Go salt or go home. First ever tank! 29G

howaboutme

Post away!!! I'm positive there isn't anyone on this board that hasn't enjoyed the magic you are experiencing... I still have to pull myself away from my tanks each day....I just stare at them for hours like a television (actually would prefer tank watching over TV given a choice and I LOVE TV lol)

This is the best addiction you will ever have!

They created gsp and Xenia and mushrooms to lure you in...there's no going back now....you're in the trap.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Well..I'm trapped! Thanks for the kind words!

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So now I know how off api tests are. I used the syringe that came with the salifert test to see if the 5mL line is correct. It wasn't. The line is lower than it should be which means your results will be off for the worse.

At least now I know my parameters are better if everything else is right.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

Hello :-)

I think I have the same light fixture as you "howboutme", I notcied you had soft coral in your set up a little more than a month... so there is just a 6 month wait for anenomes and not soft coral? :rolleyes:

Thanks!

you can add the soft corals as soon as your parameters are in line....an anemone needs a very very stable environment and if they go south they can take your whole tank with them

oooooh im getting closer to "I told you so..." you will want a much bigger tank in nooooo time (post 68 lol)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

LOL. The voice of experience.

Boy did I learn that lesson quickly! Just started a Red Sea Max 250 (66gal) last July and we are already looking 150-220 gal! Every member on here is a bad influence and the peer pressure is just so hard that bigger is better. :)

there should be a 12 step program....If I had $1 for everyone that started with a smaller tank and upgraded within a year I'd have enough to buy more corals than I could ever put in my tanks...oh wait...then I can get MORE and BIGGER tanks...crap...off to put $1 in my jar ;)

Hello :-)

I think I have the same light fixture as you "howboutme", I notcied you had soft coral in your set up a little more than a month... so there is just a 6 month wait for anenomes and not soft coral? :rolleyes:

Thanks!

hey buddy...i just re-read your specs and it seems like you're right. if you read back a few posts, you'll know that i got these used and they are more a bridge or temporary fixture so that i can start having some fun. as a few people have suggested on this thread, they are enough to grow the "entry" corals. you'll notice that i have a montipora too. that's not doing well at all. the sps corals need more powerful light (and great water) so just keep that in mind when stocking. the club is having a group buy for evergrow led fixtures going on now. if you join, you can see that thread and maybe get in on it. if you want sps corals, you will need to upgrade lights to at least a 4 fixture T5 HO if not more and more wattage.

you can add the soft corals as soon as your parameters are in line....an anemone needs a very very stable environment and if they go south they can take your whole tank with them

Jenn..was hoping to meet you on Sunday. Maybe next time!

Oh...Huly (and other bad influences)...I'm trying to resist and stick to my guns...for now. :)

Jenn..was hoping to meet you on Sunday. Maybe next time!

how did we miss each other? I was looking for you as well.... :(

well, I was a bit late (got there at 1:45 instead of much earlier as I planned and as I usually do)....and listened to Todd's talk(was standing in the back by the door..only person in the room with a nice bright white arm bandage lol) but then Wayne showed up with all my fish and I had to beat feet home to get them all acclimated and in the tank to go grab the kids from the neighbor that was sitting for them .....

Fish and kids? You're excused. Next time!

So...I decided to go ahead and add some new livestock. It's been way over a month since I added the first 2 occ clowns and I think it's time to add the next ones. My daughter and I went to Aquatic Obsessions yesterday to see what they had. The list they put up on the vendors thread looked enticing. The plan was to add a yellow watchman goby and pistol shrimp but was open to others if they sold out. Well, they did of the YWG. They did, however, have a huge (~3.5") and beautiful bluespotted goby available as well as a pretty big red banded pistol shrimp. They also had a couple of nice looking chalk bass, which are on my list too. All three looked healthy and ate well so the decision was my daughter's. (I was hesitant at the size of the goby though.) She chose the goby and shrimp combo and after some quick research on my phone to make sure they have paired before, we pulled the trigger. They were unpaired but may have already paired up as of now. The burrow is behind the rocks so I can't see it very well. Hopefully, they will venture out sometime for me to get a good picture.

Another reason it took so long to get more livestock was because I was debating whether or not to start a QT for the next fish(es). I decided that I was going to take my changes w/ this one and be reactive. I did, today, get everything that I need to start a HT when needed though. I just need to leak test my other old 29G first. The last piece of equipment was a MJ1200 from Mling, a member that lives nearby. Now w/ 3 fish, I may do a preemptive QT for the next fish, which may probably be the last for this build...

