Two tanks, One room

YHSublime

I'm actually not sure if it's a 120g+sump, I need some more information on that. I found that there are 150 gallon tanks, and the dimensions are as follows by L,W,H:

72 1/2 x 18 1/2 x 28 1/2

Judging by the pictures, this is what it is. I'm presuming because the door by it appears to be whatever a standard doorway is (above 6') so 72" sounds about right.

That leads me to believe there is no sump adding to that volume. In turn it means I'm looking to cover a 72" spread. If that's the case, I think 2x it2080 would be just right.

You are correct, I don't need to have everything covered right away, but I was thinking I could get in before this group buy closes and take care of it.

dude, that's awesome news is a 6-footer!! exciting!

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you pack the same density of life into this 150 as you have in your 57, you will make the Great Barrier Reef jealous! :)

this had me keeled over laughing for a bit - thanks! haha

I don't think I have ever been so excited to see another person get a bigger tank!

If you pack the same density of life into this 150 as you have in your 57, you will make the Great Barrier Reef jealous! :)

I'll be broke with salt before I can stock it the same way!

Getting my popcorn ready for the 150.

Oh yea...did you consider a powder brown tang over the hippo, at all?

Thanks for tuning in! I never considered a powder brown tang over the hippo, I hear they are also finicky with bringing into a tank. Thus far, the hippo is doing awesome. I keep telling him there is a 6' tank coming.

dude, that's awesome news is a 6-footer!! exciting!

Yes sir, PM on the way!

this had me keeled over laughing for a bit - thanks! haha

Jason has the best references for my tank. He told me a couple weeks ago my tank looked like down town Hong Kong during rush hour. The frag racks certainly are not helping right now.

I'm hoping to pull the tank in this weekend, I'm getting ready to start clearing up a spot for it now. The apartment will be cluttered for a bit, but hopefully not for long. I've got another MP40 coming tomorrow, and I got in on the evergrow GB for another IT2080. That puts me at 2x IT2080's and 2x MP40's, which should be enough to get me by on the 150. If I can pull it in this weekend, I can start filling it up, as well as throwing the rock in there, and let it cycle. My birthday is August 11th, and I think the fiance and I are going to leave the country for a 3-4 day summer vacation/celebration, so when I come back, I'd like to have it cycled and ready for transfer.

Anyways, here are a few shots of the 57 from tonight:

DSC_0284_zps8f3ec95d.jpg

DSC_0283_zps42ff3653.jpg

DSC_0281_zpsc5f9b6bc.jpg

DSC_0280_zps19dc634e.jpg

This is the only SPS piece that I'm still waiting to show some polyps on:

DSC_0286_zps4fb258d2.jpg

DSC_0292_zpsff3045c7.jpg

DSC_0293_zps31f6753b.jpg

DSC_0295_zps64be941b.jpg

DSC_0296_zpsd2483451.jpg

DSC_0294_zps8dfbf5e6.jpg

DSC_0304_zps5bbfd1eb.jpg

So things are rocking and rolling right along.

I'm in on the Evergrow GB, bringing me up to a total of two IT2080's. That should do me just fine with lighting. My next worry was getting enough flow, problem solved, found another MP40, not the es model, but oh well, it will get the job done for now.

I'm picking up a 30 gallon sump tonight. It seems like such a small piece for such a large tank, but the biggest width I can go is 16" without getting something custom. I could fit a 55 gallon in there, but I wouldn't be able have ANY room to work in it. There is always the DIY factor on the stand, but I won't have the time or patience on, or the room.

My next concern is cycling. I have all the rock I want to use, and probably don't even want to use all that I have. I'm keeping this bad boy simple and clean. I have been inspired by Brad. I think I'm going to place all my new rock that I plan on using, and let it cycle with a chunk of my current rock. If I were to throw a large piece of rock in there with some GSP on it, or an easy lps, it would most likely be alright, correct? The large rock I intend to use will most likely boost the cycle very quickly, as well as once I transfer everything over, it should pick it up to speed with a bunch of goodies that have been growing in it for a while. I am torn on what I am going to do about the bottom. I really enjoy bare, but I want a little bit of sand, and I think I'll probably transfer my crushed coral in and lay it in a corner and scatter about how it may. Anybody have opinions on this?

