Glass for baffles

Enkay

Hello all,

I am making a sump out of a 40 breeder. Can anyone point me to where I might be able to get glass (for cheap ;))? Are there any local shops in NoVa which will sell pieces of precut glass for this?

Thanks!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can also get them at home depot.  it's near to the acryllic in the window / door area at my home depot.  I think they'll even help you cut it, or at least show you how. 

Lowes also has glass and will cut it for you. Be sure your measurements are correct though. I had to go back twice due to my poor measuring skills.

I have two glass panes from a tank cover that you can have. I think they were for a 20 gallon tank.

Thank you all.

What thickness glass would you recommend?

Jan,

Will they be a good enough size for baffles in a 40 breeder ?

Coral Hind,

I have never cut glass before but its worth a try.

I've done it for a few members here in the past. PM me the sizes and I'll see if I can cut them for you either out of Jan's lid or my old tank scrap. This week is busy with family so it might be next week.

I've done it for a few members here in the past. PM me the sizes and I'll see if I can cut them for you either out of Jan's lid or my old tank scrap. This week is busy with family so it might be next week.

Thank you. I am not in a great hurry either. My tank is slated to arrive around the 11th. I will measure and send you the the details in a couple days.

I recently book-marked a really cool article doing this with weather stripping and plexiglass. Never did it, so DIY'er beware:  

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume_3/cav3i1/Baffles/bafflesart.htm

I did this one time, paid too much for the glass, mis-measured the height of the baffles, struggled to get it siliconed in, and then it wouldn't work.  Never went back.  Still have that 20 L with the baffles if anyone wants to donate a Zoa frag or two for it.

Ross

Very nicely done. Worth a try on a smaller project first though.

Very nicely done. Worth a try on a smaller project first though.

I have acrylic sheets too if you want that instead. 

CH what do you use to cut the glass?

I use a classic Red Devil glass cutter to score the glass and then snap it. Then take a sanding block to smooth the edges. Very simple to do!!

Lol so I just tried cutting my 29 g tank.. Cracked one of the panes.

i was told 29 gallon tanks are really hard to drill as well for some reason. not sure why.