Go salt or go home. First ever tank! 29G

howaboutme

As for my Watchman Goby, he pops out on occasion. I know my pistol is alive just because he clicks at night, don't think they paired. However, my clowns took to my nems in less than 30 seconds.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe my goby has paired w/ the shrimp only because I know the goby is in a burrow that the shrimp dug up. Of course, I'm assuming it's the shrimp that dug the burrow as that's what I've seen in my research. If that's the case, it's only been 1 day. I haven't heard the clicking yet though....then again, my tank is loud to begin with.

• 2 weeks later...

Well..I brought home a yellow watchman today. I know that it's wild caught, ate frozen at the store. I drip acclimated and set him in. The pistol snapped a bunch of times for about 15 or 20 minutes afterwards. The goby was viewable for only about 5 minutes. Then it went into a series of rocks where I believe the shrimp is. I have not seen it since. Gosh I hope this ends up well. What I mean is, 1) I hope this goby stays alive and 2) I can see my livestock. If this doesn't work out, I may just let my shrimp live w/ no hope of pairing w/ a goby and going another route in terms of stocking. Wish me luck! The watchman is super pretty and is actually yellow.

Saw my pistol!!! :clap: Sorry, am a bit excited. I knew it was alive because I hear it snap every night but I have yet to see it since the night of introduction (over 2.5 weeks ago). It was in the burrow but I can see the tail as it was sifting more sand. I still haven't seen the new watchman though. I did target feed some Jan's tonight so hopefully they are sharing. I'm hoping this is a sign that the shrimp is getting familiar w/ it's new home and won't be so shy anymore. I think the colors of striping on the shrimp have enhanced since introduction so I guess that's a good sign that the shrimp is eating...Now...c'mon goby, come to daddy! (By the way, I haven't ruled out that my pistol killed my other goby so I'm still nervous.)

First pic of the goby! He's doing super well and living in the same burrow as the pistol. I have to target feed him everyday though. I'm hoping as he gets less shy, he will come out more often and will be able to scavenge for food w/o me targeting every day.

2013-05-10-Goby-LR-1.jpg

Nice! I haven't seen my watchman for almost 2 weeks. Either moved, or died. I know my pistol is clicking in there. Glad you can watch yours!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Thanks!

Well, I wouldn't say I can watch him. This picture was definitely a fluke. I usually have to shine a flashlight into the burrow to see both the goby and the shrimp. I am just happy it's alive and well after what happened with my first goby. I am more convinced that was a bad fish, unfortunately.

I kind of feel relieved like how parents do when they have successfully raised their kids for 18 years! Lol.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks!

Well, I wouldn't say I can watch him. This picture was definitely a fluke. I usually have to shine a flashlight into the burrow to see both the goby and the shrimp. I am just happy it's alive and well after what happened with my first goby. I am more convinced that was a bad fish, unfortunately.

I kind of feel relieved like how parents do when they have successfully raised their kids for 18 years! Lol.

• 3 weeks later...

Well..I took advantage of the rest of my family napping this afternoon to quickly build my frame/hanger for the new D120 light I picked up yesterday. I'm happy w/ how it turned out, could have been better, but it's temporary anyways. I used 3/4" conduit and 90 deg fittings instead of bending and then spray painted it all black. I had to work around the 3/4" trim of the stand so I needed some wood to block the frame out at the base. Only 1 missed cut later, this is what we have:

There will be 2 photos. (Fast, cell phone pics will take some SLR pics next time.) The first is with the egg crate that I currently use:

eg-w-egg-crate.jpg

2nd is w/o the egg crate:

eg-without-egg-crate.jpg

At first and w/ the naked eye, I didn't see much different between the 2 but when viewed w/ photos, there is a huge difference. For now, since I am not stocked, I will keep the egg crate and just keep an eye out for the frogspawn at the right. Once I get stocked, I will have to rethink my top. (I also have to deal w/ the shadows created by the HOB skimmer.)

I am also a bit surprised at the edges. I was thinking it would give the edges better coverage. With that said, I may take off the 90 deg optics for the LEDs at the edge and see what happens. Of course, I have nothing to compare this light to other than what I've seen on other tanks or in pictures. Overall, I am happy. The build looks solid, it was well packaged and the darn thing is super bright! I will continue to play w/ intensities until I get to a happy place for the tank.

Looks good! I love my new lights! They are sweet. It doesn't look quite centered, is that just the picture?

It's centered. I just checked. After all that metal sawing and grinding, I better hope I can at least hang them centered! ha ha..

