proof of hybridization required

zygote2k

Sam is trying to convince me that he has a Black/Scopus Hybrid Tang. I say he doesn't have enough evidence to support the claim.

I agree that there are hybrids of these 2 species but I also believe that there are 'blacker' variants of regular Scopus Tangs and 'lighter' variants of the Black Tangs and without a DNA test, it would be hard to prove exactly what kind of fish he has.

What say you?

Personally, I know nothing of the fish,but I know Sam is a stand up guy... However, my thoughts on hybrids are that like lots of other things in this hobby, people are always trying to find an edge in marketing. Deepwater, hybrid, rainbow even terms like Ultra get thrown around way to much in this hobby. Between photo-shopped pics and misleading titles I would be hesitant to pay more for something without proof. Much like pure breed dogs, without documentation theyre just another dog. So without scientific proof, I would always be skeptical. Again, my feelings have nothing to do with Sam, as I find him to be very knowledgable and a very good guy. 

Whats the linage of the fish.? How bout info and a pic..?

my thoughts on hybrids are that like lots of other things in this hobby, people are always trying to find an edge in marketing. Deepwater, hybrid, rainbow even terms like Ultra get thrown around way to much in this hobby. Between photo-shopped pics and misleading titles I would be hesitant to pay more for something without proof. Much like pure breed dogs, without documentation they're just another dog.

This.

Your tang has some black tang in it too...

yea, nose like a black tang, gems like a gem tang and tail like a scopus.   He's for sale too!

I don't see how characteristics can be held as proof. 

things have been misclassified for hundreds of years.

The only other viable option you already provided, which would be a DNA test? The question mark is there because would that actually tell you what kind of Tang it is? I'm working on my Biology skills.

I have had these fish many times, they are pretty common and much less expensive then a regular black tang. They come from the same waters as the black tang, and quite honestly I have had them and seen them with several different characteristics mentioned above. So answering your question, you need to know your source and need to know that the source knows what they are talking about. Many of the divers in the islands have no idea what they are catching, and many of the wholesalers in LA are just as clueless .

I have had these fish many times, they are pretty common and much less expensive then a regular black tang. They come from the same waters as the black tang, and quite honestly I have had them and seen them with several different characteristics mentioned above. So answering your question, you need to know your source and need to know that the source knows what they are talking about. Many of the divers in the islands have no idea what they are catching, and many of the wholesalers in LA are just as clueless .

I think this is very well put.