Go salt or go home. First ever tank! 29G

howaboutme

all crabs are omnivores and will eat anything they can. If you get tiny (1/2") blue legged reef hermits, they take quite a while to grow into a snail threat.

Yes, I'm still torn over getting crabs. My wife and I just think they're so cool to look at. Thanks for the advice on getting small blue legged. I may head over to BRK tomorrow (was considering Marine Scene but they're closed tomorrow, on a Sunday? Why?) and will ask suggestions. Maybe if I get crabs, I will ask about getting extra empty shells the crabs can get into as they grow so they don't bother any snails.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first critters are in! I'm so excited! Thanks to John at BRK, I got just enough to start out with 2 astrea, 2 margarita, 2 nass, 2 cerith and 1 turbo. Man, I thought snails didn't move but some of these suckers have done laps around the tank! I never thought it'll be that interesting to watch snails move. I am, however, afraid that one or more of them will end up on my floor and be little toys for my cat.

Also thanks to John for talking me out of hermit crabs. I was very much leaning towards them (risk and all) but glad I yielded to advice given by him as well as others on this forum.

The plan is 2 clowns next weekend if all goes well!

post-2633579-0-80869100-1362962202_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So the clowns are in! Thanks to BRK, these are 2 ORA occ clowns. They have acclimated very well and are well on their way to exploring the tank. My family and I are super excited to be watching these cute little things swim around. I'm still trying to get them to eat as they have been hesitant. I have heard this is normal though. I did order some Oceans Nutrition Reef Flakes based on some suggestions here so I can have some variety. I think these will be the only fish in the tank for awhile as I continue to have the tank run and practice good husbandry. Think patience.

On a weird note, my nitrates were up to around 20ppm (maybe slightly less based on API), which is weird because I just did a 5G water change on Saturday. I know this is technically not bad for what I have, I still will do another 5G water change tomorrow night just to make sure. This is part of me learning good husbandry as well.

post-2633579-0-62576500-1363656649_thumb.jpg

post-2633579-0-86026300-1363656653_thumb.jpg

So I got the nitrates down to <5ppm w/ another 5G water change. I'm getting better at it and got a lot of detritus and uneaten food. I'll do another one on Saturday. It's good that I don't feel like maintenance like this is a chore. Also helps that it's not taking as long as the first time.

It seems like you're overfeeding, especially if there is uneaten food. Cut it down some and it'll keep your nitrates lower longer.

It seems like you're overfeeding, especially if there is uneaten food. Cut it down some and it'll keep your nitrates lower longer.

I absolutely agree. I was thinking back from when I was ghost feeding while cycling (probably put too much) and now w/ not knowing exactly how much to feed since I'm a newbie....This all contributes to it. I'm also getting some phosphate as well so I'm sure it's all related. I'm getting a better sense of how much to feed these 2 guys now and with some extra wc's, I hope to get all params the way it should be.

FYI-

Margarita snails aren't reef tank snails. They are a colder water species and have shortened lifespans in warmer water.

Yes, I have since found out from another post I did earlier. It's unfortunate but I'll see how they do and how long they last. I've been keeping my eye on them a lot. They seem to be doing well, moving around the tank, etc. I have had to upright them (equilibrium?) a few times during the first day or two of acclimation but have not had to do it in over a week. Do you, or anyone else, think I am harming them by keeping them?

Also, when you say "reef safe", you're referring to the environment and not the fact that they will eat corals? I'm planning on corals in months, not weeks, so I have time.

Thanks for the help!

On another note...I discovered the show Tanked on Animal Planet. Will be dvring it from now on!

Margaritas typically last a few months in a reef tank. They really do slowly cook to death. Temperate species, not tropical.

Same thing happens when you put a lobster in a reef tank.

Margaritas typically last a few months in a reef tank. They really do slowly cook to death. Temperate species, not tropical.

I have one in my tank for almost a year and looks like it is doing fine. Is that rare?

Well, this is unfortunate. I wish I had done a bit more research on snails. But since they are in already, I hope they can last like Tracy's has. Thanks.

I had my first "oops" moment last night/ this morning. I forgot that I was making RODI water and didn't turn it off before bed. I remember when I woke up and hurried down to my basement. Luckily, my filter and Brute are in the unfinished part of the basement and about 16" away from my basement sump/well (strategic placement thinking that something like this would happen). The water just trickled to that and made very little mess. I may have to look into a float system since the next time may not be so good. OOPS!

I thought I would never forget. Took less than a week, water all over. Float is the way to go.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

What's a recommended float? I know a few of you on here have talked about it but I can't remember nor find. Thanks.

They all operate basically the same way. Get the one Jake linked to - mine is very similar and hasn't let me down yet. I also incorporated an ASOV to my RO/DO. It shuts off the flow of water once the float valve gets hit. You don't want the ASOV to be your "controller" for your RODI though. I will manually turn off the RODO until my container is empty then fill everything up in one big shot.

Reason for that is the RODI take a little while to get going everytime you start it up - for example, the firt few minutes of running, my RO will be putting water with a TDS of about 40 into my DI, but after a few minutes the RO is putting out 0 or 1 into the DI. If you were to only run small batches of water at a time, your DI will be depleated much quicker than running fewer, larger batches.

I hope that makes sense.

This is what I have and it works great.... http://www.bulkreefs...loat-valve.html

Ah yes, this looks familiar. Thank you.

