is the organizer has to do a lot of the behind the scenes and be forthright about planning.  It isn't easy.  I used to run these type of events in ~2000-2004 in NC and they were wildly popular, but we almost never hit more than 2 or 3 tanks - and generally, what we'd do is have the host available in a certain window. That way people can show as their schedules allow and then move on or bail.

Just wanted to toss that out there to improve the probability of this happening.

im in

I Am Sorry...

i am sorry everyone took this the wrong way... point being... Everyone knew where I was trying to go with this... ALL I SAID, was this is Not just a tour of a nano or 2... THAT MEANS that we are not just going to look at ONLY a small Limited number of Corals( As the Space in a Nano is limited ), Per Stop, And Only 2.

I then said that this would be many tanks of different size's. Meaning... That As I said in the first that this is about Idea's.... And as Someone else said.. The Work, and DEDICATION and Effort that goes into a  Building and Maintaining a Nano.. Is Amazing. I  Complimant Anyone that has a Nano Due to that Fact... Which is also why I said, that we'd have all tanks and Size's because of the Idea and thoght's that went into making that.

I do agree tho' nonetheless I am pushing something that is dead. But for these reasons and more The Tank Tour should be revived... I'm just trying to Entice people in another way that may Spark More of An Interest, that I may bring back The Tank Tour... and since I have no power over that, I'm going about it differently, My Way, and although that may not be " The Right Way ".

I wanted This Tour to be all about goodTimes, getting new idea's, Seein' new coral's, making friends, Seein' a Nano, a 55, a Sump, a Complete State of The Art System and a 5-6 foot Tank of Pure Amazingness' Where it would take you 4 day's to find and see everything, AND sooo much more in between, H-E-double hockey sticks... Even makin' Memories for that point...( I remember that day I saw that tank, and came up with this tank now..., etc.)

I am Planning a date tonight... And Will be having a new Signup  coming out sometime this week with information needed.  And SPECIAL Details... The Tour Participants, Who Participate, will receive a discount a LFS of my choice, as we will be ending perhaps at that store... So Incase you got that NiceIdea, or Saw That what you had to have, I'll be making sure you get hooked up for coming out.... Just to make this even sweeter...  ;) :)

Good parties aren't created, they just happen.

Why does it seem like 99% of the time I agree with you?  LOL :)

Mr. 703.

I applaud you for being proactive in this front but I think Wade said it best a few posts up so I won't rehash what he said. Don't take some of the comments personally. Like most things, interests come in waves. If not enough people seem interested now, put it on the shelf and bring it up again in a month or two, perhaps with a few adjustments to the details. People come and go on WAMAS and in this hobby. You never know, but in a few months, there might be new people that would be all into it and provide the necessary amount of support. I agree w/ Rob, this kind of stuff happens a bit more organically with maybe just a small spark (you). Keep up the enthusiasm for this hobby and don't get jaded as a result.

Thanks!

Mr. 703.

I applaud you for being proactive in this front but I think Wade said it best a few posts up so I won't rehash what he said. Don't take some of the comments personally. Like most things, interests come in waves. If not enough people seem interested now, put it on the shelf and bring it up again in a month or two, perhaps with a few adjustments to the details. People come and go on WAMAS and in this hobby. You never know, but in a few months, there might be new people that would be all into it and provide the necessary amount of support. I agree w/ Rob, this kind of stuff happens a bit more organically with maybe just a small spark (you). Keep up the enthusiasm for this hobby and don't get jaded as a result.

Thanks!

thanks... I do appreciate those words, and that good Rationalzation.lol.

+2

and just as an FYI the LFS already give members a discount... just saying..

and Just an FYI... There is a bigger Discount/Deal.... Just for being apart of this... I'm already talking with a LFS and we're trying to make it ... well... More then worth it, for just you coming out... I guess you'll just have to stay tuned and posted, to see what kind of CrazyDeal's I'm talking about,( not just our WAMAS Discount. Haaa)...

Party poopers! ;) I'm in I don't need bribed with Crazy good LFS discounts but sure is nice! just love beer and fish tanks lol put the details together and ill let you know if I can make it. I don't cAre if its only 2 people that show. Heck We may even learn something during the tour.

From the club management side of things / support from the club for your event:  the reason the officers have not responded is that they (including me) have been busy getting the bid proposal ready for bidding on MACNA 2015.  This has been a lot of work.  Add in summer vacations, work schedule & family time = little time to take on another task at this point in time.  But if you have ideas or other needs, you can submit a PM to one of them or email to officers@wamas.org with your request and they can consider it. 

This is a volunteer run club.  None of the officers are paid for their time.  Hence, the club is what the membership make it.  The more active members are and creative in event plans make the club special.  The core officer group can't always be the driving force on every club event. 

