HELP!!!! Is this a flatworm or Nudibranch or what

Huly

Forever known as "huly flat worms"

I agree ive not seen them in your tank...I think the eggs were just so micro..

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I notified everyone and I don't blame them as honestly from what I researched this might just be a big oops. Even if I dipped I might still be in the situation as it had to be small eggs. I have posted multiple photos of these and I never saw eggs or anything. Also from my understanding dips don't kill eggs. Also I am surprised at how many people ha have never heard or have seen this.

Many flatworms reproduce by fission or budding. AEFW lay eggs and those are difficult to treat/kill.  

http://www.reefkeeping.com/joomla/index.php/current-issue/article/31-flatworms-and-other-bugs-that-make-you-see-red

Huly,

As a precaution, dip the large toadstool once the next time you dip the other LPS. I have seen similar flatworm also on a toadstool, I don't know if it just landed there or was living there. I just want to make sure it is clean too.

Thanks Coral as we did not dip him. Wasn't sure on him. That is also why we got the wrasse to clean up what we might have missed. We dipped the entire rock that three torches are on incase anything was in it.

We did also dip the two Acros the monti and a few SPS that was easy to get to as a precaution

(edited)

The EEFW also lay eggs

What are EEFW? I've never seen that abbreviation. 

Never mind. I found it here. http://www.projectdibs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2296

Hmmm, these are probably what you have. I've never seen anyone post that they've had these on WAMAS in the few years that I've been a member.

The link above says Julian (probably Julian Sprung) says revive will kill the worm and their eggs

Edited by Jans Natural Reef Foods

So do we lol. These aren't very well known but everything we found on them matched 100% to what we are expierancing

Yeah but slightly different they get bigger (up to 2") and move very quick. That is what threw Origami off when we called him as we picked one off with tongs.

Ahhh. thanks for  pointing this out.

gallery_196_878_120938.jpg

I put black boxes on this picture so you can see where the eggs are and what they might look like.

Ahhh. thanks for  pointing this out.

We didn't notice them either until he and Sean pointed them out to us.  This why we dipped the entire rock these torches sat on.  Not knowing what else might be there

It is amazing to me how something so small can cause so much havoc on an otherwise healthy coral. From your research, how are these handled in the wild? Is predation by fish enough to keep them in check?

Honestly most everything we can find on these comes from forums not much of anything except maybe a photo from any scientific intel. I assume they are a food source for fish etc in wild

Yes, these guys have been out there, just another thing we have to look for when bringing in corals.  Everything must be dipped when it comes in, and I hope everyone understands why your LFS don't like to take common corals from personal tanks.  What I have experienced is that most of these coral pests are being transmitted from hobbyist tanks, we dip everything when it comes in and I can honestly say that only once have I seen pests come in from the wild.  Pick up a bottle of Revive, RPS, tropic marin coral RX etc, and dip everything before it goes into your tank, even from a LFS because eggs are not affected, and are often not seen.

That is our thought Jonny the vendor we got the last torch from probably had eggs that went unnoticed until the outbreak. As we got him 2 months ago. We need to improve our dipping QT procedures but even then being eggs we could end up in same position.