They all operate basically the same way. Get the one Jake linked to - mine is very similar and hasn't let me down yet. I also incorporated an ASOVto my RO/DO. It shuts off the flow of water once the float valve gets hit. You don't want the ASOV to be your "controller" for your RODI though. I will manually turn off the RODO until my container is empty then fill everything up in one big shot.

Reason for that is the RODI take a little while to get going everytime you start it up - for example, the firt few minutes of running, my RO will be putting water with a TDS of about 40 into my DI, but after a few minutes the RO is putting out 0 or 1 into the DI. If you were to only run small batches of water at a time, your DI will be depleated much quicker than running fewer, larger batches.

I hope that makes sense.

Can you explain the ASOV a bit? There are 4 inputs/outputs. Is it RODI in/out and waste in/out? When the float shuts off, the back pressure created by the float shutting off the RODI out triggers the valve in the ASOV thereby shutting off the waste as well? Does it also shut off the RODI in to create a bit of redudancy?

Thanks also for explaining making more water less frequently is better. I was wondering about that as I have been just making a small batch at a time whenever I deplete a little for whatever reason. I've been doing that because I'm always afraid if not having RODI in an emergency situation. I guess I can let my Brute deplete a bit more to save my DI. Makes total sense. I appreciate it.

I should have said I'm going to install it. It's been sitting on my shelf for weeks and I still haven't gotten around to it. I got a set for my Dad and he said it's working well - I don't recall how it does what it does exactly, but you're on the right track, it's back pressure that shuts off the water flow. I just don't recall off the top of my head what's getting cut off :)

BRS ASOV Instructions

You'll also need a check valve.

It looks like they have a single kit to get the whole works at once. Check and see if it's a better value for you.

This is what I have and it works great.... http://www.bulkreefs...loat-valve.html

i have the same thing and it has saved my home and my marriage...it took me a while to actually trust it but it works fantastically!!!!

Edited by sachabballi reef

Yes, wife gave me (another) dirty look when I told her at 6am this morning my "oops". I almost thought I was dreaming! I'm just lucky my RODI is not in a finished part of the house. Phew! I'll look into these floats and ASOV's and then get another dirty look when I tell my wife I have to place another order. Thank you all!

So..I got this fixture at the latest fire sale this past weekend:

http://www.marinedep...TFIT54U-vi.html

My question is..what can I grow, if anything, w/ this?

I will not be offended if you said, "nothing". This light cost me very little (was actually hoping for the light Jan ended up getting) and is still a, albeit slight, upgrade to the 17W T8's that came w/ my tank "set". There is little risk for me. I plan to remove the versa top-type cover on my tank and add egg crate/light diffuser as a cover to my tank in addition to these lights. I'd prefer to go topless but w/ animals and a 4 yr old in the house and tank sitting along my staircase, I need to have a method of prevent things from falling in. I will risk the lose of light for this.

I see this light (hopefully) as a bridge to better, more permanent fixtures. I'm just not ready to invest heavily on lighting (therefore corals) until I feel ready and have an understanding of what's going on in my tank. Ideally, I'd like to have my tank running, good params, for many months before I push money into lights. With that said, I'll probably be ready for the next Evergrow groupbuy since that's not a huge dollar committment. :laugh:

So..thoughts?

I don't know about the light, but I would recommend regardless of what light you end up with you do a screen top vs egg crate.

home depot or lowes has all the parts and BRS sells the clear screen.....

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/catalog/product/view/id/1810/

You can grow just about any LPS or softie with it. They really dont require strong lighting.. Start off with some mushrooms and leathers. Very easy and forgiving, also you can probably aquire them for free.. I think youre very wise to be patient and hold off on making large purchases.

I don't know about the light, but I would recommend regardless of what light you end up with you do a screen top vs egg crate.

http://www.bulkreefs...t/view/id/1810/

+1 ... I just bought a big thing of black egg crate I was gonna use, and it KILLS the light.. I went this route bc my tank is rimless and doesnt have the lip like normal tanks have.. I think you will be very pleased with the screen top.

http://www.bulkreefs...t/view/id/1810/

Actually, you just reminded me. My 2nd option is just that, though I would do it myself w/ window screen frame from HD but w/ brs mesh. But even a small toy accidentally falling from the 2nd floor will fall right through. So I'm stuck w/ option 3, egg crate, just because there is depth/structure to it. I might paint it black though to make it look better.

Just saw trocks response too..Am I right in saying this mesh is not strong enough to contain something hard falling on it? It's more to keep fish in then small toys out, correct?

You can grow just about any LPS or softie with it. They really dont require strong lighting.. Start off with some mushrooms and leathers. Very easy and forgiving, also you can probably aquire them for free.. I think youre very wise to be patient and hold off on making large purchases.

Really? Music to my ears! Can you tell me why I would be able to get shrooms/leathers for free? Do they just grow, grow and grow so most people would just want to get rid of it?

Thanks!

i have 2 kids that are a complete challenge in these types of situations..unless that toy weighs a good amount its not going through....its not going to bounce off for sure but its not going through either. My son is 4...their comprehension at that age to not put ANYTHING in daddy's tank EVER is huge...I have found making my kids a part (albeit extremely small) of the tank owning process helps them respect it so much that they wouldn't want to damage anything in it...you will be surprised if they feel an ownership towards it how well they treat it. I even overhear my kids telling the neighborhood kids not to go anywhere near mommy's tank....

make the screen....you will be happy you did....