Next step will be moving corals/livestock. I have some pallys that are growing on my overflow box, and they are sure to cover it at the rate they are growing. I plan on covering both overflow boxes with pallys. I think a razor blade and some coral glue will hopefully solve this problem. The current colony spans about 8" across and 7" down.

I will be moving the tank in this Saturday AM. If anybody is available to help, I would love some extra hands. If there is anything I'm skipping above, chime in, want to get this done reasonably right the first time!

Exciting times, Isaac! Who would have thought your dream came true sooooo soon! $80 bucks of raffles later, the only person you have to thank is Alan!

The more fully cured LR you use the less of a cycle you'll have, if at all...not sure what the balance is to prevent a cycle if you want to have your gsp in there from the beginning. I put 5.5 lbs of fully cured LR when I cycled and my NH3 and NO2 never jumped higher than .25ppm and cycle took 2 weeks. If you put most of your current rock in, you may never have a cycle..Yippie!

Wish I could help, good luck this weekend.

Congrats! I can't wait to see what this tank starts out as....

Just wait for my 250gallong build in 2014. Or when I just turn the bedroom into an aquarium.

Just wait for my 250gallong build in 2014. Or when I just turn the bedroom into an aquarium.

LOL. WATER BED!

I bet your GSP will make it through the cycle no problem. That coral is as bullet proof as they come as long as you give them light.

As for the sump, I think you will be happy enough with the 30g. That is what I am running and I feel that it provides a good balance of space, and maneuverability when working around it. If you plan on adding a bunch of reactors that may change, but for now you should be good to go.

Are you going to transfer everything from your 57 to the 150? If that is the case you probably won’t see a cycle at all because the life on your rocks/sand is already adjusted to the current bio load. Throwing them into a larger body of water won’t affect their function at all. Just don’t throw what you currently have in and go out and buy 50 more fish right away.... DO YOU SEE THIS ISAAC?? Don't buy 50 more fish this weekend. I know how you operate! LOL!

LOL. WATER BED!

I bet your GSP will make it through the cycle no problem. That coral is as bullet proof as they come as long as you give them light.

As for the sump, I think you will be happy enough with the 30g. That is what I am running and I feel that it provides a good balance of space, and maneuverability when working around it. If you plan on adding a bunch of reactors that may change, but for now you should be good to go.

Are you going to transfer everything from your 57 to the 150? If that is the case you probably won’t see a cycle at all because the life on your rocks/sand is already adjusted to the current bio load. Throwing them into a larger body of water won’t affect their function at all. Just don’t throw what you currently have in and go out and buy 50 more fish right away.... DO YOU SEE THIS ISAAC?? Don't buy 50 more fish this weekend. I know how you operate! LOL!

Plan on doing a transfer after cycle. But I didn't read the rest, I was too busy looking at the 80 fish I want to throw in... I've got way more room for only 50!

Plan on doing a transfer after cycle. But I didn't read the rest, I was too busy looking at the 80 fish I want to throw in... I've got way more room for only 50!

LMAO! I knew it :)

Just got done playing with the living room. Completely changed my mind about how I wanted things to go tomorrow. It's not ideal, but I also don't have to break our desk down and try and hook our router up on the other side, which is a plus.

I'll get critiqued in the morning. Critiqued is french for something else.

I'm going to assume....or maybe hope is a better word...that you asked your companion where SHE wanted things?

Always wise to ask the non hobbyist where to put things as they will have to deal with them....

I'm going to assume....or maybe hope is a better word...that you asked your companion where SHE wanted things?

Always wise to ask the non hobbyist where to put things as they will have to deal with them....

