Alan's Rimless 75 build

AlanM

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ack! I didn't realize that was happening. I better hurry up and add some info. 8)

Hehe i saw it on my Facebook feed...i said to myself..i know that tank :)

sweet - you do an awesome job of keeping your profile up to date, wowzers!

It's embarrassing in a way. Now everyone can see the zeovit stuff I have been trying to help get rid of cyanobacteria and grow these corals.

Guess what. So far what works to get rid of it is to siphon it out. Lol. Magic drops not doing the things so far.

So far what works to get rid of it is to siphon it out. Lol. Magic drops not doing the things so far.

It's cheaper also!

• 1 month later...

New addition to the tank as of two weeks ago. He seems to be doing well. I have lots of pods for him to eat if he can catch em. I'm also tossing in live enriched baby brine. Also featuring a photo bomb by the tank ham.

Fun! I've gone through two. Maybe 3rd time will be a charm for me? Looks like you did a good job in making sure you had the support system for it, I think earlier I jumped the gun on thinking my tank was ready. If I ever cycle another tank, I will do it without fish for as long as possible, that has been the best solution that I have found to boosting a pod population.

Haha, stay tuned.  In a couple of weeks will have more.  Went to QR today and got a bottle of tigger pods.  They're fun looking jumping around in the bottle, but looks like barely a midnight snack for Mandy.  I'll put them half in the fuge and half in the tank after lights out and hope they multiply. 

Also took my first good look at the Thrive bottles, which are really nice.  Big steel bottles of pretty concentrated stuff makes the price pretty good.  I'd never even looked at it because the packaging is so slick I thought it would be super expensive.  Or maybe I am jaded now after buying some blue glass bottles from KZ.

• 1 month later...

Alan, how about a growth shot update?! I'm sure your stuff has been filling in nice since last we saw!

Seems like everything has taken off, yeah. I started doing individual threads for questions, like "what's this hole in my setosa" and "who wants to buy some berghia with me because I have lots of aiptasia that laughs at the wand and aiptasia-x."

I am having a weird continuing problem with very high Mg levels, confirmed by Salifert and a replacement Red Sea Pro test (threw out my old one with 1 year old reagents just in case), but considering nothing seems to be dying, and things are actually growing quickly enough for me to end up whacking off monti cap frags when I clean the glass I'm trying not to focus on it too much.

I have a birdsnest island that lacks a sample of ponape birdsnest to be more complete, I think, but they're all growing together in a way that I think is cool. There is some pocci there that I've been warned is a pest, but I like it (famous last words).

I've been dosing potassium and some interesting colors are changing.

Ill post some growth shots.

I was dosing potassium for a while using the blue bottle from zeo. Too expensive for my taste, not any noticeable results. Plus I didn't have a test kit. Birdsnest island sounds neat, look forward to pictures!

This pic is for Squishie89, a baby limpet from the ones she gave me a while ago.  I haven't seen them in a while.  I see stomatella all the time, but never any limpets, but here's a little one.  Sorry for the blurry photo.  Impossible to get camera phone to stop autofocusing on things other than the glass. 

IMAG1516_zps95612182.jpg

Birdsnest island with 4 different kinds.  Two kinds of pink ones.  One thicker and one thinner, one green one, and a massive rainbow one that is the fastest growing thing in the tank.  The thicker pink one was from graham, I think, but the thinner pink, green, and rainbow are from Neto.

IMAG1514_zps20d48141.jpg

Here is a montipora spongodes (green/brown curvy points in the back), montipora stellata (purple/green sharp points in the front), a baby blue acropora loisetteae, a purple staghorn to the right, some superman monti underneath, and a purple rim green cap and red cap with banggai photobomb.

IMAG1515_zpsabba51b4.jpg

This is the biggest acropora in the tank.  It's an acropora tortuosa from Tony, Ridetheducati.  It has more than doubled in size since I got it.  It's a good demonstration that if you want a big colony quickly start with a colony, not with a tiny frag.  Growth rate really depends on the starting size.

IMAG1517_zps35a9f8a0.jpg

Very nice

• 1 month later...

Recent FTS with a rack of new "Marcofrags" up at the top stuck to the overflow box.  Check out how pink that one on the far right is!  Now you can see why I need more rock or a bigger tank.

f07152947d11c4af2ba65d1029e5fc42_zps4fae

By the way, on the front center near the sand diagonally up from the bunch of purple zoas is a chalice that I got from epleeds about 3 months ago.  It was blue with red eyes when I got it and has held it's color really nicely and is super cool looking.   It's about double the size from when I got it even though one hermit crab likes to sit on it from time to time. 

I rarely see people going really crazy over chalice corals, the crazies are mostly about acropora, but I could see getting really in to cool chalices.