Will try to get a picture of the 2 new one's soon.

Oh, forgot to add that I fed Jan's food yesterday and today and the 2 clowns, at least, went crazy for them. I fed way too much the first time, was hard to comprehend how much it actually was in the tank when it's out of the tank. The goby didn't show any interest though. I'll give him a few more days of acclimating.

ok lol i know EXACTLY what you mean...I did the same thing today....I went and grabbed some and the first time I thought it wasn't enough...and then I felt too much...it appears I have become too accustomed to "the cube"

ok lol i know EXACTLY what you mean...I did the same thing today....I went and grabbed some and the first time I thought it wasn't enough...and then I felt too much...it appears I have become too accustomed to "the cube"

Haha, yeah at this rate, the package will last forever! I also got some pe mysis and wondering how I am going to break up the cube since I only have a few fishes to feed...??

when i just need a little i kinda shave off some from the cube....until i get enough...don't shave thin...

Oh yeah, duh...thanks. I promise I would have thought of that eventually! lol.

I just cut a cube into quarters. I use a shot glass and a turkey baster, I suck it in and out after it's thawed, and it breaks it all up. I then feed appropriately. My yellow watchman jumps on jans, but it's gotta fall close to his cave. Bigger meat chunks are fought over by my clowns, and then the scraps to my chromis. My corals also catch whatever falls, with my peppermint and cuc that destroy the rest. if I feel there will be waste, I'll save whatever amount in a shot glass in the fridge till that night or next am.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I just cut a cube into quarters. I use a shot glass and a turkey baster, I suck it in and out after it's thawed, and it breaks it all up. I then feed appropriately. My yellow watchman jumps on jans, but it's gotta fall close to his cave. Bigger meat chunks are fought over by my clowns, and then the scraps to my chromis. My corals also catch whatever falls, with my peppermint and cuc that destroy the rest. if I feel there will be waste, I'll save whatever amount in a shot glass in the fridge till that night or next am.

The turkey baster mixing idea sounds good. I'll give that a try. I hope I don't have to target feed my goby but I'm afraid that I may have to. It's huge so I'm sure it has an appetite! It ate pellets like a champ at the LFS but it was target fed. I'll give it another day or two and see how he is before I target.

Thanks!

No problem. I wouldn't be concerned, the ways I see it is if there is food, and its hungry, it'll eat. I tell my fiance all the time, the dog is not going to let himself starve if there is food avaliable. my watchman will grab huge chunks and drag them in with him.

Wanted to show you this today. I don't have to suck too much up to make quite a whirl of jans that all my fish and inverts love, this is a simple basting kit that I picked up from Quantum Reefs that comes with 3 different size basters, and an extension. I use it for just about everything, I think it was only $20....

DSC_0613_zpsfb3dc962.jpg

Wanted to show you this today. I don't have to suck too much up to make quite a whirl of jans that all my fish and inverts love, this is a simple basting kit that I picked up from Quantum Reefs that comes with 3 different size basters, and an extension. I use it for just about everything, I think it was only $20....

Thanks! Yeah, that's pretty cool. I currently use a $1.99 turkey baster from Wegman's...It doesn't look as nice and it's not as long but it works. I may invest in something like this later though as I'm a bit tired of getting my hands and arms wet. I currently use the baster for 2 things, mostly to blast off rocks and some sand to suspend in the water column before a water change. And tonight, I started to target feed the goby just to see what would happen. Well...nothing. I dropped some pellets (because he was eating pellets at the store) in front of a couple of burrows to see if either the fish or shrimp would come out...Nothing. My daughter is like, "where's the goby?" Ha ha...spend money on livestock you never see!

But I'm sure they are fine, just doing their thing.

Still do not have a good shot but at least you can see the goby's tail here:

goby.jpg

Also see those 2 burrows? Kind of cute. Not sure if it's the goby or the shrimp doing that.

Ok, I just printed out a color image of a clown in an anemone. I will tape this on the glass closest to my frogspawn and see what happens.

Don't laugh. I've heard this works.

lol my clown will try to get to an anemone when it is climate acclimating in a bad floating in the tank...this is so foreign to me to have to train clowns...can't wait to see if this works

lol my clown will try to get to an anemone when it is climate acclimating in a bad floating in the tank...this is so foreign to me to have to train clowns...can't wait to see if this works

Is your clown(s) tank bred or wild?