school of firefish

treesprite

(edited)

Got tired trying to figure out what to do with my tank for fish. Firefish are usually kept single or bonded pair in an aquarium, but on the reef are together in groups, and in an adequate tank can be kept in groups. So I gave in and got a school of 7. Still a bit risky, but so far they are doing fine with each other.

Here they are in QT:

ffinqt_zpsaedb5e56.jpg

Here in the tank, where they have been for about 2 weeks:

ffintank2weeks_zps7aafcff9.jpg

Edited by treesprite

That is awesome. My wife and I love firefish, our little one that we named Vince was our first saltwater fish we got and he's still swimming around 4 and a half years later.

Keep us posted on whether there are any aggression issues.

(edited)

Same as above, I am interested in longer-term aggression. Thanks for trying this out!

What size tank are they in?

Edited by Jason Rhoads

They are in a 75g tank. Half the reason for re-doing my aquascaping was to accommodate the firefish. If aggression becomes a problem, there will be such a multitude of hidey holes throughout the tank that they will all be able to stay out of each others' ways.

I just now saw my blue reef chromis chasing a couple firefish (they dodged him pretty well). This I hope will allow the need for "protection in numbers"  from tankmates to override the need to fight each other, I just hope the chromis doesn't get crazy and try to do real damage.

Oh, here is a very interesting observation.  Since getting the firefish, my clowns have been swimming around in the upper half of the tank, which they never did before (grabbing food is not swimming). My tang sometimes goes up there picking around, but he is up there are lot more now too. Very interesting social changes going on in the tank.

Very interesting, when I got my Pajama Cardinals a couple months ago my firefish started hanging out with them a bit, they seem to be ok with it too. When I got my two gobies and pistol shrimp years ago he tried to hang out with them too, much to the disapproval of the pistol shrimp and eventually gave up after a couple of wounds and torn fins.

I can't keep firefish because they jump out, so to save time, when I buy them and open the bag, I throw them on the floor. :unsure:

Following. Larger numbers often spread the aggression around so maybe this will work. Keep us updated.

(Sent from my phone)

I can't keep firefish because they jump out, so to save time, when I buy them and open the bag, I throw them on the floor. :unsure:

LOL.

HAHAHA

That is pretty funny. Then back in , right??? Just to the Ground, cause that where they always seem to want to go...

That is pretty funny. Then back in , right??? Just to the Ground, cause that where they always seem to want to go...

No, they stay there and dry up. I find that if I do that with Jawfish I can also save time as they always end up on the floor.

I think it will make them less competitive if I stretch the feeding out over several hours a tiny bit at a time, rather than put in a bunch of food all at once like I was doing.  I'll have to think about getting an auto feeder to spread it out even more.

I think it will make them less competitive if I stretch the feeding out over several hours a tiny bit at a time, rather than put in a bunch of food all at once like I was doing.  I'll have to think about getting an auto feeder to spread it out even more.

Sounds like a good. Idea. I just try to .make sure mine spreads out over the whole water current. But love and hate the auto.feeders

(edited)

100th Post

o_O

Dam, I forgot to look when I had 100 posts.  I didn't even know those numbers under your name were post counts.  I thought they were social security numbers or lottery winners.

I have a lot of posts but I just realized that all but 100 of them ( including this one) were nonsence and should be deleted. :wacko:

Edited by paul b

Dam, I forgot to look when I had 100 posts. I didn't even know those numbers under your name were post counts. I thought they were social security numbers or lottery winners.

I have a lot of posts but I just realized that all but 100 of them ( including this one) were nonsence and should be deleted. :wacko:

Ooooh I disagree....love me some Paul b posts!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Dam, I forgot to look when I had 100 posts. I didn't even know those numbers under your name were post counts. I thought they were social security numbers or lottery winners.

ha ha. Lottery Winners.lol

just Stoked about bein more involved with the club. Finally I got a club in which i feel as tho I belong.

Just ribbing you bro. I thought I posted alot, but you sir are putting me to shame.

(edited)

Video from yesterday. They are leaving each other alone, but the blue reef chromis seems to like the taste of their tails.

http://youtu.be/k4GHtX5_ODw

It's just incredible seeing how much livelier the tank is, since the firefish have somehow got the other fish acting much livelier. Before I put the firefish in there, most of the water was just empty of fish.

Edited by treesprite

• 3 weeks later...
(edited)

It's been 3 months since I first put them together (May 7th), and I have have still not seen a single sign of aggression.

I have a question. Are conspecific fish more likely to fight together in tighter quarters or more open quarters? I'm wondering because for a couple months they were in a QT that was only a 10g tank and about 1/3rd of that space was taken up by a skimmer rated for a 100g tank w/ a 500gph pump on it, plus a few pieces of liverock, plus the scissortail dartfish were in there with them.

Edited by treesprite