90 gallon Mixed Reef

(edited)

Ok Guys,

Here is the start to my 90 gallon Build, it will probably take me a couple months to get fully up and running. I'll update the thread as I acquire new equipment and get farther along in my build process. I would like to say that all of you guys/gals have been a tremendous help in guiding me along the way and steering me away from bad choices!

The tank: Deep Blue 90 Gallon RR Tank ( thanks Quantum Reef Supply!!!!!) I pick it up tomorrow!

The stand: I am not much of a big DIY'er, but I am giving it a shot. Instead of explaining I will post pics.

post-2633685-0-03566100-1371513823_thumb.jpg

post-2633685-0-62719400-1371513833_thumb.jpg

post-2633685-0-47834000-1371513876_thumb.jpg

post-2633685-0-18615100-1371513888_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mattiejay6

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(edited)

Lol thanks! I gotta figure out how I am gonna Finnish the stand.. The rough part(the base structure) is easy lol! Now the fancy part and cabinet doors :-/

Edited by Mattiejay6

For not being much of a DIY kind of guy, you seem to be doing a pretty good job. Looking good! 

EXCELLENT tank choice btw. You weren't interested in that cube in the middle of Quantum Reefs instead?  :tongue:

Nice work so far! I'm not that great at the finishing work either, but one piece of advice I will give you is DO NOT put the tank on the stand until the stand is DONE. I've done this twice and said I would apply the finishing touches to the stand "later".... Except I always found better things to spend my time and money on...

I know others have done this too, so dont make that mistake! Good luck!

For not being much of a DIY kind of guy, you seem to be doing a pretty good job. Looking good! 

EXCELLENT tank choice btw. You weren't interested in that cube in the middle of Quantum Reefs instead?  :tongue:

As enticing as that cube was.. I was just set on this 90 lol.

That's mine! Well..maybe..it looked way bigger in person..Now I'm not sure.. haha..

by the way, what's that vent you will be covering? If it's return air..you may want to rethink your location. Otherwise, looks good!

Lol I am making a little progress day by day.. A stand is very time consuming when you really don't know what your doing lol...

Got my tank today too!!! :-)

post-2633685-0-85502600-1371694079_thumb.jpg

post-2633685-0-25683000-1371694144_thumb.jpg

How will you get the sump in and out? It's late now but I like to double up the horizontal 2x4" in the front to prevent the need for the vertical center brace. It makes access under the stand easier.

the middle 2x4 has another one right behind it. it is doubled up. the front opening dosent look that big from the photos but i left a large amount of space to take a 30 gallon tank in and out with ease. I wont attach the back side of the stand until i do all the plumbing probably.

oh yea.. thanks! i have been trying to pre plan for everything.. i have gone through alot of reef central and our forms learning from other peoples builds.

How will you get the sump in and out? It's late now but I like to double up the horizontal 2x4" in the front to prevent the need for the vertical center brace. It makes access under the stand easier.

I feel like Coral Hind goes through the forum saying everything that I want to say before I can get it down.

If possible, I would still consider taking the front vertical brace out. You will appreciate it not being there when it comes time to get the skimmer or other equipment out of your filled/baffled sump tank. This is just some advice from a guy who has had both designs.

I am really looking forward to watching this come together, you made a great choice on the tank! What are your stocking plans?

I would be happy to hook you up with some hardy corals when you are ready for that.

(edited)

if i take out the middle brace would it still hold the tank? also im not sure how i would even do the cabinet doors with out that middle brace... as far as the stock list i am still working on that.. lots of research on compatability..

Edited by Mattiejay6

if i take out the middle brace would it still hold the tank? also im not sure how i would even do the cabinet doors with out that middle brace... as far as the stock list i am still working on that.. lots of research on compatability..

I have no doubt that the stand will still hold the tank. You could remove both the front and back vertical braces and it would still hold it. To reassure yourself look up the wood you are using and try to find the specs on how much weight it can support (I think shear strength and compression strength should be what you are looking for).

Considering your tank will be around 800# and that will be distributed across the entire frame, you should be just fine.

Here is a good post I came across that will help:

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-302232.html

Looking good.  For someone who says he doesn't know much about woodworking, you seem to be doing a great job :)  Then again, I have trouble with simple hammering and sawing.

Once you get cycled, swing by and I'll send you home with some corals.  

I have no doubt that the stand will still hold the tank. You could remove both the front and back vertical braces and it would still hold it. To reassure yourself look up the wood you are using and try to find the specs on how much weight it can support (I think shear strength and compression strength should be what you are looking for).

Considering your tank will be around 800# and that will be distributed across the entire frame, you should be just fine.

Here is a good post I came across that will help:

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-302232.html

Thanks Jasoni! I read the article and i think my stand will be just fine.. easily hold the weight with out that front post.. I am going to take it out.. i will leave the back one cause it wont be on the way and i think i can live without that couple of inches of space.. lol i have some left over and will just double up the front horizontal 2x4 and leave it at that.. lol so much goes into the stand.. i didnt even realzie..

i look forward to the cabient door pics.. cause as of right now im still on a blank.