Two tanks, One room

YHSublime

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sooooo is it stocked yet?

Haha, no, I'm going to listen to you! Remember how we talked about all that money that went into tanks! Well, I don't want to lose it all in one fell swoop! I'm thinking I'll start my fish list and slowly move over some of the heartier LPS after a cycle, and then see how it goes. I have already started taking live rock out of the 57 and throwing it into the sump, after the cycle, I'll probably get a couple things of tisbee pods to help boost the population for my mandy.

a buddy of mine has been growing mangroves in his fuge for a while and recently changed up his fuge tank and the manner in which he supports the mangroves while they root - i think it turned up nicely and perhaps you can adapt. given time, they will take root in the rock and substrate from the top which you can see well in the third photo. hope this helps with ideas.

Very cool, thanks for sharing. I wish they were bushier, although the supension system he has going on there looks really nice. I'll reach out to some local vendors when I'm ready to get started and see what kind of prices I can hit, otherwise I might try something like this.

Link to the build monkiboy is referring to.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2144250&page=51

Dennis creates some amazing tanks.

Goodbye Sunday night. Thanks for the link, I'll be crusing that for a bit.

After you read that thread, read his old cube build. Amazing. Ecotech used it for advertisement photos

Yep. It was amazing. Complete with a dry section integrated into the tank so the mp10s could have the dry sides covered with the cords going down into the stand. He even made the right call by putting it diagonally in the center of the room which guides people to walk around it rather than just staring at the front.

He is one of those frustrating guys that can take the same pile parts you have which looks like poop and make it look like art.

Isaac, did you make it to see Tony Vargas when he spoke to the club this Spring? Among the things that he talked about was some "European" way of cycling which basically left the tank alone for (I think) three months. He talked of some of benefits of doing this. I don't remember the details but have you given any thought to doing something like this since you've got the other tank at up at the same time and can afford a leisurely handover?

(I've got Tony's book and am sure it's in there but haven't had time to look into it today.)

Sent from my phone

Nice idea and link, Brad. I realized it's the same guy that had that cool saltwater mixing station Marco talked about a while back. Having the mangroves would be kind of a challenge when moving..?? No? Maybe wait until you have something more permanent? Would be cool nonetheless.

Isaac, did you make it to see Tony Vargas when he spoke to the club this Spring? Among the things that he talked about was some "European" way of cycling which basically left the tank alone for (I think) three months. He talked of some of benefits of doing this. I don't remember the details but have you given any thought to doing something like this since you've got the other tank at up at the same time and can afford a leisurely handover?
(I've got Tony's book and am sure it's in there but haven't had time to look into it today.)

Sent from my phone

Tony has a new build thread for his new 300DD tank on R2R.

http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/large-aquariums-180g/122872-tony-vargas-300-gallon-build.html

He most definitely did not practice what he preached...with good reason though.

http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/large-aquariums-180g/122872-tony-vargas-300-gallon-build-8.html#post1476110

Yep. It was amazing. Complete with a dry section integrated into the tank so the mp10s could have the dry sides covered with the cords going down into the stand. He even made the right call by putting it diagonally in the center of the room which guides people to walk around it rather than just staring at the front.

He is one of those frustrating guys that can take the same pile parts you have which looks like poop and make it look like art.

ME. I want to be that guy. I don't know Alan, you did a really nice job yourself, and your patience is going to pay off, your build is looking killer.

Sent from my phone

I wish I had made it. My office had a fire that Friday, and I was busy dealing with insurance and cleanup all weekend. I have his book, the Inception to Completion, is that the one you're referencing? I have browsed through it, but it's next on my list. I have spent a few hours with it already caught up in the pictures alone.

Honestly, if I can make it 3 months, it would be a Christmas miracle. It almost makes me want to shed a tear, because 1.) that's SO FAR AWAY and 2.) I'm coming up on my first completed year of reefing. I have to keep reminding myself that my current tank is very young itself, and my builds and threads I'm sure reflect my terrible case of aquatic ADD.

Your points are valid, especially because I do have a tank setup and running right now, there is no big rush. I will definitly look into the "European" method of cycling. We are also planning on moving in the next year, so hopefully that will not take a huge toll on the tank. Our plan is to stay within 30 minutes of our current location, so I just forsee a huge amount of rubbermaids, trucks, and vans. I will cross that bridge when I come to it I suppose.

