Beananimal hole design

Der ABT

getting ready to drill the tank and wanted to get some others opinions on hole placement

im doing an internal coast to coast and will be going with the bean 3 hole desing.

from what i understand all 3 holes are leve with each other.

How far down do you have them from the trim at the top of the tank? i think bean initially had the holes centered at 4.25in from the trim. (so about 3.5-3.75 in from the top fo the trim to the top of the hole

the over flow box will go to the top of the trim and i will have a weir thats probably keeps the water leve just below that (so the just above the visible trim bottom (hope im making sense)

anyone mind sharing what they did, if they feel they should have gone lower higher etc,

should the open drain be slightly higher than the full syphon?? etc.

thanks ahead of time

LETS GO SKINS

LETS GO CAPS (cant wait to see the first hockey game ...been too long)

The holes don't really have to be level with one another... Although, IMO, they do look better that way.

Make them at least low enough such that after adding an up-turned elbow, the top edge of the elbow is below the top edge of the tank. Lower in this case it a little better (within reason) since you can add a little PVC inside the upturned elbow to raise it. It's a lot tougher to try to cut down an elbow and make it look pretty (though doable).

The distances you are talking sound fine (unless you are using something crazy like 2" piping!

I would run the full siphon with 1" pvc. You don't even need an elbow on the full siphon. Just leave it open bulkhead (assuming you have enough volume in your sump to handle all the water).

Holes sound good.

Only using 1 in holes.

thanks for the quick response, was actually just out there with a 90 testing that same thing out.

now the next question

on the oceanic 156 there is the middle glass that is about perfect for where i want my over flow...making my drill press basically unusable. but will just make a guide outta wood that should work just as well i hope.

here is a pic

2013-01-06_13-53-21_970.jpg

2013-01-06_13-42-36_848.jpg

is there any reason to not put the overflows right below that glass, it will make getting into there a bit difficult and is making me think it may be better to move them off to one side.

i was going to do a 3 foot internal overflow (tank is 5 feet) but now im thinking to do an actual coast to coast the full length of the tank and have the holes drilled closer to one side of the tank so i can access them if needs be (but i dont really see a need to access them cept if something gets clogged....but i could always take off the bulk head to do that.

Any reason you don't want to go full c2c (returns are the only thing I can think of)? The reason I ask is because there is a risk associated with the centered holes and a much reduced risk from moving the holes off to one side.

Evan, I can try and take a pic of my setup if you want or you can check it out. I wouldn't put them under the glass. You want to be able to access it in at some point. It's worked well for me so far.

Only reason i was not doing coast to coast cause of light blockage but is not really an issue. Returns will be over the back not drilled only plan on drilling 3 holes so i guess ill go for the full coast to coast and spread them out some

Roni how far down from the top of the tank are yours. To the top of the pipe for ease of measuring

i agree in not having them under the glass. while i'm running a herbie not a bean, the idea is the same in that you need access to the 90s on the inside of the overflow. you'll find yourself playing with pieces of pvc to raise the emergency drains or to have a cover over the overflow, blockages, etc.

any reason you want to go bean or herbie? folks always seem to find it hard to get water level under full siphon but without having it enter the second drain. some folks just deal with the extra trickle into the second and emergency drains as it's hard to fine tune even with the best cepex valves. some folks use needle valves even. with a herbie you can allow much more room between your pipes for tinkering and changing water levels and pressure that might change in your overflow which equals complete silence.

also, you mention blocking of light...any reason you didn't go external? do you have space constraints?

planning my 210 build so i'm curious and open to feedback. good luck whatever you decide to do!

ps - the clown pair still hot for each other and doing well? haha

Edited by monkiboy

Yeh man clowns are doing great together, only get to see them every couple of days (in the main tank) but they are always right next to each other....i know my B&W is much happier, he is eating out of my hand now too.

Not going external for fear of that thing giving way, tank is an oceanic tank that was initially drilled for internal overflows. got rid of those space killers and plan ondrilling up high....i just cant risk the external giving way though i was very tempted to go that route.....space is a Sorta issue but i woulda worked around it....maybe if i get ballsy ill give it a shot down the road...but i think ill save that for next tank as this one is taking long enough and when i dont have my finished basement at risk....

As for the herbie vs bean....no real issues with either...been running a herbie on my current 90g and truthfully they dont pull enough water if you ask me, granted they are only 2x3/4 holes in my 90g and are just fine noise wise...but my return is a mag 9 that is throttled way back and just doesnt seem to be as much flow as i would like...

but seen alot of nice tanks with the bean and though i would give it a shot....can always switch over to the herbie if i cant get it adjusted.

gonna spend a little more time at the drawing table before i drill the tank and really decide which route....but still anyone with suggestions, things they would do different etc i woudl appreciate it.

anyone done an external where there was none before?

If you want to drill in the center, just do one under the glass and make it your full siphon. Spread the side ones out a little further so they aren't under the the glass. They can be your non full siphon ones that you will probably add pvc extensions to raise as needed.