thank you

Huly

Thank you to all who helped organize an awesome frag fest. This was our first and Pez and I both enjoyed it.

Thank you all

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Second this, thanks to all the vendors club members, and guests!

(edited)

Thanks to everyone who I bought from and traded with me.  Everything is in Coral quarantine! Good news is I dipped everything and nothing crazy came off.

qtank.jpg

Edited by rocko918

Totally had a lot of fun. Even the wife enjoyed it. Can't believe how much free frags were available! I want to say that we came home with 11 freebies and paid for 9-10 more. Well worth adding $15 to get a family membership. Go WAMAS!

This was my first time at FF and had a great time.  Jumping from line to line trying to get the frag that I wanted was not fun but worth the effort.  I came home with 6 free frags on top of the 3 I bought. The vendors had some good looking frags and great deals too.  Now I need to get a bigger tank.   :clap:

Thank you WAMAS leadership!

Great big shout out to everyone that made today possible. Special thanks to Air, Water and Ice for donating the awesome RO/DI filter I got in the Raffle.!!!!!!!

Yes, thanks to everyone that donated their time and corals, much appreciated. I am super overwhelmed at how many corals came home. It's Christmas in July. Nice to meet a few new people as well.

Thanks to all the officers and vendors for putting on a great fragfest.  Great to see old faces and meet some new people.  

Thank you to people who brought food - it was great having more variety and quantity!

What I really wanted was to win that big tank I have no place for, so I could taunt Rob with it. He really wanted that tank! I almost asked him, "if I win that tank, what will you trade me for it?" But then realized since I only put in 1 ticket and never win anything, that it was too little chance to even think about winning it. Then the guy who only put in one ticket won it... congratulations!

I'd like to thank the young lady who took that water off my hands, because I dreaded the idea of lugging it back home.

Thank you to the vendors for having so many tempting eye candies displayed for sale. Thanks Dr. Mac for the nice zoas :) 

Thank you to the folks dealing with the fragging and bagging, for being willing to get stinky coral hands.

Thank you to all the donors of the raffle prizes. I didn't win any, but it was a nice dream while waiting for winners to be announced.

Yes, same as above.  Thanks to all!!! It was a great time.  And to whoever accidentally took home my bucket lid...  what gives bro? :P  (I probably just didnt find it, I'm the typical guy that sucks at looking for things)

When I got home and my wife saw how many frags I had, she almost lost it thinking I spent hundreds of dollars lol.  nope only had to pay for a few, WHAT AN EVENT!  WAMAS is AMAZING!

oh and my son beat his Ben10 video game while there, thats a big milestone for him too.  So, thanks to eveyone for your support in not interupting his 3DS playing...

oh and my son beat his Ben10 video game while there, thats a big milestone for him too.  So, thanks to eveyone for your support in not interupting his 3DS playing...

WHY DID YOU WAIT SO LONG TO TELL US! Enough about those free frags, there should have been an announcement made at the event!

This was my first time at FF too and Thanks goes out to everyone setting it up and everyone who brought food and drinks, Pizza guys pizza was great. It might not have been the best way with all the different lines but I cant complain since in a small building and everyone wanting most all the frags they can get, its gonna be a little hectic, but hey its free frags so I'll go along with whatever. Thanks again, I got a lot of nice frags and dipped them all with nothing coming off.

Thanks to all that helped out. We probably do need more space for the 225+ that were there yesterday.

Sorry to those that had to jump from line to line and would certainly accept all suggestions and volunteers. We certainly want to find a way that makes everyone happy and be fair. I would rather be standing on the other side of that table, trust me! We will make sure we have more tile saws available next time. We had so many corals donated last minute we were not able to keep up. We gave out over 1600 frags yesterday!

I had such a great time. Thanks for letting me be apart of the event. I had learned somethin new too(first time fraging lps and sps), and made allot of new cool friends.

I was the guy who was running the saw, and baging, with long.hair wearing a BlackShirt having A Great Time...

Thank You Everybody. o_O;-)

Thanks to all that helped out. We probably do need more space for the 225+ that were there yesterday.

Sorry to those that had to jump from line to line and would certainly accept all suggestions and volunteers. We certainly want to find a way that makes everyone happy and be fair. I would rather be standing on the other side of that table, trust me! We will make sure we have more tile saws available next time. We had so many corals donated last minute we were not able to keep up. We gave out over 1600 frags yesterday!

Yall did a great job!

