First shipments for the new tank came in

MBVette

I am getting excited about my rebuild, and have started getting the shipments of all the things needed for the next tank. Only problem is that the tank wont be in for another 8 weeks.

Here is 200lbs of sand and 360lbs of rock from marco rocks and the waterblaster 10k which will be the return pump. Now I just need to find somewhere to put all of this.

rocks.jpg

Now I just need to find somewhere to put all of this.

You can store them at my house. lol

Very cool. Waiting eight weeks is going to feel like forever.

Oh I know. Its been about 3.5 weeks already and this morning I was looking at the calendar to see how much longer I have. Now having all of the boxes here is only going to make it worse.

In the next couple days I should be getting a couple more pumps, my skimmer, reactors, ATO and a few other things. I dont know how Im going to make it 2 more months.

oh man thats gotta hurt looking at that without being able to put it in the tank.....nice choice on the waterblaster, let me know how you like it....put a tarp over it or something so your not tempted to set up the rockwork in the entrance haha.

...so your not tempted to set up rockwork in the hallway.

Lol! I say go for it! Can't scratch up the tank with a rock slide if it is not in the tank! You could also start to make it live by seeding it & letting it sit in SW with a power head. It cuts down on wait time.

...so your not tempted to set up rockwork in the hallway.

Lol! I say go for it! Can't scratch up the tank with a rock slide if it is not in the tank! You could also start to make it live by seeding it & letting it sit in SW with a power head. It cuts down on wait time.

Yeh! Get that rock cooking. It will save you months.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I dont have anywhere to keep it while cooking it, so its just going to have to stay in the boxes. H-E-double hockey sticks I dont know where the 7 boxes of rock and 5 boxes of sand are even going to fit; and I can stack those.

(edited)

If it is new rock why does it need to be "cooked"?

In my experience with Marco rocks (started with 700 lbs in my current system), this is not sterile/clean rock. Granted, it did not have the odor of "fresh" LR fresh off the boat, but it did have enough organic matter on it to go through a full cycle (algae and all). You can either do that in the tank or (preferably in my opinion) ahead of time in an unlit vat while seeding it towards true LR. As this tank is going back into his workplace, I would think that shortening the sterile/lifeless phase of the tank would be a plus. Understand the space issue though . . . actually my wife has a better understanding of that issue than I. :roll eyes: Overall it's great rock and I would use it again. Looking forward to the build thread once your tank comes in.

Edited by Steve175

Thats the plan. That is exactly what I did last time; sure it takes some time but watching the rock bloom is pretty cool.