Worms as food

paul b

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The worms are fed pieces of paper towels or brown paper bags, cheap date.

So you're basically raising your fish on paper bags.

Are those paper bags organic, locally sourced, and sustainably harvested? 8)

Interesting thread. Do the bigger fish eventually eat the white worms off the substrate? It seems to me that they would be easier to keep going than black worms.

Paul, I thought black worms had be kept/raised in cool water...are you chilling the water you're pumping through that trough?? thanks

Paul, I thought black worms had be kept/raised in cool water...are you chilling the water you're pumping through that trough?? thanks

Don't think to much, just keep them at room temperature. Cooler is better but mine live fine in the summer and it gets hot here.That is the reason for the trough, it helps oxygenate the water . All my fish eat worms even off the substrait but they only live for about 15 seconds in salt water. But they don't make it to the substrait.

You are what you eat, interesting thread. this is why I like feeding Jans. I would like to try some of this worm farming. It's refreshing to read from a voice of experience, as well as somebody who doesn't go to church to pray because of a piece of hair algae. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go start a thread that says "I have hair algae and Paul B thinks I should quarantine my fish till 2015."

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Interesting thread. Do the bigger fish eventually eat the white worms off the substrate? It seems to me that they would be easier to keep going than black worms.

My biggest fish is a copperband butterfly and although he eats the smaller white worms, he likes the much larger blackworms better, but when he finishes those, he hunts the gravel for white worms. He also eats new born brine shrimp from the mandarin feeeder, I think he would eat cardboard or the same food that Paris Hilton feeds her rat, I mean dog.

You are what you eat, interesting thread. this is why I like feeding Jans. I would like to try some of this worm farming. It's refreshing to read from a voice of experience, as well as somebody who doesn't go to church to pray because of a piece of hair algae. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go start a thread that says "I have hair algae and Paul B thinks I should quarantine my fish till 2015."

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

That would be an excellent thread.

IMG_2391.jpg

And a little copperband video eating baby brine.

th_MVI_1982.jpg

Paul

I've read that brine shrimp is "bad", no nutritional value for fishes, just like candy.

What is your take on that ?

I do know all my fishes go crazy over them.

Mike

Mling,

He uses newly hatched brine babies (napulii) which still have the teensy droplet of oil "yolk" which is great for fish. In one of the threads here he posted a pic of the cool hatchery that he uses which takes advantage of the babies attraction to light to separate them from the unhatched eggs.

Edited by AlanM

(edited)

Paul

I've read that brine shrimp is "bad", no nutritional value for fishes, just like candy.

What is your take on that ?

I do know all my fishes go crazy over them.

Mike

Mling,

He uses newly hatched brine babies (napulii) which still have the teensy droplet of oil "yolk" which is great for fish. In one of the threads here he posted a pic of the cool hatchery that he uses which takes advantage of the babies attraction to light to separate them from the unhatched eggs.

Exactly and although that drop of oil is tiny, it is a large percentage of that shrimp. Adult brine shrimp are not great because they lack certain nutrients as no one feeds them and they are mostly swimmerettes. Brine shrimp hatchery. IMG_1577.jpg Here is a close up of a new born brine shrimp Bathingcap_zps4a0923ed.jpeg Edited by paul b

I just got some black worms from Centreville Aqua. My fishes love it; the non herbivors that is. My " eat everything" power blue, that loves brine shrimp, quickly tried it but split it out immediately. The others all love it. Like Paul say, no worm had a chance to get to the substrate.

Now the question is how to keep the rest of the worms alive for a few days. I currently have them laid out on a dinner plate. Was told not to add too much water or they would drown.

They are water worms but if you are going to put them on a dinner plate, the water needs to be shallow so they can stick their heads up for air, I keep them in a shallow trough with moving water and they live forever and even reproduce. There are pictures on here someplace of the wormkeeper I built.

• 2 weeks later...

White worms, I put that piece of matzo in there about 2 hours ago, in a couple of hours it will be gone. I put fish oil on it so the worms injest it. I also feed Cheerios with fish oil.

2013-05-04101313_zps58114d25.jpg

Eww. What are all those little spots around the worms? Matzo crumbs?

If you didn't do the Cheerios you could be raising kashrut worms.

Do your fish go as crazy for the white ones as for the black ones?

The white spots are worm poop. I am not sure if the worms are Jewish or not but they love Matzos.

My fish are an equal opportunity eater and don't care what color the worms are, they eat them all. The white worms are smaller and live a long time in salt water so I shoot them behind the rocks for the hiders that I have all over the place like the possum wrasse who never comes out or the spawning cardinals who nest in the back.

Do the worms spike your phosphates at all?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I don't know as the last time I tested phosphates was probably in 1998 or so. :unsure:

(edited)

Yep after I hit submit I thought to myself... oh Jenn the odds of him knowing are 0 lol...I knew your answer would be exactly that ha ha..

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Edited by sachabballi reef