Yup Yup.  Was a good time.   Thanks to all to helped organize and pitched in to help.   Clearly I missed out on the SPS give away...  Got plenty of LPS though...  oh well.  Win some, lose some.  :cool:

I don't know about you guys, but I dipped all my frags in Pro-coral cure, then in a Revive solution and then let them soak in a solution of Coral Amino and Restor.  

btw:  Did someone get a leather that's not doing so well?  I heard someone may have lost a finger cutting up coral.   :tongue:

The last couple FF people were able to pick from a couple different things when they got to the front of the line, not be told they had to go back to the end of the line with nothing. There were 2 different corals being fragged/bagged at the same time with no way to really know from back in the line that only a specific one was being handed out, especially when I did see some people taking frags of the other coral from the other line which I never heard was announced for that coral. Not to sound ungrateful, but while people walked away with gobs of frags, this unexpected restriction left me with only 2 frags that I wanted, so I was really disappointed on top of feeling like passing out from standing all day with asthma making it hard to breathe.

Next year I'm not going to bother with that nonsense.

I didn't take home a single frag from what was being dealt for free (I did get some free pre planned frags from forum members though.) The lines were not worth it, IMO, although it's really nice that it's done. I enjoyed 3 things about it:

1.) The speaker. Not just this past event, but all our WAMAS meets, I honestly enjoy learning about these things, and it's great to have such awesome resources in the area.

2.) The fact that most of the club members get together. This is a great way to put faces to avatars, and even get to know our group a little bit better. Also, buying, selling, trading... when you can plan all that in advance, it makes for an awesome time!

3.) The vendors all in one place. That's awesome for me, and I love the fact that we are so lucky to have such great vendors in the area as well!

On the free frags subject... what a great thing to do. I didn't know it was part of this clubs deal, but it is amazing. For those like Forrest that maybe felt a little gipped, I do have a solution. I think it was intended to be a coral fragging demo (great concept, execution lacked...)

I think if corals were fragged and bagged before hand, it would be easier to hand out and distribute to those interested. I was even thinking, we could project from above, the fragging process, and display the image on screen, so everybody could see, without gathering around. Those corals that were fragged could go back to vendor, club member, whomever, instead of the frenzied lines. Maybe not a perfect idea, but a thought...

I know the raffle tickets can be earned by supporting sponsors what about a similar concept some way to earn the frags? Doesn't have to be a monetary purchase but for those who lend a hand by setting up breaking down, bringing water, bringing food, and by supporting sponsors. I'm Just playing skeeball and thought of ticket redemptions as a kid.

1,600 frags were handed out for free in about 90 - 120 minutes. That's what? About 13 - 17 per minute?

By the way, Doug spent several hours on Saturday driving around and collecting colonies, then pre-fragging many for this... for you, for me (I only picked one that I wanted), for everybody.

Thank you, Doug, for the exceptional effort.

(Sent from my phone.)

1,600 frags were handed out for free in about 90 - 120 minutes. That's what? About 13 - 17 per minute? By the way, Doug spent several hours on Saturday driving around and collecting colonies, then pre-fragging many for this... for you. Thank you, Doug, for the exceptional effort. (Sent from my phone.)

Thank you Doug!

Tom, just want to be clear, I am not complaining, or even gripping here...

I was not at all concerned with getting free frags, but more so the fragging process. I would have liked to have been able to observe it without the lines. I have a few friends who are professional videographers, who I'm sure I could get to donate their time and equipment to next years event in order to make that happen!

No problem. I just wanted to register my thanks.

We have actually had cameras on the saw before in the past. It was still hard to see in the light. The coral donations were fewer and the number of people were less. Maybe a few fragging videos could be shown. There's actually some decent ones on YouTube if people care to look. Techniques vary mostly by coral form, which often dictates the tool to use.

Among the tools I use:

Small hammer (great for fracturing branching SPS while in the tank)

Single edged razor or scalpel, for softies - sometimes a small screwdriver to chisel something off of a rock

Bone cutters, or wire cutters (rinse and dry afterwards to minimize rust)

Long-nosed pliers. Sometimes it's easier to just grab the hard coral in the jaws of the pliers and twist slightly.

My hands (gloved, sometimes)

Dremel tool with cutoff wheel. This works for stuff like euphyllia, even some fungia.

Tile saw (for big stuff), others use a bandsaw.

Sometimes I'll mount them to a plug or a piece of rock rubble. For some softies, you can sandwich the frag between rubble and hold it together with a rubber band. (This works for gorgonians, too.) Sometimes, I'll just put the frag on the sand bed and let it branch there.

One piece of advice: I find that if you place most SPS frags on their side, rather than upright like a tree, they will tend to encrust, grow and branch more quickly.

Anthony Calfo's Book of Coral Propagation is worth looking at.

(Sent from my phone.)

Doug always works hard for meetings, as do others.

I usually don't do the line & free frag thing like that, but my sps disaster made me do it. Last year instead of trying to get free frags, I brought a little tank and made $300 bucks from sales (majority pre-arranged), gave away some free frags of my own, and bought some frags from other folks.