OldReefer Rebuild

OldReefer

Bill: Looking good. I also can't wait to see the new look when it's back in action. If you prefer, I can deliver your new nems to you and offer a bit of elbow grease on the build. Let me know what works for you. Steve

• 4 weeks later...

Here is a long over-due update.

The tank is back together and settling in. I am very happy with the mix of light I have now. I ultimately ended up with 3 AI Sol Blues, 2 - 80 Watt Fiji Purples, 2 - 80 Watt Giesmann Blue+, and 2 Strips of 12 XTE Royal Blue LEDs.

Here is a picture of everything in the hood:

042_zps9a12c893.jpg

This is what the tank looks like all together. I much prefer the color I am getting over straight LEDs:

048_zps2288284b.jpg

049_zps7158dc91.jpg

049_zps7158dc91.jpg

051_zps36485401.jpg

This whole thing started with a bad case of Bryopsis. I carried some of it over with the corals and odd piece of rock I couldn't give up, but I am having great success treating it with Hyrdogen Peroxide. I am spot treating rocks and clams by putting a few drops on straight from the bottle onto the Bryopsis and then rinsing it off with tank water in a couple minutes. Badly infected colonies I am dipping straight into a bucket of 50% Hydrogen Peroxide and 50% tank water. I treat for about 2 minutes. No ill effects on the corals and the Bryopsis fades in a couple of days.

Here is a picture of one rock the day after spot-treatment ...

044_zpsfa773c08.jpg

and then a week later...

056_zps2093aeaf.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Where did you get the "dry starboard?" What exactly is it? Great looking tank, love the lights. Would love to talk to you/see it/gather insparation. We are close!

OldReefer, I'd missed this thread. It looks awesome. Looks like you're the one to talk to if someone wants a great recovery after tank problems.

YHSublime, I've seen bare bottom tank builders on RC go to http://www.cuttingbo....com/custom.asp for their starboard.

Thank you, sir!

• 1 month later...

Bill,

I'm so glad to see the t5 supplementation! I really like how your lighting fixture turned out and the tank is looking pretty good too!

Hope all is well!

Chad

Bill, sorry I missed this thread until now. You have a GORGEOUS tank! Great job. I hope the bare bottom works out for you, and I'm glad to hear that you're not travelling so much anymore.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

With recent airline news, I have a feeling Bill's attention won't be on updating this thread for a bit.

With recent airline news, I have a feeling Bill's attention won't be on updating this thread for a bit.

Bill's retired from the Airline Safety Foundation, but I can't believe that he's completely freed from the topic. I've been thinking about him since the plane went down at SFO. Then, with that small plane in Alaska today....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...