HELP!!!! Is this a flatworm or Nudibranch or what

Huly

We noticed our Torches sucking in over the last few days and no idea why as all of our parameters are good, could not find anything until tonight.  What is this and how to we kill it? (marked in Red box)

guest_1_zps06e24345.jpg

guest_2_zps8a02db8f.jpg

guest_3_zps8d12b0f0.jpg

guest_4_zpscebcc852.jpg

guest_5_zpscf9eca27.jpg

guest_6_zps533c4266.jpg

guest_7_zps6bacdde7.jpg

guest_8_zpsfb6d7b0e.jpg

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that I can see them, they do look like a flatworm. You said some were as long as a half inch?

(Sent from my phone)

Sean has Flatworm Exit in stock. Others here can tell you how it's used.

(Sent from my phone)

Yes we grabbed them with tongs. How do we get rid of them?

Those are flatworms! Don't tell Paul but here is some advice for you. I would dip your LPS to remove them.

Do you think they've spread? The torch has been in there a while, I think.

(Sent from my phone)

Should we try to suck ir pick as many as we can off tonight? Will other corals and fish be ok?

The newest torch was added in April. Not sure how long as everything looks great except Gotcha started sucking in this week

They are fine for tonight but do it tomorrow or this weekend.  I would dip all your LPS as they do spread. Dip in Revive, CoralRX, or even fresh water. I doubt Flatworm Exit will work but you can try it.

I had a very bad case of flatworms and the flatworm exit worked for me but I found if you use more than the bottle says it works much better and I had to do it three times before I totally got rid of them.

3rd picture down is the best identifier. 

What is the most affective but hurts the coral less?

I say CoralRX. Freshwater dip is also fine if same temp and only for 5 minutes. The flatworms fall off easy but still swish them or gently blow water on them with a turkey basted to blow them off.

I had a very bad case of flatworms and the flatworm exit worked for me but I found if you use more than the bottle says it works much better and I had to do it three times before I totally got rid of them.

You had the same large type? Not the common red planaria.

A yellow coris wrasse is good natural removal.

We like our two cleaner shrimp lol they are our spoiled brats

(edited)

and a good shrimp remover too.

I have a yellow coris wrasse since 2008  with 2 cleaner shrimps, peppermint shrimps and harlequin shrimp.  All still alive!

Edited by rocko918

Coral RX should do the tick and without hurting the coral. And like bob said there are eggs all over, so one dip will not work. You should read up on them some maybe some good links in the RC Lps forum?

On another note, amazing pics and thanks for sharing.

Also I wouldn't think that a wrasse would eat all of them, I think the large ones it would ignore. I had a big snail eating flatworm for a long time and the malnarus wrasse never got to it. Picked it off the glass one day. Just a thought. I would say a 6 week dipping program is in order, but it may be even harder than that because I would guess they like to crawl around the tank unlike the aefw. Please keep us updated on your methods and progress!