marine Scene

reefbox

Good people, very considerate and usually very knowledgable. Clean store, healthy livestock. Haven't had any issues with pests. They are pricey though,but you pay for the service and friendly staff.

Edited by Omair

I have gone in there a few times and the staff is always friendly and willing to answer any questions. Stock is pricey but everything looked healthy and colorful when I went in there but I have only bought snails and crabs there before and have no issues with them.

They usually stock ORA, which is nice. Corals are always colorful. Their display is amazing! One of the reasons I'm trying my hand at SPS is because of marine scene's display, karina big barebottom and yauger's cube.

I go every now and then just to see if they have any cool corals. Prices are really high on most of the stuff so I can never afford anything. I am never there at the right time I guess... Their display tanks are the only ones I have seen that actually grow a good amount of cool sps and look good all the time! And I am always asked how my tank is doing and they actually carry on a conversation about it. Which to me is, half the time, why I go to a fish store.

Since I am new to the hobby and just getting my tank going, I've been visiting all of the LFS within a 20 or so minute drive from where I live to see what each can offer and to have a chat w/ the employee(s). I visited Marine Scene a few weeks ago, right when it opened. I found the place to be very nice, clean (store and in tank), good selection and knowledgeable people (at least the guy I spoke with). The guy spoke to me for at least 30 minutes and never once felt a rush to get to other customers that may have been actually spending money. He mentioned that they don't get commission so it's all about customer service. I'd go there again but, yes, it is expensive.

I do know that they do watch their livestock because they had a tank w/ a couple of fish with a sign saying "not for sale". I asked about it and he said the fish looked strange (as in not 100% healthy) so they quaranteed them for treatment. I guess you can be assured that they take care of their fish.

Recommend you visit and establish your own opinion. Most people are saying they are expensive without elborating. I agree some things are expensive compared to the competition, but I've picked up a few things from MS at a bargain compared to what other LFS' are charging. Like most of us, you will prioritize your wants/needs from a LFS and will frequent the ones that fit those needs the best.

Edited by John

I have personally had some very bad experiences with them. I have contracted their services on a couple of occasions, and found them to be unprofessional and argumentative. I would never have them work on my equipment ever again nor would I waste money in their store. Obviously experiences may vary. Since they are still in business, I assume they must.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

Recommend you visit and establish your own opinion. Most people are saying they are expensive without elborating. I agree some things are expensive compared to the competition, but I've picked up a few things from MS at a bargain compared to what other LFS' are charging. Like most of us, you will prioritize your wants/needs from a LFS and will frequent the ones that fit those needs the best.

Totally agree w/ make your own judgment. They have their livestock prices online....as does QR..just look at Occ clowns..you can get an example there.

Comparing livestock prices online is a bad practice, especially when comparing MS to QA. Both use stock photos, not actual photos. Moreover, QA yet has the retail lease affecting their pricing, but MS has been open for 20 years? If you're a budget reefer, stick with what you can afford, but to write off a LFS off for $9 is absurd.

Edited by John

Totally agree, not trying to start an argument. I forgot that QR doesn't have their storefront yet. Again, I don't believe I, nor anyone else, that claimed higher prices have said anything bad about them. Though, I doubt anyone is lying.

The LFS business is not an easy one and many stores have opened and closed around the Beltway while MS has stayed open. They must be doing something right and treating customers right for that to happen.

The LFS business is not an easy one and many stores have opened and closed around the Beltway while MS has stayed open. They must be doing something right and treating customers right for that to happen.

With the occasional notable exception it seems.

We have gone to MS quite a few times as they have, sell, and understand the Red Sea Max systems. So they explain things to us on their own display of our exact system. I was actually there today to pick up copepods. I asked about another product they had (it is copepods but not live) and they said while fish and corals love that food a Mandarin might not touch it. They did not try to sell me a product I did not need. I have purchased livestock both coral and fish and never had an issue. All have been healthy and have done great! I have to drag Pez out of there as he will spend hours talking to the staff and the staff talking to him. In fact most of our fish is being purchased by F&F but last weekend we did buy a gorgeous Mandarin from them as we know they are good so we got him. He is doing amazing! He actually is a people watcher LOL

One thing they did mention to me (as they sale both ORA and non ORA Mandarins) They had both last weekend but the one we wanted (blue was non ORA) they stated they could try to order us an ORA one but they tried to order more ORA mandarins and ORA told them they are going to stop or slow down captive breeding them. I forget why but their was a reason. Anyone else hear this?

Don't forget to ask for the 10% WAMAS discount. Sometime, with that, their fish prices are not too bad. As mentioned, their fishes are always healthy, I've never got anything from them that did not make it, until a tank crash that is.

• 2 weeks later...

Marine scene has always been on the high side for livestock and dry goods. The difference come in with the quality. Everything live I have gotten from them has always done great so I don't really mind that much.

i had to hit up a few of the LFS this past weekend and marine scene was one of them. As ALWAYS their customer service is second to none...they are always so attentive and knowledgeable....their tanks are pristine as well (as they always are). I love going there as it just feels clean and any and all questions get answered and if the person you are speaking with doesn't know they go and ask all their other coworkers...their prices are higher but I will gladly pay that for incredible service and information and great livestock. One of the LFS I went to this weekend I left after 45 minutes and was never asked even once if I needed help or even greeted as I walked around...needless to say I didn't spend a dime....the other stores benefited from their lack of service,...

• 4 months later...

I go there since I live somewhat close by and their prices on some things are better than Congressional.  I agree most of the people there are friendly and helpful which makes a big difference. (isn't it strange we get amazed know when people just do their jobs?)

There was once when I was taken aback and told that my 3 1/2 yo son had put all kinds of things in their tanks (including the big displays in the front which is BS because his head only comes to the bottom of the tank and his arm won't reach)  To that he added how expensive it was and that I'd have to pay for it if something happened (sorry, but in Virginia, the customer can't be legally held liable for damage inside a store regardless of what the owner says).

Anyway, I still go there but my opinion of them dropped considerably after this was thrown at me. 

That's too bad, I like to shop at places that are consistently kid-friendly. Our first two fish for my current tank are clowns we bought at Marine Scene...I think I still have the picture of my 3yr old holding the fish bags inside the store. We had a nice younger girl helping us that day...very patient waiting for that photo before ringing us up. Hopefully you recent experience is an unfortunate outlier

I go there since I live somewhat close by and their prices on some things are better than Congressional.  I agree most of the people there are friendly and helpful which makes a big difference. (isn't it strange we get amazed know when people just do their jobs?)

There was once when I was taken aback and told that my 3 1/2 yo son had put all kinds of things in their tanks (including the big displays in the front which is BS because his head only comes to the bottom of the tank and his arm won't reach)  To that he added how expensive it was and that I'd have to pay for it if something happened (sorry, but in Virginia, the customer can't be legally held liable for damage inside a store regardless of what the owner says).

Anyway, I still go there but my opinion of them dropped considerably after this was thrown at me.

Not trying to start anything, but I have a just turned 4 year old. If you honestly think that because your kid can't "reach" the top of the tank, and you're calling BS because of this fact, you obviously didn't watch your kid. I only say this because you wouldn't have to use the "his arms won't reach" excuse, if you knew for a fact, it didn't happen. My kid threw stuff into a tank at a store and I saw him. Your kid did and you didn't. I doubt they made it up.