Weird, she just woke me up to tell be she really likes it.... Score!

Weird, she just woke me up to tell be she really likes it.... Score!

Oh you are sooooo lucky!

If my husband re arranged the furniture without asking, unless he was putting in a new tank for me, I would be über mad...whether I liked it or not,LOL

Oh you are sooooo lucky!

If my husband re arranged the furniture without asking, unless he was putting in a new tank for me, I would be über mad...whether I liked it or not,LOL

Yeah, she actually loves it better. It really opens up our space a bit more, I think I enjoy it more as well! I cleared her out for the morning (not really, she had something else to do..) but it worked perfectly and gave me a chance to mess around and clean everything up before she came back. I just sent a picture and she loves it, it's a win win.

So many people to thank here at this stage, I feel like I'm doing an acceptance speech for this award.

First off, I'd like to thank AlanM, for making all this possible.

Second, I'd like to thank Dip for being so accommodating and helpful with the transition, and for holding onto it for so long. Congratulations on your new upgrade!

Marcos (and Cousin,) couldn't have done it without your willingness to help move it. Seriously, Marcos is a machine and all business! I showed up and him and his cousin had this thing loaded up in the TT waiting to go, I was worthless!

Oh, and just to be clear, I am so excited It's out of control, I think what you were perceiving when you were here was me being overwhelmed. I've got a lot of work cut out for me! Fun work though!

Jason,for being just as excited about this build as I am. Walked me through a lot of plumbing issues, and as always, great advice.

Richard, ERC, just even offering to drive an hour to come help out with this means a LOT! Thanks man!

Everybody else that was looking forward to this just as much as me. This is going to be a wicked fun ride, 14-150 in 9 months seems to be my top speed.

Congrats! Looks really great there. Good luck filling it. Now you have three times as much reason to get your apex working.

It is sprinkling in gaithersburg, so of course our power is out. It is good, though, because now I get to see how long the powerhead runs on battery and what happens when the power somes back on the apex. I already have an apparent bug in my apex code which kept the tunze powered, but not turning.

looks much better in your house than in my garage :tongue: . Good luck with the new build. Hopefully I will get my tank started soon too.

I like!!!!!!!!

Congrats....by the way this is soooo much fun to live vicariously through you!

Having a blast over here. I switch from having an overwhelming feeling to an "OMG, YES YES YES!" back and forth. Lot of work to do with plumbing and planning. Keep tagging along, it's going to be Bananas.

Congrats brother! Looks awesome!

Thank you!

Congrats! Looks really great there. Good luck filling it. Now you have three times as much reason to get your apex working.

It is sprinkling in gaithersburg, so of course our power is out. It is good, though, because now I get to see how long the powerhead runs on battery and what happens when the power somes back on the apex. I already have an apparent bug in my apex code which kept the tunze powered, but not turning.

3x as much is right. The real estate is a bizare concept. I knew I would get here... just didn't think it would be so soon. I just got my battery backup as well, saved it for this build instead of hooking to the 57. I'll do the Apex once I get plumbing outta' the way. Down the road I'll need the WXM adapter for my MP40's.

That looks perfect! Great job Isaac

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

You have no idea how great it just... worked out. I have been stressing about bringing it in all week, because, you know, the non reefer in the family. She gave me some play time this morning and when she came in announced "You know what, I know you're not going to believe me, but I LOVE IT." And then proceeded to say:

Hmm..interesting. Your home looks bigger w/ that tank.

and I said... I told you (which I did, the space does look bigger...) and you didn't believe me!

So good thing everything went smoothly, because if you see above, it was about 2am when I finally figured out how I was going to do this.

looks much better in your house than in my garage :tongue: . Good luck with the new build. Hopefully I will get my tank started soon too.

I have to admit, I like the location here better as well! Thanks again for everything, I'll be looking forward to seeing what you do with your space!

Congrats on the new tank! Looking good.

Thank you very much!

SO MANY ACTIVITIES!