Go salt or go home. First ever tank! 29G

howaboutme

Frogspawn will do just fine. Throw some on in. I only had compact florescents in my 14biocube, and they did just fine. Here is a pic of it before I moved everything over in to my new tank:

Nice inspiration! Thanks.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No problem. A lot of that stuff is really easy to keep. Keep decent water parameters, and most of those things will do fine, frog spawn included. Zoas are also really popular, and pretty hardy, and come in thousands of colors, from cheap to $$$$$. Get some green star polyps, and watch it grow, and then frag it out for a beginner when they join! If your ever in Arlington, stop by, and I can frag you a few things for you.

thats why they make corner pieces so you can make work arounds cords etc....

I didn't have much success with the corners. The frame would be perfect but when you press in the netting it distorts the frame and ends up wonky. I'm sure with enough tweaking you could make it happen. I gave up and just did a rectangle then cut out the netting.

(edited)

No problem. A lot of that stuff is really easy to keep. Keep decent water parameters, and most of those things will do fine, frog spawn included. Zoas are also really popular, and pretty hardy, and come in thousands of colors, from cheap to $$$$$. Get some green star polyps, and watch it grow, and then frag it out for a beginner when they join! If your ever in Arlington, stop by, and I can frag you a few things for you.

Well..I drive by Ballston on my way to/from work dailly! :) Let's talk more later.

I didn't have much success with the corners. The frame would be perfect but when you press in the netting it distorts the frame and ends up wonky. I'm sure with enough tweaking you could make it happen. I gave up and just did a rectangle then cut out the netting.

I agree..That's why I didn't do it.

Now...for something strange. I tested for nitrate 3 days ago, it was a around 10ppm (API). The pattern lately is my nitrate's rise to about 20ppm right before a water change. As a result, I have been doing 2 5G wc's a week to keep it under control (even though I know it's technically not bad). So today, I took another test, it's <5ppm. Keep in mind, this lower number resulted NOT from a wc, nothing at all except for maybe feeding less. In fact, I did it right before I was planning to do the wc. (I went ahead and did it anyways since a wc certainly doesn't hurt.)

So..has anyone heard of this before? The only thing that has changed is I took the versatop off and put the egg crate on. Does more aeration help? I have never heard of that. I know more aeration helps ph. I can only think of 2 possibilities for this to happen. 1) My tank is further maturing and have recently developed the beneficial bacteria that gets rid of nitrates or 2) my test is bad. I don't believe it's 2 because I have tested it against LFS results and it's a very new bottle.

Thoughts?

Edit: I did clean the skimmer's collection cup very well though.

Edited by howaboutme

Ok, more weirdness. I just did another NO3 test, this time w/ another nitrate API test that I have. Even after the water change, the most recent test actually came back slightly higher. What gives? The differences between the 2 tests are that I read the results of the 1st test under ambient sunlight coming from the windows while the 2nd was read under the lights (fluorescent) at night. Anyone have this issue before?

I think what this means is that I need to ditch the API test.

Just ordered the BRS ASOV kit for my RODI, which we talked about a few posts up. It's the deal of the day, a whole sorry $2 off. Am I the only one that thinks their deal of the day is a joke? I've never seen anything significantly marked down. But a deal is a deal if you're getting stuff you already need. I also got Coral RX dip and glue in preperation for my first corals...Moving along!

hey they don't have to give ya anything ;)

its $2 more than what you would have had if you hadn't ordered it on the deal of the day ;)

Yes, I agree. I guess I'm just complaining because a REAL deal is $100 or so off a controller, light fixture or something, not $20 off of a RODI system, which seems to be the norm for them. Again, first world problems. :)

i bought dry rock from them during a 10x points special ( I thought I saw an email that they are doing that again btw) and combined sale then got to trade in my "points" for about $50+ of free stuff ....so it does add up if you consider that...

Oh! I also found a valid $5 off code online so it was actually $7 off.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

Well...Fellow WAMAS member, Smorf, offered me a handful of free frags since I didn't need any bird nest anymore. I replied and said, no, that's too much, how about just a frogspawn and a couple of rics? I stopped by today and what happened? I returned home with twice as much as I intended to get. I need help.

Here's what I have in one big shot. I'll do close ups once I find a final resting place for them all.

2013-04-07195940.jpg

Starting from the middle bottom and going clockwise, I have on the sand bed a GSP and 2 Rics. There is a montipora just next to the LR on the top left and the pulsing xenia and frogspawn at the right.

I'm a bit concerned about the Monti because of my lighting so I hope it can hold on until the Evergrow GB get's going and received. (By the way, got a chance to see the D120's up close, very nice.) The frogspawn opened up within 30 mins after the lights came back on and the Xenia has started to feel around. The Rics look plump as well so I'm a happy camper.

