HELP!!!! Is this a flatworm or Nudibranch or what

Huly

Those are really good pics. I think we should archive those somehow to use when people have future questions about what a FW looks like. Awesome job, good luck with removal!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ha ha....the silver lining of it all is that the pics are extremely good....the bad news is that eradication sucks huge....

let me know if I can help at all Huly...I can come over and help or do whatever you need....

Those are really good pics. I think we should archive those somehow to use when people have future questions about what a FW looks like. Awesome job, good luck with removal!

Agreed. You should also use those awesome photography skills to enter a picture in the revived picture of the month (Shameless plug.)

All kidding aside, there are plenty of threads around on WAMAS and RC about flatworms, but it seems like you've gotten a lot of good information already. From some who have already gone through this as well.

Thank you everyone! I appreciate all the help. Went by F&F yesterday to pick up Coral RX so we are thinking once a week for 3 weeks. Thoughts?

Did you research thoes thoes of flatworms online and find any info? If they are anything like aefw I would make sure all the eggs are taken care of before you start your dips. Then dip for 5 or 6 weeks. But I am sure people that have been through this pest before could tell you how to go about this.

Well we took a different aspect today after gathering data. We just dipped in Coral RX. Sid not have much choice as we are close to loosing one torch. Still not sure if it will make it but hopefully this will save the other 3. I am taking photos step by step to share with everyone.

Wow can't believe how many came off the 4 torches! A good bit of the bottom of a home depot orange bucket is covered

No we did not dip any of the corals. Most of these were before we knew better. We only thought acroporas and some SPS had bugs. All were healthy and no sign of distress or disease.

Through them out Jenn! Yuck!

I say CoralRX. Freshwater dip is also fine if same temp and only for 5 minutes. The flatworms fall off easy but still swish them or gently blow water on them with a turkey basted to blow them off.

You had the same large type? Not the common red planaria.

No I had the common variety, but I would think it would work on them as well. I don't know for sure but I'm sure these other guys on here with more experience would know

No I had the common variety, but I would think it would work on them as well. I don't know for sure but I'm sure these other guys on here with more experience would know

Thanks for getting back to me. That's what I was guessing. FWE works on those common red planaria but it didn't work for me on these larger ones. Dipping in CoralRX, Revive, or freshwater seems best. I repeated it weekly until no more worms were found. I also took super glue and covered all the eggs I could spot.

Didn't you dip the coral before you added it to your tank? Coral Rx and Revive do a great job of killing these types of flatworms.

(edited)

No we did not dip any of the corals. Most of these were before we knew better. We only thought acroporas and some SPS had bugs. All were healthy and no sign of distress or disease.

Through them out Jenn! Yuck!

Always assume all corals have pest until proven otherwise. where did you get these corals? You may want to let the LFS know.

Edited by Jans Natural Reef Foods

They have been in my tank for months now. I assume it might gave had eggs on it that none of us have seen then months later wham. They hatched and we didn't know until the torches started sucking in and we were keeping a close eye on them. The gold and green torch has been there for 6 months or more. The yellow one was added last Wamas meeting so 2-3 months.

They have been in my tank for months now. I assume it might gave had eggs on it that none of us have seen then months later wham. They hatched and we didn't know until the torches started sucking in and we were keeping a close eye on them. The gold and green torch has been there for 6 months or more. The yellow one was added last Wamas meeting so 2-3 months.

My experience with similar flatworms is they die quickly when dipped in Revive and Coral Rx. I had several large ones come in on a variety of macro once. Dipping the macro killed the worms and the macro.  There's a thread with a picture somewhere in my 7000+ posts. Some of these flatworm's like eating softies. Some don't do any harm except block the light which caused corals to starve, and as I'm sure you know by now, some like eating the flesh off of SPS.

Yeah we dipped yesterday with Coral RX and cleaned the torches the best we could. They are starting to not be ticked off at us now. We also got a yellow coris wrasse to eat anything we missed. Going to keep a close eye on them to determine dip again or no. We also dipped all LPS too just as a precaution

My point is dip before it gets to this point. Dip before you put it in your DT. Once these organisms get into your system they can be almost impossible to get rid of. 

Every hobbyist, especially new ones, should get into the habit of dipping everything they can. All corals should be dipped in Revive or Coral Rx. Zoanthids, clams and fish can withstand dipping in FW. It will save you a lot of issues in the long run.

Your LFS's should be giving you this advice as well.

Good luck!   

She is new to this and bought it a while ago...give her a break. She gets it and will dip going forward....

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Always assume all corals have pest until proven otherwise. where did you get these corals? You may want to let the LFS know.

Either way, Jan's advice is sound. I thought I had flatworm or redbugs for a short period. It was a daunting nightmare, just THINKING about dipping everything and using flatworm exit and siphoning out what I could. I was stressed, I was terribly worried, and at the end of the day, I learned that having a proper QT process is key. Obviously, it's up to you how you want to play the game, but now you are learning the risks first hand! 

That being said, I am running the same risk that I just "preached" about. I figure it's like motorcycles, they say there are two types of riders, those who have dropped already, and those that are going to. 

Jan had already said it prior and then she said it again. The dead horse is beaten.

Huly is well aware to dip. Her last addition was 3 months ago....

Let's focus on getting her through this and encourage her..

Jan had already said it prior and then she said it again. The dead horse is beaten.

Huly is well aware to dip. Her last addition was 3 months ago....

Let's focus on getting her through this and encourage her..

Woah, slow down there! I was typing that before I had a couple WAMAS members stop by, I got busy. This thread had obviously gotten hot in the interim.

I'm not attempting to kick a dead horse, or discourage, and I completely agree with helping her through this.

Huly, please document your process as best you can, what methods you choose and results you get will certainly help others along the way.

Isaac, you're fine. Keep doing what your doing. Many benefit from posts with sound advice. Many of the same situations and questions have been posted, asked and answered many times over. There's no such thing as beating a dead horse with new hobbyists. No one is being mean or cruel. I see everyone helping.

Posts like these are for everyone's benefit.

Woah, slow down there! I was typing that before I had a couple WAMAS members stop by, I got busy. This thread had obviously gotten hot in the interim.

I'm not attempting to kick a dead horse, or discourage, and I completely agree with helping her through this.

Huly, please document your process as best you can, what methods you choose and results you get will certainly help others along the way.

Yeah I notified everyone and I don't blame them as honestly from what I researched this might just be a big oops. Even if I dipped I might still be in the situation as it had to be small eggs. I have posted multiple photos of these and I never saw eggs or anything. Also from my understanding dips don't kill eggs. Also I am surprised at how many people ha have never heard or have seen this.