Questions about FragFest

Arkonen

Hey guys.  So I had some questions in regards to some details with the upcoming FragFest. I'm sure they are trivial but this will be the first meeting I'll be attending so I want to make sure it's all good :cool:

1.  Are we allowed to bring camera gear to take pictures of all the setups and frags?  If yes, is there any photography limitations?

2. Is there any stipulation or limitations of frags received? Are we allowed to trade with other members or is it an "everyone gets X" deal?

3. Will there be other frags for sale besides the allotted/designated free ones?  Will other livestock be for sale?

4. Will the vendors that will be selling merchandise have other items besides just frags?

5. What all does the raffle/door prize entail?

6. What is the average length of the meetings?

7. Do I need to bring a chair or a bucket to sit on? :laugh:

8. Do I need to bring baggies to transport coral/livestock or are they provided? 

Sorry to blast y'all with a ton of questions, just very excited to participate.

1.  Are we allowed to bring camera gear to take pictures of all the setups and frags?  If yes, is there any photography limitations?

You can always bring a camera, but if you're taking pictures of other members' or vendors' stuff, you should ask permission.

2. Is there any stipulation or limitations of frags received? Are we allowed to trade with other members or is it an "everyone gets X" deal?

Normally, if there aren't enough of one frag or another to go around, we'll do something to randomly pick a part of the group that wants some. Some may get luckier at being in the right line than another.

3. Will there be other frags for sale besides the allotted/designated free ones?  Will other livestock be for sale?

Some members pre-arrange sales in threads posted in advance. Be on the lookout.

4. Will the vendors that will be selling merchandise have other items besides just frags?

Maybe now's a good time to explain fragfest. It's not a fragswap or necessarily a frag sale. Sponsors donate corals that we frag and hand out (for free) to members. Vendors may be there showing their wares. The space is limited in our selected venue so we'll do our best to accommodate but sponsors will get first shot at space available.

5. What all does the raffle/door prize entail?

Buy raffle tickets for various items on display. Put your tickets into containers for this item or that. When we draw for that item and call your name, it's yours. If it's livestock, we need you to be present for the drawing. If not, we'll do our best to get it to you later if we can figure out who you are.

6. What is the average length of the meetings?

Duration can vary. Most meetings start at 1 PM and end by 5 or 6. We post an agenda that we try, somewhat, to follow. It typically starts out with some social time to meet and greet fellow reefers. Then we'll announcements followed by a speaker. When that's all done, we have an intermission followed by the raffle. That's a typical meeting. FragFest will be a little different. The speaker part will be a little shorter. The raffle part will be shared between the frags being handed out and the raffle going on. One will precede the other - most likely the frag handout will precede.

7. Do I need to bring a chair or a bucket to sit on? :laugh:

No.

8. Do I need to bring baggies to transport coral/livestock or are they provided? 

Frags that are given out are given to you in a ziploc bag, so you don't need to bring that. However, you're advised to bring a small cooler or some other means of holding the temperature on your frags. Don't bring a big, full-sized cooler. We don't have enough room for everybody to do that. You can always keep whatever cooler you have, though, in your car. If you do that, we don't care how big it is.

You're welcome. I hope others who will be first-timers will also find it helpful. Good questions. Thanks for asking them.

My first meeting happened to be a FragFest. I'll tell you, I left that meeting giddy at the number of frags I'd walked out with. Most frags are SPS but some will be LPS. I don't think I've seen too many softies handed out in the past. It depends on what we get from our sponsors. Also, sometimes some members will donate a colony or stuff they've trimmed off of overgrown corals in their system.

You're welcome. I hope others who will be first-timers will also find it helpful. Good questions. Thanks for asking them.

My first meeting happened to be a FragFest. I'll tell you, I left that meeting giddy at the number of frags I'd walked out with. Most frags are SPS but some will be LPS. I don't think I've seen too many softies handed out in the past. It depends on what we get from our sponsors. Also, sometimes some members will donate a colony or stuff they've trimmed off of overgrown corals in their system.

(Looking at Tom's join date). That must have been the hallway one, which I think was the first one (am I wrong?), which is why no one had the experience with FF events to know that a school hallway would not be a large enough space. It was so scrunched and crowded crammed in that hall that we couldn't see anything, let alone get a bunch of frags. I think  a small number of people got a significant amount of loot, while the rest were lucky to get a single frag.

Wait...free frags?!

Only for people with screen names that start with A,B,C,E,F,G,H,I,J,K,L,M,N,O,P,Q,R,S,T,U,V,W,X,Y, and Z for this one.

Only for people with screen names that start with A,B,C,E,F,G,H,I,J,K,L,M,N,O,P,Q,R,S,T,U,V,W,X,Y, and Z for this one.

OK seriously hysterical.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Yeah, last year people who had screen names that started with S missed out, I was pretty upset :cry:

We cried together...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

We've never had a FFE (frag fest extravaganza) in a school hallway.

We had a meeting where I manually divided an anemone for someone and it turned into a demonstration of sorts.

FFE is a very causal, yet informative, meeting held once a year as our summer meeting.

We have a member hot dog chef on site with plenty of food, fun, info and of course, FRAGS.

If you're an existing paid member in good standing or a newly minted member that day, FFE is sure not to disappoint.

Not everyone gets a frag of everything we demo frag, but anyone interested generally takes plenty of different frags home.

Take what you can keep alive and remember, the person in front of you, behind you and on either side of you.

As always, it is your responsibility to dip and QT your corals and/or fish using your preferred method, REGARDLESS of where you got it from.

Frag fest was my first meeting last year. It was great! I think I walked away with 3 or 4 free frags....and a few I bought from sponsors on site. I could have gotten more free ones...but it was a new system and I didn't want to accidentally kill a bunch of frags when someone else might have enjoyed them. And yes, I did kill one...or a hermit buried him anyway.

I met some people, got some cool stuff, ate some food and just got to know WAMAS a bit better. Really glad I came out last year and I'm going back this year. Tell your Wamas officers and volunteers thank you...cause they are the ones working for nothing but grins and chuckles

What I'm talking about was not just an anemone, there were corals involved. Perhaps some would consider the spot a front entrance area, but some tables along the wall of the connecting hall were involved. The second was the first time at the McLean church. At least that's how I recall it. I'm debating whether to dig through history to find more substantial info than my old lady memory.