I'm hoping to take half my corals off the rock on one half of my 57 (most of my corals are on the racks at the moment anyways...) and take the rock and put it in the sump on the 150. In turn, I want to use that space that I clear to build a temporary frag rack, the corals on the racks are the ones that are thriving.

My other issue, which is not huge, is that I plan on using the skimmer on the 57 on the 150, as well as the light, so when I do switch over, it will be a quick all or nothing, or I will run skimmerless for a while on the 150 and move the heartier corals over first.

Nice idea and link, Brad. I realized it's the same guy that had that cool saltwater mixing station Marco talked about a while back. Having the mangroves would be kind of a challenge when moving..?? No? Maybe wait until you have something more permanent? Would be cool nonetheless.

Jack, I don't think anything will suffer tremendously via a close move, although you are good at reminding me that nothing is for certain. I think if the mangroves suspended like in that link, chances of them taking root into the rocks would not pose an issue. Honestly, the mangroves in the sump would be the least of my concerns when moving the tank, peg them up in a container with some styrofoam, and voila!

Honestly, once everything gets planned out properly, it may be 3 months by the time I'm ready, I've still got that apex staring at me...

Yes, it's in his Inception to Completion book. He probably covers it up front, somewhere after the section on Spouse-approval-factor if I'm right in guessing that his talk was patterned off of the book.

If I get a chance, I'll see if I can find it in his book and point you to the page(s).

Yes, it's in his Inception to Completion book. He probably covers it up front, somewhere after the section on Spouse-approval-factor if I'm right in guessing that his talk was patterned off of the book.

If I get a chance, I'll see if I can find it in his book and point you to the page(s).

Thanks, Tom. I can probably find it, completely forgot about this, and will check tonight. See below for next steps in furthering cycle process.

Got a little ansy last night and was looking to make some progress. I ended up taking all the corals of the rock with a hammer and flat head screwdriver. I took half the rock out of the 57 and put it in the sump, with a few smaller pieces in the display as well. There is almost as much live rock in the tank now as there was cured rock, I have not tested anything but salinity, I expect a teeny cycle.

DSC_0281_zpsd7c2bc57.jpg

DSC_0286_zpsd140050d.jpg

DSC_0282_zpse41214f8.jpg

The lighting in the room and the reflection pose a serious problem to my ability to take pictures, this was a quick shot that I was able to capture this morning on the way out the door. The right side of the tank will house the huge red monticap against the overflow, and the live rock in the DT (the darker pieces) will be put into the sump once I start making the transitions.

DSC_0287_zps833d92fd.jpg

Next step, getting the fricking light up.

Figuring out the sump. Water level is a bit high with all the rock I just threw in:

DSC_0288_zps0eec2535.jpg

Why didn't you use the rock in the display?

Your new avitar threw me for a loop!

So the way the display is set up at the moment may seem strange, or not, but I have a plan for every piece of coral in my 57 to transfer over to the 150. I'm going to keep it as minimal as possible, and my instinct is to shove as much rock as I can into whatever tank I'm working on. Working with my new rock allowed me to keep it simple, and really keep both tanks running at the same time, allowing me the luxury of a slow transfer. The rock that's left in the 57 will be moved into the 150 almost exactly as is. I also had some caulerpa that was growing on one piece of rock in particular, and wanted to constrain all that into the sump. I will probably add a couple bottles of the Tisbee Pods over the next couple weeks.

cough...cough...brads influence...cough cough... :laugh:

I think I am going to start a coup d'`etat over these LED pictures...I can't stand all this blue.....it depresses me....I am going to start begging people to go back to MH....

Edited by sachabballi reef

Your new avitar threw me for a loop!

So the way the display is set up at the moment may seem strange, or not, but I have a plan for every piece of coral in my 57 to transfer over to the 150. I'm going to keep it as minimal as possible, and my instinct is to shove as much rock as I can into whatever tank I'm working on. Working with my new rock allowed me to keep it simple, and really keep both tanks running at the same time, allowing me the luxury of a slow transfer. The rock that's left in the 57 will be moved into the 150 almost exactly as is. I also had some caulerpa that was growing on one piece of rock in particular, and wanted to constrain all that into the sump. I will probably add a couple bottles of the Tisbee Pods over the next couple weeks

That's a tomato clown and BTA I had some time ago. lol

Wow, that is going to be minimalist. 

I think I am going to start a coup d'`etat over these LED pictures...I can't stand all this blue.....it depresses me....I am going to start begging people to go back to MH....

