apex controller and internet

jamal

i am trying to think of the cheapest way to connect my apex to my home network wirelessly. i was thinking of using a wirelesss game adapter. any different suggestions?

hook it up once with a cable, program it, then never use the interface again. control everything from the display. easier.

I think it is totally easier using the laptop myself. JMO.... and you can check on your tank during the day either from your phone or computer.

Why would you ever do that? First of all, the display is not easier. And on top of that, then you lose email alerts and smartphone control.

I use a wireless game adapter. You can get a refurb WNCE2001 for less than $30. That's what I use. I've also used a TrendNet and that works fine too.

http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-WNCE2001-Universal-Internet-Adapter/dp/B007CO5DZ4/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1362871329&sr=1-1&keywords=wnce2001+refurbished

Some people use the powerline adapters and say they are easier/more reliable, but I had trouble with them and the wireless adapters seem cheaper anyway.

Some cheap routers have a wifi repeater mode. It can join a network and you could plug the apex in. I think the open source DD-WRT firmware supports it.

I agree with Steve and Hypertech - my Apex is hardwired to my router and I haven't used the Apex display (except to occassionally look at it) since it was connected. The laptop and iPad interfaces are MUCH easier to read and configure

I just spent a long day fishing cable from my router to the Apex in the basement, I had to go up through the attic and then down a wall to the basement. The cable is cheap and the time was worth it. My Apex is always at my fingertips any where in the world.

I agree with Oldreefer: hard wire to router if at all possible. I used a relatively quality game adaptor on my prior system and had recurrent reliability issues (it would intermittently and silently lose access to the router). Zero issues since plugging apex directly into router.

I had trouble with the wireless game adapter as well. Would go with hard wire if possible but I use Powerline without any issues.

I have mine wired but honestly I never use the pooter to access it when the display is much easier and quicker to pick up and do things with. I agree that programming it is easier with the pooter, but once you've programmed it, you never need to use the pooter unless you add a new device or program. I've never set the email notifications up because I have a virtually bullet proof set up. Not that something couldn't go wrong, just that it's very unlikely to do so.

I use the smartphone app to turn outlets on/off regularly. Far easier than using the display.

Sooner or later something WILL fail. My system is also setup with the intention that failures won't be critical. However, they can still be detected and a notification sent out.

It seems like a real head in the sand approach to leave a significant feature like that on the table unused.

Mine is hardwired. I monitor it with my phone. A widget is always visible with up to date status. I can control outlets and alter the programming from my phone. Email alerts are added peace of mind. I also work it from the panel regularly. I appreciate having these options available to me.

(Sent from my phone)

a hardwire would be my preference but i would need a long ass cord to run that from 2 floors down. think i will just have to drill a whole in the wood floor and run it that way.

I use the smartphone app to turn outlets on/off regularly. Far easier than using the display.

Sooner or later something WILL fail. My system is also setup with the intention that failures won't be critical. However, they can still be detected and a notification sent out.

It seems like a real head in the sand approach to leave a significant feature like that on the table unused.

There are so many features on the Apex that I don't use. I only use it as a basic timer to turn it on/off and for the feed switch.

I don't have a pH controller, c02 reactor, kalk stirrer or anything else that could nuke my system if one of those components failed. I have a return pump, skimmer and feed pump, a powerhead, heater, and light program. I believe in the KISS method of reefing and really the only reason I have an Apex is to keep up to date on current technology and to be able to program some of the customers' Apexes.

I'm sure you have a heater. They fail. I'll get an alarm if the tank stays too cool for too long.

In the maintenance biz, I would think the ability to monitor and make emergency changes from anywhere would be a great asset.

Edited by hypertech

I'm sure you have a heater. They fail. I'll get an alarm if the tank stays too cool for too long.

In the maintenance biz, I would think the ability to monitor and make emergency changes from anywhere would be a great asset.

I agree with you about the monitoring aspect, but unfortunately most customers can't or don't want to justify the extra expense involved for us to monitor the tank 24/7.