No Power Backup... Storm on it's way... Local Generators Sold Out... What are my options?

Curtis Scott

I can't find a reasonably priced generator because they are all sold out.

What is a good alternative backup power supply? I've seen people use boat batteries and a few other options. Just wondering if I could possible put something together tonight just encase.

Thanks

edit: I do have a pm into DaveS about his generator, but think I might be too late.

Edited by Curtis Scott

Computer battery back ups for circulation and air pumps. I have 750va 500w units set up on both my tanks. I may not have return pumps, but I'll have circulation and air turn over. I can always plug in the return pump and skimmer as well for periods of time. But I don't think we've lost power for more than a minute or two in Centreville the entire time we've lived here.

Closest place is going to be Micro Center in Vienna.

Computer battery back ups for circulation and air pumps. I have 750va 500w units set up on both my tanks. I may not have return pumps, but I'll have circulation and air turn over. I can always plug in the return pump and skimmer as well for periods of time. But I don't think we've lost power for more than a minute or two in Centreville the entire time we've lived here.

Closest place is going to be Micro Center in Vienna.

Do you know how long do those last in the event of a power outage?

Tom, around $500-$700 tops for a solid backup solution, preferably a generator with 3500 - 5000 running watts. This would be able to handle my tanks, fridge and a few other things.

Since I can't really find one right now with the storm on its way, I'm open to other solutions.

Kevin, that's what I was thinking about. I've been in Centreville for last few years and only had the power go out for a couple hours in the past. If power does go out, how long (hours) do you think something like this will last if I was running just my main pump, heater and power-heads?

Found a similar model... "Supports entry-level PC systems up to 35 min. during blackouts" :(

http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/Tripp-Lite-750VA-450W-UPS-Desktop-Battery-Back-Up-Compact-120V-USB-RJ11-PC/981415.aspx#PO

I'm not convinced this would be worth it if that's the battery life. Still searching...

Try Costco for a generator. Most likely, retails will not have any. If you can get you hand on an power inverter, grab it! It save my tank during the last power outage that lasted 3+ days.

fortunately I was one out of three that got their hands on a generator from costco, its a 9KW (9000w) and it was $699 w/ remote start and will power my tank and fridge with ease including 2 metal halides and all pumps!, save as much $ as you can through this storm with a battery bubbler $15 pristine had them earlier this week, not sure about right now (I survived derecho with the loss of one tiny green chromis) and buy one of these when its not panic mode.

big +1 to flooddc -

again I got the first out of 3 (very fortunately) from the springfield costco, but they were sold out 3.5 seconds after opening today. the power inverter and an extension cord ran my return pump (mag 9), one mp40, one mp10, and my skimmer over the summer for the last storm. Heat was my problem, which hopefully you won't have to worry about.

For me, I don't need my heater attached, my basement is the warmest area of the house... probably from the humidity of the fish tanks, so my temp stays up pretty well when the lights are out. If you are just running the pumps a battery back up should last a while.

This is what I'm running:

http://www.tripplite.com/en/products/model.cfm?txtModelID=3007

Edited by Kevin Garrison

(edited)

Thanks for all the feedback everyone! I think I will stop by best buy today to see what battery back ups they have and hold off on the generator for now. Since the most important things are the air pump and power heads. It will be easier to find generators after the storm passes I'm sure.

Edited by Curtis Scott

I use 3 bait bucket air pump attached to old style corner bubbler filters filled with carbon. 2 D cell batteries are supposed to last 60 hours. I've never had to use them that long but they ready for the storm.

For my 90 gallon I use a boat battery and inverter for the display - that runs the return for about 12+ hours. After that an air bubbler in the sump (don't forget the sump!) and two in the display. One bubbler in the smaller tanks (< 24 gallons) worked fine for several days after the derecho.

Tom, around $500-$700 tops for a solid backup solution, preferably a generator with 3500 - 5000 running watts. This would be able to handle my tanks, fridge and a few other things.

Since I can't really find one right now with the storm on its way, I'm open to other solutions.

Kevin, that's what I was thinking about. I've been in Centreville for last few years and only had the power go out for a couple hours in the past. If power does go out, how long (hours) do you think something like this will last if I was running just my main pump, heater and power-heads?

I picked up a 5KW generator with a Subaru engine last night at HD in Leesburg ($600). They still had several on a skid there. In the next year or two, I may be upgrading to a partial-home solution. But, for now, this will probably have to do. 12-1/2 hours run time on 6 gallons of gas.

Costco and Sam's club have the 9000W generators for around $700-$800 right now. I also picked up a jump starter from Sam's Club last week for recharging my lawn tractor's battery and it has a lighter adapter on the front that could run an inverter. I don't know how long it would run it for, but there's an option for you as well ($60-$70 for the inverter and charger).

^ It will handle it easy. Just be sure to start the van every hour or so.

those battery powered pumps are pretty nice to have. Last time I didn't have a generator initially and that and a vortech backup ran my main tank and pumps did the smaller tanks.

What is an inverter?

Converts a DC voltage source to AC. In this case, 12 Volts DC (like from your car) to 120 VAC.