Glass for baffles

Enkay

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you have a pencil or something underneath it to concentrate the stress under the scratch? It normally resists and then rather suddenly releases.

You need to snap it. Lay if flat on the table and line the etched line along the edge of a table. Then slightly raise it about an inch and let it fall. It will snap right on the line nice and clean. You can also take the ball end and tap on the opposite side of the glass from where you scored the line. This will cause the glass to crack at the line. It doesn't leave as clean of an edge when using the ball to pre crack. I prefer to snap it down on the edge of a table. If it is thick glass you can score both side of the glass to help it snap.

Lol.. Ok.. I'm done breaking glass.. I'm gonna get AA to make me a sump.. Lol I've broken 3 panes of glass... I have about 5 panes left from old tanks for down the road when I upgrade and go to attempt this again.. Lol

Thanks for the help tho guys.. You all rock!

I recently book-marked a really cool article doing this with weather stripping and plexiglass. Never did it, so DIY'er beware:  

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume_3/cav3i1/Baffles/bafflesart.htm

I did this one time, paid too much for the glass, mis-measured the height of the baffles, struggled to get it siliconed in, and then it wouldn't work.  Never went back.  Still have that 20 L with the baffles if anyone wants to donate a Zoa frag or two for it.

Ross

I ordered the weatherstripping from McMaster-Carr that they cite in the article and just installed some baffles.  No water in it yet.  Will do that tonight or tomorrow night and let folks know how it holds and if it leaks.

IMAG0411_zpsb1c6948a.jpg

So the epdm foam thing doesnt work. It holds for a while, but starts slipping and then it seems to be game over. I had 12 inches on one side and 11 inches on the other. You wouldnt think an inch would push that hard but it slipped and just failed totally.

Also, the adhesive is extremely difficult to get off the acrylic edge.

Maybe it would have held if i had mde the bffles larger so they would be tighter, but i just followed the instructions...

Thanks for the personal feedback as I've always wondered if it would work. I would fear if you went bigger you could put too much pressure on the glass side walls which could make them crack.

Right. Supposedly the acrylic eventually swells. That might have eventually made it hold, but it failed too soon, heh. Maybe if I had measured 1/8 instead of 1/4 smaller to do the cut...

So now i have these acrylic sheets with 1/8 on the sides. I will try to use rtv100 to hold them in. Think that will grab em and hold?

I have installed acrylic baffles using silicone before and they held very good. Even had trouble pulling them out to change the sump around. If you use sand paper to rough up the acrylic the silicone will hold better. It's a sump so doesn't need to be real pretty so the silicone can be laid thick to hold better.

Do you put the silicone on the edges and also on the glass with some tape to confine it? Or just blob it between two straps of tape and smoosh the baffles into it?

I ran it along one side. Pushed it over a little to smush it good. Silicone the other side an smooth it with my finger.

It's a sump. It doesn't have to be pretty. It doesn't even have to be water tight. As long as if leaks slower than your pump the baffle will do its job.

For the baffles that go to the bottom of the tank it helps to round off the corners with some sand paper. If not the existing silicone in the bottom will prevent the baffle from going all the way down.

Lowes also has glass and will cut it for you. Be sure your measurements are correct though. I had to go back twice due to my poor measuring skills.

I would vote for HD or Lowes...worked for me. Went heavy on the silcone...and I think maybe erred on the wide size as 1-degree crooked baffles is ok, but baffles too small leave gaps silicone can't really solve

For the baffles that go to the bottom of the tank it helps to round off the corners with some sand paper. If not the existing silicone in the bottom will prevent the baffle from going all the way down.

That's true. I also clip off the bottom corners.

Were they cheaper there than a local glass shop?

Not really sure I never checked. I am just lazy and would rather have someone bring it to me :). If I remember correctly, it cost me about $30 dollars for 5 baffles for my 40 breeder. Glass was 1/4" thick.

I tried the Lowes stuff before, but way too thin for my liking. Easily breaks.

Sorry for the delay. what are the dimensions of a 40 breeder? 

Jan,

Will they be a good enough size for baffles in a 40 breeder ?

Coral Hind,

I have never cut glass before but its worth a try.

Sorry for the delay. what are the dimensions of a 40 breeder? 

PM sent.

Have you tried Banner Glass, they are close to you?

5733 Seminary Rd

Falls Church, VA 22041

Neighborhood: Bailey's Crossroads

(703) 820-1515

I still have the old 20g tank I can cut for you if you need it, just not too close to you.