Reminds me of black light posts from the 70's/80's.

Oh, no doubt about it, I asked for his help to keep it that way, I always enjoy looking at his and Peirces tank. My next step is going to be trying to keep the sand as clean.

I just need to figure out how to work my camera a little better. Sit tight, Jenn.

That's a tomato clown and BTA I had some time ago. lol

Wow, that is going to be minimalist. 

It was more so just the new picture that threw me, I'm a creature of habit.

Yeah, it doesn't seem like much right now, but I can assure you that once everything gets in and starts growing out, you'll find that it was planned really well. The monticap rock is placed on another rock to raise it up a bit, and consists of: A huge red cap, a huge golden torch, a huge branch of fragspawn, a big gsp patch growing under the bottom, as well as a RBTA.

The open brain I have will take the place of that rock in the center of the horseshoe. The surrounding rocks I plan on coating with different favias I have in the tank. This will take some time, but the end result will be beautiful. The supporting ledge at the bottom of the arch on the left will have all my zoas. The top diagnoal of the arch will hold all my SPS, closest to the light, with a nice amount of flow. That's the gist of it, but I think it will give the rock a really full look once all those corals start growing out. It will also help focus attention on some of the fish I plan to feature :)

Also, without doing a wall of rock along the back, the 150 is a harder space to aquascape.

This is also the first time I have ever planned for the way I want things to look, so will see. At the end of the day, if I feel the need to add more rock, I know I can pull it out of the sump.

awww its not a knock on you...its the majority of all led pics....

I just need to figure out how to work my camera a little better. Sit tight, Jenn.

Looking good! (I love very blue tanks sooo poo on Jenn for not liking the leds,lol)

I love rock..lots of caves and hiding places...my tank will look nothing like yours..I don't know if that's particularly good or bad...just different as so many opinions in this hobby are,lol

ps...i just placed my order for the dc12000 based on your suggestion :)

Looking good! (I love very blue tanks sooo poo on Jenn for not liking the leds,lol)

passing the koolaid...lol...no thanks!....let there be light! lol...nice bright light!!  ...

I love rock..lots of caves and hiding places...my tank will look nothing like yours..I don't know if that's particularly good or bad...just different as so many opinions in this hobby are,lol

ps...i just placed my order for the dc12000 based on your suggestion :)

My tank doesn't look very blue, unless I have the blues on at night. The pictures don't give a very acurate portrayal, per LED photos accross the board.

I love rockwork as well. I really really do. However, there is something tranquil about the simplicity and letting the tank really speak for itself. It also causes me to really consider what I'm keeping, and where I'll be keeping it. It's like trying to provide order and constants, but everything is unknown! When my work is done, you will be able to sit back and say "ahhhhh, that's what that crackpot was talking about!"

I really think you made the right choice on the dc 120000, the 6000 is a perfectly good pump, for a 75-100 gallon, IMO, especially if you plan on running anything else off it down the road.

Also, does anybody know what that clear thing is next to the mushroom in that picture above? I found it yesterday, and it looks like a clear anemone, very weird. I'll put it on my list of things that I don't know how it got in my tank, like the urchin.

isaac your history dictates that there is no way you can keep this as a Brad tank lol...you have ZERO ability to turn down a coral ...I give you credit for trying but I am willing to put some money on it that slowly but surely that rock comes out of your sump...lol...once a hoarder..... ;)

isaac your history dictates that there is no way you can keep this as a Brad tank lol...you have ZERO ability to turn down a coral ...I give you credit for trying but I am willing to put some money on it that slowly but surely that rock comes out of your sump...lol...once a hoarder..... ;)

Challenge accepted. I'll bet you a coral.

Wait a second.....

Time will tell, Jenn. I've already got fish I can start thinking about instead of corals :fish:

Speaking of fish, I'd like to get some ideas. My current stock list:

Target Mandarin X1

Clowns (regular percs) X2

Blue Chromis X4

Foxface X1

Yellow Tang X1

Hippo Tang X1

I'd like to look into a group of "schooling" or "shoaling" fish. The Chromis are alright, but at the end of the day, you never know how many you'll have left. I'd also like to get my Mandarin a hubby. Other than that, lets hear it!

+1 to that!

To me, it looks like you'll need more rock to be on the same proportion of rock to tank size as Brad's tank...History tells everyone you will run out of rock! On the other hand, you can have many, many clams or open brains!