300 dd tank cracked by moving company during move....

goodreeef

They stood it up on its end on pebbles and rocks in my yard, and it etched and a small crack in the end pane of glass. They were insured , but the fine print said only $50.00 per item. Needless to say I am sick to my stomach. I am sure I will be dealing with this for weeks, the little bit of good news is i paid by credit card and USAA will work with me.

I hope this helps some one avoid the pain i am going to go through. Do we have a lawyer in the group???

Do not use this company US Relocate,USA Moving and storage.

$50 per item? That's ridiculous! The only thing I care about their insurance for is my really expensive stuff.

I think each of my pair of jeans is more than $50 to replace ...

Speaking of movers, I had bad experience with Tri State movers. They have hidden fees. They charged me travel expenses, gas, wrapping materials with excessive amount. I'm glad they did not have move my 210gl. On the top of that, they want to charge me OT, when they were still working, under 5. Lesson learned. When dealing with any movers, you need to clarify all charges. They just took the $$ from my USAA this morning with the wrong amount. Need lawyer as well :((

Please PM me with which moving company you used so that I NEVER, EVER call them. 

Breaking stuff is one thing.  But only offering $50 as a replacement is ludicrous.  I would seriously consider having a consultation with a lawyer to examine the validity of their contract, that clause and any other recourse of action available.  That aquarium costs thousands of dollars.  $50 to replace it is just insulting.  I would be ZOMGWTFBBQ mad. 

$50 per item? That's ridiculous! The only thing I care about their insurance for is my really expensive stuff.

I think each of my pair of jeans is more than $50 to replace ...

The last time I broke a pair of jeans, I'm pretty sure I broke more than the jeans did. 

Sorry for the loss, goodreef. It may be worth trying to replace the panel. Send Naga a PM and explain your situation. He may be able to remove and replace the panel.

Please PM me with which moving company you used so that I NEVER, EVER call them. 

Breaking stuff is one thing.  But only offering $50 as a replacement is ludicrous.  I would seriously consider having a consultation with a lawyer to examine the validity of their contract, that clause and any other recourse of action available.  That aquarium costs thousands of dollars.  $50 to replace it is just insulting.  I would be ZOMGWTFBBQ mad. 

The last time I broke a pair of jeans, I'm pretty sure I broke more than the jeans did. 

I was assuming the $50 also covers loss. That's the only thing that would make sense is if they lose a box of stuff.

Speaking of movers, I had bad experience with Tri State movers. They have hidden fees. They charged me travel expenses, gas, wrapping materials with excessive amount. I'm glad they did not have move my 210gl. On the top of that, they want to charge me OT, when they were still working, under 5. Lesson learned. When dealing with any movers, you need to clarify all charges. They just took the $$ from my USAA this morning with the wrong amount. Need lawyer as well :((

exact same thing with this mover. quote for $160.00/hr estimate of two hours ended up being $837.00!!!

anyway I have talked to credit card company and the payment will most likely be refused by USAA(talking about a good company USAA is one) I have also spoke to CivilTree (small claims internet company) and they said it is almost a open/shut case. Lots of cases against moving companies ,the guy said!

OH the joy of moving companies!  Long story short we used Quality Movers to move us 2 years ago.  I ordered the extra insurance (signed off by me and their crew).  They cracked a side piece on our plasma tv.  Well their crew forgot to charge me for the insurance so they refused to cover it.  Luckily the TV still works can't really notice it unless you look for it.  I thought about taking them to court and called the BBB but their is not any regulations for these companies and if I did take them to court they would just change the company name so they don't have to pay.  You have to take the owners of the company to court if you can find the exact owner as they will lie to you knowing what you might try to do. 

lol i of course have a story :)

(I moved my tanks up here myself in a rented uhaul trailer though...so no tank horror story thankfully)

The movers that were hired on this end of the move to place our stuff in the rooms apparently had an aversion to deodorant....and when I say the smell was horrendous I am being kind....well it didn't dawn on me that when they laid on the carpets in my daughter's bedroom to fix something that was going on with the bed frame that it would create a smell that was indescribable.  They left and that night I was laying in her bed with her and the smell hit me....it was so strong I had to resist the temptation to get up and make sure he wasn't under the bed....We tried home carpet cleaners, profession cleaners and nothing could remove the smell. The moving company refused to cover the charge of new carpeting or the expense of trying to clean it....it was was so bad I can't even tell you....

Just as there are specialty movers for pianos there are movers who just move aquariums. One just has to do a little extra search. The little bits of knowledge ( like stand the tank up on end with a moving blanket) help keep a nightmare from happening. BTW I am a USAA member also and that has its big perks as you've probably known.

If you would like me to take a look at the damage I may be able to help you out getting it fixed. Give me a call.

Just as there are specialty movers for pianos there are movers who just move aquariums. One just has to do a little extra search. The little bits of knowledge ( like stand the tank up on end with a moving blanket) help keep a nightmare from happening. BTW I am a USAA member also and that has its big perks as you've probably known.

If you would like me to take a look at the damage I may be able to help you out getting it fixed. Give me a call.

actually i talked to a glass company and they said if you can feel the scratch with your fingernail it can not be buffed out, and I am not comfortable with replacing the end panel.

I think WAMAS should setup a moving service for moving tanks.Those people you mention are too expensive, I thought this mover could do it for less than $500.00(turned out not to be true).