Thus, thanks 703, & any other member who offered suggestions, for trying to get something going.

Regards,

Party poopers! ;) I'm in I don't need bribed with Crazy good LFS discounts but sure is nice! just love beer and fish tanks lol put the details together and ill let you know if I can make it. I don't cAre if its only 2 people that show. Heck We may even learn something during the tour.

Sometime's the Smaller, then Better. Because we are able to Give More Attention and Focus on people and things, thus more time to ejnoy ourselves without having to be Rushed.. :)

From the club management side of things / support from the club for your event:  the reason the officers have not responded is that they (including me) have been busy getting the bid proposal ready for bidding on MACNA 2015.  This has been a lot of work.  Add in summer vacations, work schedule & family time = little time to take on another task at this point in time.  But if you have ideas or other needs, you can submit a PM to one of them or email to officers@wamas.org with your request and they can consider it. 

This is a volunteer run club.  None of the officers are paid for their time.  Hence, the club is what the membership make it.  The more active members are and creative in event plans make the club special.  The core officer group can't always be the driving force on every club event. 

Thus, thanks 703, & any other member who offered suggestions, for trying to get something going.

Regards,

This made my day. The Recognition was all I needed to keep this alive and Keep Pushing. I did learn that it is not easy, An I can only imagine with the bid Propossal and all, how your' all's live's have been.

Thank's for the Support. MuchNeeded, Mason. :)

This is a crock - The fact that there is an arrogance going on here is amazing to me.  Not everyone has the money or resources to have a perfect tank.  A lot of folks have tanks and are trying to improve them and make them better.  When someone volunteers their tank, be it huge or a nano, and someone calls it "lackluster" or tries to exclude it, it belittles what this club is all about.  I fully support the idea of tank tours, but they need to be open to everyone........not just tanks that a small portion of the club thinks are worth while. 

If you want to exclude people from participation based on your opinions, well then you need to do it on your own and not as a club event.

Just something quick. I, too, am swamped working with others on this MACNA proposal as well as other proposals at work (more than usual).

Let me say that I've met Mason (703) and have been to his house. We sat down, had a beer and a hot dog, and looked over his tank. Nice guy. Enthusiastic. And, just about my son's age, if it's relevant.

That said, I think that Mason is just directing some of that enthusiasm toward trying to put together a social event to gather together people who have a similar passion. That's most of us that frequent this place. The fact that he's talking about top-flight tanks is an inducement to bring people out, not a requirement to be on the punch list. The drinking part (and potential driving afterwards) is part of the social aspect of this and, because of it, I'm hesitant to call this a "club event" in the sense of "sponsoring." And, as Wade mentioned earlier, you need to recognize that we're diverse not only our years in the hobby, but across age, family, economic means, and privacy desires. This and schedules may also factor into who participates and who puts their tank up for viewing.

So, let's not be too hard on the guy that's offering to try to meet and make a few friends here. Give it a chance and maybe you'll see it's all good natured and well-intended.

Tom - I agree that the idea behind this is a good thing.  But when members, ANY members, start placing limitations based on their opinions then it shouldn't be a club event.  What one person may consider a tank that is beneath their time, someone else may find that tank to be worthwhile to look at.  All I'm saying is that we don't need to institute a class system here.

Tom - I agree that the idea behind this is a good thing.  But when members, ANY members, start placing limitations based on their opinions then it shouldn't be a club event.  What one person may consider a tank that is beneath their time, someone else may find that tank to be worthwhile to look at.  All I'm saying is that we don't need to institute a class system here.

Agreed.

I don't think that was the intent, though. As a community, let's not let it go that way. Message received, I'm sure. This is for fun and community-building.

I think you will get more people to sign up if you’re not just focusing on touring NICE tanks. Just an idea, why not also allowed people who need help with their tanks to also sign up, for example some newbies just crashed their tank and have no idea of what to do and they need help. You guy can tour their tank, give some advices and help them get back on track. Or maybe someone just have an OK tank and looking for some ideas to make it better. I think people will accept this better and be less offensive because the main purpose of this is helping out fellow members and increasing value to the club. :)

I think you will get more people to sign up if you’re not just focusing on touring NICE tanks. Just an idea, why not also allowed people who need help with their tanks to also sign up, for example some newbies just crashed their tank and have no idea of what to do and they need help. You guy can tour their tank, give some advices and help them get back on track. Or maybe someone just have an OK tank and looking for some ideas to make it better. I think people will accept this better and be less offensive because the main purpose of this is helping out fellow members and increasing value to the club. :)

Wow, great idea!

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2