Electrical fires more common

zygote2k

I've just been to another aquarium fire that could have easily been prevented

I see so many instances where powers strips are daisy chained together and dangling over water

I've been shocked on many occasions by stray voltage too. I see people using dj switch panels over or near water but they are made for dry electronics.

I'll be putting together a waterproof electrical enclosure on the next few builds and will document the process

I think a lot of people think that as long as there is an air gap, you're safe. People don't think about humidity and salt creep.

+1

Also, I can't see NOT having your equipment plugged into a GFI (ground-fault interrupt) circuit/outlet.

In my case I have 4 outlets up high not on a gfci; and had nothing there until a few months ago when I added cooling fans up by my lights. I also did not put them on a surge protector; so I went from a good setup to one with 2 $5 fans plugged straight into a wall.

So use GFCI's and surge protectors on everything

I think a lot of people think that as long as there is an air gap, you're safe. People don't think about humidity and salt creep.

+2

I am a huge proponent of a standalone dry cabinet for electronics. Sump cabinets and outlets can cause problems (though there are a few really clean sumps that work out well, but it adds maintenance requirements).

Although, even a dry cabinet can have problems if potential sources of water infiltration are not addressed... remember my problem last winter?

Thanks for bringing this up, Rob. I am looking forward to seeing how you go about it.

In my case I have 4 outlets up high not on a gfci; and had nothing there until a few months ago when I added cooling fans up by my lights. I also did not put them on a surge protector; so I went from a good setup to one with 2 $5 fans plugged straight into a wall.

Though implied, you forgot to mention the fire here from those $5 fans that were plugged into non-GFCI outlets.

I keep my powerstrips inside my tank so I don't have that problem. The water keeps them from going on fire and eventually they make great live rock but due to the shape, they are used for base rock only. The wire is hard to conceal. :unsure:

If you are worried about fire then you should be installing AFCI breakers or outlets. Having an AFCI in conjunction with a GFCI is the ultimate protection.

Though implied, you forgot to mention the fire here from those $5 fans that were plugged into non-GFCI outlets.

Yes the darn $5 fans have caused $350k in damage.

If you are worried about fire then you should be installing AFCI breakers or outlets. Having an AFCI in conjunction with a GFCI is the ultimate protection.

I agree, my tank is wired into its own circuit that has all Arc Fault Circuit Interrupters and then each plug is an individual GFCI.

Great idea. AFCI's run about $30 or so these days, and are installed in your breaker panel (replacing the old breaker). Here's something from Home Depot about how to install them if interested.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/catalog/servlet/ContentView?pn=KH_PG_EL_Installing_ARC_Fault_Circuit_Breaker

If installing the breaker type make sure it is a "combination" labeled AFCI. The combo means it is UL listed to protect code wired as well as plug connected items. If it isn't labeled for protecting plugged loads it is only designed for protecting the wiring from the breaker to the outlet.

There are also AFCI outlets that look similar to the standard GFCI outlet.

^Those must be what Paul is using :)