Alan's Rimless 75 build

AlanM

Wow! I see no sign of cyano! Just kidding..

You've got some huge corals in there in a short amount of time. Nice job....Now..let's take this to the next level. :)

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all the nice comments! 

I have continuing problems keeping the colors of everything except green corals in my tank, but the green looks really nice.

I also have cyano on the sand, but I'm getting used to it. 8)

Once I get the aquamags that a WAMAS member has waiting for me I'm going to mount the new frags on the back wall for a bit more room.  Eventually I want a 3-4 inch clam sitting somewhere, but I need to get rid of some zoas first to make room.

• 2 weeks later...

Was going over the tank today looking at stuff and realized that the stylo was looking much nicer these days.  This is the one that Graham (gws3) sells in his threads, and it is looking great, even in a cruddy cell phone pic.

IMAG1666_zpsusu2sqct.jpg

I've dialed up the flow in the past week and the corals are responding well.  Also, it might have helped me win a skirmish with cyano for a while.  I thought the "flow" recommendation people for cyano were crazy, but it seems to have helped.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

New FTS.  I'm experiencing a growth spurt of everything.  Probably because I increased light levels again.  For about a year I hardly used calcium, even though I used alk up.  Now I'm dosing lots of Ca and Mg for the past month.  Weird, but I think the tank is looking nice.  Birdsnest island over on the right is a family favorite

IMAG1899_zpsdnuligty.jpg

Nope.  It kind of faded away.  I get a little bit here and there, but not large quantities.  That period where everything in the tank was so upset because of cyano filaments growing all over (zoas, xenia, and some SPS even) was so weird.  Faded away eventually.

Nope.  It kind of faded away.  I get a little bit here and there, but not large quantities.  That period where everything in the tank was so upset because of cyano filaments growing all over (zoas, xenia, and some SPS even) was so weird.  Faded away eventually.

Cool..and no real, definitive technique that you tried that controlled it?

• 1 year later...

Any update on this tank Alan?

I was just getting ready to bump this as well, great minds...

Haha.  You're right, it's been a while.

Here's a FTS from this morning.

I'd been having lots of problems with algae growing everywhere and cyano on the sand.  Attempts to carbon dose to get nutrients leached out of the rocks and sand nearly wiped out my tank and drained all of the color from my corals and still allowed the cyano and hair algae to grow just fine.  

When I saw tips dying on my corals and my favorite blue acro start to RTN (an oregon blue tort from copps) I stopped carbon dosing, let it ride for a few weeks and slowly started going the other direction.  I feed heavier, add Red Sea Reef Energy A and B (aminos and other dissolved coral food), turn off the skimmer 50% of the time, added 40 hermits and 10 astrea snails and started siphoning out sand.  That started 3 months ago and everything is really recovering color and growing well again.  Strangely enough, the algae is all dying back now and the corals are starting to go gangbusters.  You can see one purple stag is now touching the surface.

20160309_085822_zpsybc49vqq.jpg