The blues just came on. I'm like a kid w/ a new toy. I don't think I realized (or at least not comprehended) until now that the corals change colors w/ the blue. Or better yet, certain colors only come out w/ the blue. I am super amazed! I need to get some slr photos at some point.

Now I'm salivating for more corals but I'm in a bind. I want to leave the tank relatively empty until I get a nem so it can have room to settle w/o stinging anything. But my tank is just a bit too young...So..may just get a few more frags here and there and then sit tight, be patient, and get an anemone for my clowns. Patience, patience, patience..... :)

So...Woke up this morning and found that my pistol shrimp had dug a new burrow at the other end of the tank from the original burrow he shared w/ the YWG. Really funny actually as I don't really know how the sand will look each morning. But the goby stayed in the original burrow.

Is this normal behavior or did they get a divorce? Of course, this has only been one night so I don't know what will happen but any reason for this (temporary or permanent) divorce? Will they talk it over at all and get back together?

• 4 weeks later...

I believe one of my peppermint shrimps hatched fry (or whatever the real term is) last night after lights out. I noticed my clowns going crazy (as opposed to sleeping)...Grabbed a flashlight and saw tons of these little transparent, shrimp looking things floating around and being eaten..After some more research online, it seems like they were little baby peppermint shrimp! That was exciting to see. So at least one of my tank's inhabitants is spawning. I'm well on my way of matching Paul B's tank. Ha ha... Free fish food..Nice!

Hey, I wanted to show you in my post #75 (I think) with the biocube I used to have. In the bottom left of that biocube is the golden torch you saw in my tank the other day. Just a little idea of how far it's come, and how fast things will end up growing in your tank as well!

Hey, I wanted to show you in my post #75 (I think) with the biocube I used to have. In the bottom left of that biocube is the golden torch you saw in my tank the other day. Just a little idea of how far it's come, and how fast things will end up growing in your tank as well!

Wow! You're right about that! I bet you didn't have a true gauge of how well it grew the last few months either until you saw that pic again. Yeah, I'm excited to see how my tank will be at the end of this year with what I have now and what I will be getting later on. Thanks!

So...I guess I will do an update for anyone reading.

Before my cyano started, I added a few frags I got from AA/IC:

- Favia

- Trumpet Coral

- A couple of rics

I also received a few frags from another generous WAMAS member:

- Pink Birdsnest

- Red Monti Cap

- A palys polyp

I have sorry cell pics of them. But why post them? They are frags and are tiny. Tiny frags are not eye candy to me. I'll post when they mature.

They are all doing very well though! (The palys detached itself and ended up somewhere unattainable but it's well.)

It looks like my cyano battle is about over after those lights out and no feeding days. I still see some signs and will stay on top of it until I've absolutely gotten rid of it. But I'm extremely relieved that the battle seems to have been won w/o any chemicals.

Now...I will, however, post pics of another recent addition. This weekend I picked up a beautiful (and little) RBTA. This is a few months ahead of schedule but the opportunity arose and I couldn't let it go. If you've followed me, you will know that I don't do things w/o planning and I don't make decisions based on emotion. I am ready. Let's hope the nems ready for me! Ha ha...

DSC_0001-1.jpg

DSC_0002-2.jpg

DSC_0005-3.jpg

DSC_0006-4.jpg

No interest from the clowns yet.... :wacko:

Also picked up some dragon's breath...will help w/ my nutrient export and add some nice color...

Paul,

I just about dropped what I was doing at work (which was not much since I am typing this right now) and came here. You must have made a mistake stumbling upon my thread. I mean, seriously, I am missing at least a 100G of water volume compared to others in this club as well as MP this and that, controllers for this and that, a sump and many other equipment that I can't pronounce nor understand. You must have made a mistake. If not, thank you. In a year or 18 months from now, I may still have that ugly pump in my tank and HOB this and HOB that but I bet you it will be colorful!

I love that video but seriously, your account must have been hacked. :)

Paul,

You must have made a mistake stumbling upon my thread. I mean, seriously, I am missing at least a 100G of water volume compared to others in this club as well as MP this and that, controllers for this and that, a sump and many other equipment that I can't pronounce nor understand. You must have made a mistake. 

I love that video but seriously, your account must have been hacked. :)

I did stumble onto your thread. I either searched for shrimps, gobi's, Paris Hilton or my name.

And today I took that video so I thought I would post it here.

I also don't have a sump, controllers, dosers or other things I can't pronounce. I am a simple guy with a simple tank.

About a week later, we have interest!

post-2633579-137374608879_thumb.jpg