Are their young folks with good backs on this forum wiiling to help move a tank for $75.00 per person?(HA!HA!)

actually i talked to a glass company and they said if you can feel the scratch with your fingernail it can not be buffed out, and I am not comfortable with replacing the end panel.

I think WAMAS should setup a moving service for moving tanks.Those people you mention are too expensive, I thought this mover could do it for less than $500.00(turned out not to be true).

Are their young folks with good backs on this forum wiiling to help move a tank for $75.00 per person?(HA!HA!)

CAN'T be buffed out!!

Ah Yes the nightmares of moving companies. I'll share my store as well, some of you know I just bought Mike Marsh's 225 gallon tank stand and canopy. Well I arranged for a moving company out of Annapolis to move it from Fairfax to my house in Annapolis. Long and short of the story is they showed up 6 1/2 hours late, then said that he couldn't move it with the four guys that he brought, but for $1200 him and his guys would do it. Which was a lot more than the agreed price. I told him no chance, so he said that he would be back at 7am the next morning with more guys. So I drove back out to Fairfax and at 9:00 I call their office and gusse who answered the phone. Yup the same guy that gave me his word he would be there, so I excused myself to the deck and chew him up one side and down the other. I can't tell you how nice the Marsh family was about the whole event. I was still in need of a tank move, so Jeff Hadock to the rescue, him and his crew of three guys showed up the next weekend on time, move the aquarium, stand and canopy out of Mike's house in under an hour. Drove them to my house unloaded and moved everything into my house without an issue or damage to tank or house. Jeff did it on time and for the agreed price. Can't thank Jeff enough for his professionalism and efforts to meet my schedule. So next time you guys need a tank move call Jeff (NAGA).

Well...since we're all jumping in...we have moved 7 times in the last 12 years...with that said...never a horrible experience...just some stuff to learn from, like never let the movers take the base off of your tv....especially since the guy that took it apart is not the same guy that will put it back together if you are moving states....

Secondly ALWAYS drive your 2nd vehicle...never have an auto transport company move it...my truck "had" to be picked up 2 days early before we were leaving and then magically it got to VA before us? When does that ever happen,,,,,when you tell the company any day after x...then they try leaving it at a tow yard and having to pay all kinds of storage fees...

Well...after having to call the police and 4 tow yards...the 4th told us about some 'unsavory none licensed' yards and gave us a few numbers...first one we called had my truck...anyways after we got there after some smooth talking , the transport company never made the tow company sign for my truck, thereby making me not have to pay the tow for the transport...just the storage fees for 2 days...

I called and left a lengthy and legal sounding voicemail for the transport company about breaking their own contract...and never got a letter or bill of any kind...

Ah Yes the nightmares of moving companies. I'll share my store as well, some of you know I just bought Mike Marsh's 225 gallon tank stand and canopy. Well I arranged for a moving company out of Annapolis to move it from Fairfax to my house in Annapolis. Long and short of the story is they showed up 6 1/2 hours late, then said that he couldn't move it with the four guys that he brought, but for $1200 him and his guys would do it. Which was a lot more than the agreed price. I told him no chance, so he said that he would be back at 7am the next morning with more guys. So I drove back out to Fairfax and at 9:00 I call their office and gusse who answered the phone. Yup the same guy that gave me his word he would be there, so I excused myself to the deck and chew him up one side and down the other. I can't tell you how nice the Marsh family was about the whole event. I was still in need of a tank move, so Jeff Hadock to the rescue, him and his crew of three guys showed up the next weekend on time, move the aquarium, stand and canopy out of Mike's house in under an hour. Drove them to my house unloaded and moved everything into my house without an issue or damage to tank or house. Jeff did it on time and for the agreed price. Can't thank Jeff enough for his professionalism and efforts to meet my schedule. So next time you guys need a tank move call Jeff (NAGA).

Could we get make this a sticky....to call naga(a wamas member before you move a tank)?? I dont want anyone else to have to endure this!!

We have used Big Green movers twice in the past 6 years and they were great both times. No big tanks were moved, but they charge by the hour and showed up with three guys that RAN with our boxes the whole time so as not to waste time. They were really good. Also brought lots of boxes and paper delivered in advance and only charged us for the ones we used. And then gave credit for any used boxes we returned a week later in good shape so they didnt end up in the trash.

they broke most of my tanks recently and i am still waiting to get paid. renters insurance did not cover it either but i heard usaa renters insurance does. should have gone with usaa.

lol i of course have a story :)

(I moved my tanks up here myself in a rented uhaul trailer though...so no tank horror story thankfully)

The movers that were hired on this end of the move to place our stuff in the rooms apparently had an aversion to deodorant....and when I say the smell was horrendous I am being kind....well it didn't dawn on me that when they laid on the carpets in my daughter's bedroom to fix something that was going on with the bed frame that it would create a smell that was indescribable.  They left and that night I was laying in her bed with her and the smell hit me....it was so strong I had to resist the temptation to get up and make sure he wasn't under the bed....We tried home carpet cleaners, profession cleaners and nothing could remove the smell. The moving company refused to cover the charge of new carpeting or the expense of trying to clean it....it was was so bad I can't even tell you....

Oh my ....

Its remind me the Sienfiled episode that he have had to sell his car because nothing works to take away in the valet BO .