Vacation help exchange

mling

With Summer in full swing, I was wondering if it would be feasible to use the WAMAS forum to set up what I would call a "Vacation help exchange". Have members who live near each other keep an eye on another's tank while they are away.  For instance, I have my neighbor keep an eye on my tank while I will be away for 3 weeks. They will be topping off the auto off and feeding the fishes in the aggressive tank with frozen food. The other fishes are on an auto feeder. However, if there was an emergency, I don't think they would be able to handle it, it would be nice to have a WAMAS member on stand by for such situations.

Any thoughts ?

We have a map of members. can we tweek that to include members interested in this ?

I will be looking into a service or some arrangement for next year.  We take the same week in August on vacation, and this year it will be empty, but next year it will definitely not be.  I was going to contact Rob (zygote2k) since he gets up here from time to time to do a couple of check-ins during the week and have a neighbor do the feedings.

That said, I'd add myself to a list somewhere as willing to help with MD I-270 located tank emergencies.

I don't know if we need an "exchange" started, just find some local reefers you trust and have them stop over. The member map might help you. I would not post anything about your trip, such as dates, in this thread since it is in the public area where everyone can see it. If you really need to find someone post it up in the members only area. I like the idea of having zygote2k doing the check-ins.

Friends check in on other friends tanks routinely here. It's not a formal program of any sort. When you need support, just ask. You'll probably find help.

The member map is not an official WAMAS resource. It's privately managed by a couple of members here, though. Our privacy policy precludes our posting this sort of information about members publicly.

(Sent from my phone.)

And whereas I don't mind asking someone to check in my tank...my husband HATES having people in our house when we aren't there, so we only use licensed and bonded pet watchers if we have to. He doesn't even really like to ask our friends, because just n case something happens...fire, flood, theft....there won't be any blame or anyone feeling bad...

I'm just sayin...if it were a day or 2 not a biggie but 3 weeks...and I'm sure you've known you neighbbors for years (we seem to move every 3 years so don't really get to know anyone well enough)

Mike, I am close so can probably head over if things get overwhelming for your neighbor.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

And whereas I don't mind asking someone to check in my tank...my husband HATES having people in our house when we aren't there, so we only use licensed and bonded pet watchers if we have to. He doesn't even really like to ask our friends, because just n case something happens...fire, flood, theft....there won't be any blame or anyone feeling bad...

I'm just sayin...if it were a day or 2 not a biggie but 3 weeks...and I'm sure you've known you neighbbors for years (we seem to move every 3 years so don't really get to know anyone well enough)

I'm the same way as your husband. Just like I would never sell a car to a friend, even if it was in 100% working order, if something goes wrong with it....

I would be horrified if something happened to a tank I was watching when it happened. I would have to make the owner sign a waiver or something first.

I've helped watch members' tanks. In most cases, things go just fine or some minor maintenance is needed. In one case, though, there was a more complicated problem with the potential to have real consequences that two of us resolved for the WAMAS member while he was on travel. It's good to have experienced friends that you trust looking after things, or at least to be on call if needed.