I did mess up a bit. In the rush to get everything in, I forgot to temp acclimate 3 frags. I just dipped them in TLF Revive, FSW and Voila! So the last few got a temp acclimation and then dip and fsw rinse. Hopefully all is good. I hate to lose them for that reason.

I picked up a Salifert NO3 test while I was at Incredible Corals yesterday to see the Avast ATO to test against my API. I like the Salifert better already. I was at 10ppm before a wc. I think my numbers are good for a new tank and will try to stop chasing numbers.

I did lose 2 snails, a cerith and a margarita. I was a bit sad. My daughter still doesn't understand the concept of death yet so that was hard explaining it to her. The margarita got stuck in a crevice and I had to break out some equipment to free him. Not sure if that did him in. The cerith kept flipping over the last few days so death wasn't a surprise. I'll keep what I have left and see how they do. I am afraid that they may have starved so don't want to over do it w/ a light bioload at this time.

you might want to isolate that xenia or it will take over your rock work...GSp does the same but you are fine with where that is now.

my experience with xenias is that its pretty hard to isolate them because they will move to wherever they want to in the tank.

(edited)

Thanks for the advice on the Xenia. I have heard that the GSP can be troublesome if not contained. I'll have to play w/ some locations. The xenia was placed on the sand bed but my turbo bulldozed it while eating whatever was on the frag rock. What a donkey. I placed it on the rock for safety. It has opened and extended nicely overnight though so it must like it's location.

Edited by howaboutme

if it does it will quickly invite its friends to the party...but it does give you a feeling of accomplishment when you are just starting out....so enjoy them!

Speaking of enjoyment. My wife excitedly msged me and said the corals are looking awesome! She promptly sent me some cellphone pics for my enjoyment. As stated earlier, the frogspawn is already enjoying the new environment but a few more of the new one's have shown they enjoy the new tank too!

The xenia is pulsing!

2013-04-08143032.jpg

The GSP has opened up!

2013-04-08143019.jpg

The Rics continue to look good as well:

2013-04-08143041.jpg

Lastly, the frogspawn is looking succulent, hope the clowns notice!

2013-04-08143050.jpg

you can probably put a larger piece of rock next to the gsp and it will eventually grow on it. i can see the xenia climbing to the big rock to its left.

you can probably put a larger piece of rock next to the gsp and it will eventually grow on it. i can see the xenia climbing to the big rock to its left.

Yeah, will be thinking about placement and working on these for the next few nights. I will try to glue the ric's down tonight on a rock that has some shade from another rock above and hope they don't move. I need a bigger tank.

Yeah, will be thinking about placement and working on these for the next few nights. I will try to glue the ric's down tonight on a rock that has some shade from another rock above and hope they don't move. I need a bigger tank.

oooooh im getting closer to "I told you so..." you will want a much bigger tank in nooooo time (post 68 lol)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

oooooh im getting closer to "I told you so..." you will want a much bigger tank in nooooo time (post 68 lol)

LOL. The voice of experience.

not able to see post

What?! I missed your post. Ha ha.... :huh: We'll see....

So I glued (w/ BRS super glue) the Ric's to a rock and the monti as well. In newbie fashion, some glue went everywhere in the tank. Of course I freaked out. Well, it's only a small little bit to be exact but still...My large clown started to act strange immediately after all the gluing so I again freaked out. I'm watching it closely after lights out to see if I need to do an emergency wc tonight. Hopefully she will be fine.

I moved some rubble closer to the GSP and still haven't settled on a placement for the Xenia yet. Will do some more thinking later.

On the same subject of clown behavior...They seem to be swimming more and generally more playful and active since the corals went in. Any reason why? They even ate as well as they've ever eaten. So good news on that front.

I'm sure you're fine. Take out the pieces you can, everything else will harden up quick. I'm sure it's reef safe. I wouldn't worry about an emergency water change, unless you need to do one. But that's just me, Glad to hear the clowns are more active, maybe it's just a change of something new in the tank. Sit back and enjoy it!

Ahhhhhhh so sweet...like watching a child at Christmas..... there's nothing like your first tank.. ;)

The clown is fine...great globs of glue won't harm the tank let alone a bit...it will make your skimmer go mad though...as will the plug putty...

Yeah, I sometimes get embarrassed after posting some of these things but I'm sure we all went through it...Did we???

The clowns are in their sleeping spot up high so all is well, I think. I'm also considering printing out a picture of a clown in an anemone and taping it on glass near the frogspawn and see if they show interest. I've heard it can work!

By the way...someone recently posted WTB a 93G cube at 30x30....I had to do a double take and wonder if I did that post in my dreams! lol.

Post away!!! I'm positive there isn't anyone on this board that hasn't enjoyed the magic you are experiencing... I still have to pull myself away from my tanks each day....I just stare at them for hours like a television (actually would prefer tank watching over TV given a choice and I LOVE TV lol)

This is the best addiction you will ever have!

They created gsp and Xenia and mushrooms to lure you in...there's no going back now....you're in the trap.