$4000 fish!

kjamaya

Thats one of those holy grail type fish. Not a huge fan of it, but like it a bit more than a gem tang for that price.

The funny thing about that listing is that they say the max size for that fish is 3 1/2'', but that fish is over 4". So that fish is obviously a bit older, and knowing that there is no way I spend 4k on a fish.

+1 can't agree with you more.

Thats one of those holy grail type fish. Not a huge fan of it, but like it a bit more than a gem tang for that price.

The funny thing about that listing is that they say the max size for that fish is 3 1/2'', but that fish is over 4". So that fish is obviously a bit older, and knowing that there is no way I spend 4k on a fish.

Agreed on all counts. But, I realize that $4K for a fish is a lot to most all of us. Add the price of a divorce to that and you're talking some serious money!

Agreed on all counts. But, I realize that $4K for a fish is a lot to most all of us. Add the price of a divorce to that and you're talking some serious money!

tom, your so freakin hilarious! yeah my husband wouldnt probably divorce me...but them he'd want a new 4k scope for the new 3k rifle hed buy saying thats how much it will cost to feed it...lol

BAHAHAHAHAHA!

So you are saying IF it was younger you would? ;)

Personally, I would be a 24/7 nervous wreck having a single fish anywhere near that cost. LOL....Can you imagine....checking water parameters daily out of paranoia, spending hours on end "wrangling" and isolating any other fish that even looks at the bugger cross eyed LOL!

LOL LOL LOL LOL

Newbie question. So what makes any particular fish a "holy grail" fish? I can't imagine it's the way it looks because I've seen better looking fish that cost 1/100th that cost (and aesthetics is purely subjective). I'm guessing it's purely based on rarity? How difficult it is to catch?

When they have to use a submarine to capture them

and acclimate them to higher depths

that is what makes these fish so expensive

for that price, I would rather put a hat on my cat and call it a day!

Newbie question. So what makes any particular fish a "holy grail" fish? I can't imagine it's the way it looks because I've seen better looking fish that cost 1/100th that cost (and aesthetics is purely subjective). I'm guessing it's purely based on rarity? How difficult it is to catch?

You got it....rarity/availability are the key driving factors. And yes, sometimes a contributing factor to this is catchability ;)

So you are saying IF it was younger you would? ;)

Personally, I would be a 24/7 nervous wreck having a single fish anywhere near that cost. LOL....Can you imagine....checking water parameters daily out of paranoia, spending hours on end "wrangling" and isolating any other fish that even looks at the bugger cross eyed LOL!

I wouldn't do it either way. But if I'm spending big money on something I don't want to buy it knowing its towards the end of its life

I would also assume if you are buying this you have a pretty stable aquarium and don't even test much at that point.

When they have to use a submarine to capture them

I'd love to see that! lol

ts lives very deep, so only a few divers can go down there to catch them (they actually use a submarine I think) and then it takes days to bring them up to sea level due to the decompression the fish has to go through. So only a few of these fish come to market every year, and that is why its one of those holy grail fish.

(they actually use a submarine I think)

Oh wow...embarrassingly I actually thought that was a joke... :wacko:

I guess they're not dropping a fishing line down in the deep.

Oh wow...embarrassingly I actually thought that was a joke... :wacko:

I guess they're not dropping a fishing line down in the deep.

I watched a show on the catching deep sea fish somewhere in the carribean where they took a sub down deep and caught fish. They keep them contained and they every few days they take the container a bit shallower until they can take the fish out of the ocean. I just googled looking for the show, but I cant find it right now. I dont know for a fact if this is how they catch this imparticular fish but that is how some are done.

The other option which is even harder on the divers is that the divers go deep, and they are not spending hours under water b/c they themselves need to deal with the decompression of going that deep.

The thing is you don't just drop this wad of cash on one fish...the tank must be filled with collectors things...so how do you ever go away and trust a tank sitter? Lol need insurance riders for stuff like this.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I watched a show on the catching deep sea fish somewhere in the carribean where they took a sub down deep and caught fish. They keep them contained and they every few days they take the container a bit shallower until they can take the fish out of the ocean. I just googled looking for the show, but I cant find it right now. I dont know for a fact if this is how they catch this imparticular fish but that is how some are done.

The other option which is even harder on the divers is that the divers go deep, and they are not spending hours under water b/c they themselves need to deal with the decompression of going that deep.

That would be a great show to catch.

But in the meantime....I can think of many, many other things to spend $4000 on it...And I may actually get 2 things!