Innovative Marine ATO

Mattiejay6

• 2 weeks later...

we will see.  we're getting some in next week to test and also stock on shelves.  They are made for nano tanks and large tanks alike.  They are supposed to be more accurate and precise than the Tunze osmolators. 

Why not use this.  Idiot proof w local support?

http://www.avastmarine.com/ssc/do/product/rigging/Top-off-Kit

we carry and sell lots of Avast ATOs and highly recommend them.  I actually use the AVAST ATO on my personal systems.  As Mattiejay6 indicates, this is a new technology and folks are always looking to take their tanks and equipment to the next level.  Innovative Marine has taken the ATO to that next level...  one notch, slim, powerful, precise and can be used on any type of system, even with the smallest space.  We're an authorized Innovative Marine Dealer so stocking this is something that we need to do, plus, it fits in perfectly with their Nuvo line of aquariums.

Edited by Quantum Aquaria

In a small nano you want stability, and the more sensitive the sensor the better.

I agree. The Avast works great but I was surprised how insensitive it is to water fluctuations. There needs to be about a 1/2" difference for it to trigger. For my 29G, that's not the end of the world but for anything smaller, that may mean a swing in salinity.

this is why new innovations are great!

i have an avast on mine...and i keep it in the smallest part of my sump so that the fluctuation is hurridly fixed, though i really like the dual sensors on this innovative marine item, id like to see one up and running to gauge its fluctuation also...though im not a repeat buyer of products that are working and serving their purpose....

re: level fluctuations, it is important to note the effect of the surface area of the variable level portion of your system has on salinity fluctuation.  This factor is independent of system volume or size.  For example, if I placed the ATO in the main portion of one of my coral tubs (6' x 10' x 22"), the variance of 3/8" would equal ~14 gallons of a total of 822 gal or about 1.7% change in salinity.  If I moved this to the sump area that is 6" wide, that variable portion would then become just a little over 1 gallon, or ~.1% salinity change.

Now, take the example of the 11 gallon CADlights nano in my daughter's room.  There, I use an original prototype ATO sensor, when the variance was closer to 5/8".  The dimensions are roughly 14" x 15" x 12".  The back chamber area is 2" long by the width (15") of the tank.  This equals a variable volume of .08 gallons, or 0.7% change in salinity, which is undetectable by any device in the hobby.

Note that only the first case, where the ATO is placed directly in a very shallow, wide/long tank, is the salinity swing even measurable on a high grade refractometer.  Even a relatively large 1.7% change in salinity isn't going to bother anything except the most delicate echinoderms (think of linckia sea stars).  But the key to realize is this isn't confined to a nano tank, and it would take more than even a few inches of variance in most setups to create a salinity change large enough to measure on a quality refractometer.

The innovative marine unit looks decent but seems pretty expensive.  The reason we chose to use a simple mechanical float valve as our backup system is because it is completely independent of the electrical switchbox.  Simply adding a second sensor to an existing control box is not a true backup solution IMO.  The control box remains  single point of failure.

+1, I have three Avast and wouldn't even consionce a year or so, you should not have any problems with it.er another option. Nothing to break or fail.

mines failed after the recent move. it would keep adding water to the sump past the full line. what had happened was there was a hole on the airline on the sensor. if one replaces the tube every couple of years, it should not fail.

mines failed after the recent move. it would keep adding water to the sump past the full line. what had happened was there was a hole on the airline on the sensor. if one replaces the tube every couple of years, it should not fail.

Dude, what happened to my "quote" you used! It's hilariously jumbled. Yeah though. Nothing's completely bullet proof, and avast doesn't make vinyl tubing, so that's not really on them anyway.

I have to say...movers can f' up just about anything...wanna know what I found inside a washer and dryer after one move?

Parts to a car! They were in the garage with them...so..they just used them for storage while moving...(wasn't even a car I kept for the move...sold it..apparently with missing parts,lol)

Dude, what happened to my "quote" you used! It's hilariously jumbled. Yeah though. Nothing's completely bullet proof, and avast doesn't make vinyl tubing, so that's not really on them anyway.

that is strange. you probably can put a float valve on the end of the feed tube as well to prevent overfilling if the lines break.

The newest version of the sensor tube uses a quick connect rather than the small barbed fitting that was used on the original design. This should be more durable.

The newest version of the sensor tube uses a quick connect rather than the small barbed fitting that was used on the original design. This should be more durable.

sweet, ill have to check their site to see if they have an upgrade kit.