Can Clams come out of water for a couple minutes?

sen5241b

I want to lower the water level to about two inches in my BC29, torch my colonial hydroids (which will take about 30 seconds) and then pump the water back in real fast. My Maxima clam is attached to a large rock and I might be able to put the whole rock in a bucket without ever bringing him out of the water. If the clam comes out of the water for a couple minutes could it kill it?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They can come out briefly (tank to bucket and vice versa), but it's a good idea to "burp" it by gently turning it around in the water afterwards to get any trapped air bubbles out.

should be fine, just don't tip it up and dump the water out of it, I've taken mine out of the tank to scrub aiptasia, majano's and algae off of their shells and never had any problems.

When low tide occurs on the reef, Tridacna clams are sometimes exposed to air for long periods until the next tide comes in. Clams can close and hold water inside for a little while.

You and your clam will be fine.

I've never heard of clams being burped either.

(edited)

I thought tridacna, giga and the rest of the big clams are found deep in the oceans. Not like muscles. What she means by burping, and she is right, is to turn/rotate the clam a few times in all directions when placing it back into the water to remove any air that may have been trapped in it when you took it out. Clams should be removed upside down when taking them out of the water to avoid getting air in them. If it's healthy and closes right away when you touch it, you should not have a problem getting too much air in it.

When I had clams I would take them out upside down and place them in a container for holding when I needed to. I'd put them back using the holding container with DT water. When I got them in the DT again I'd gently rotate them around to get any air bubbles out. Air trapped in a clam can cause big problems.

This method of removing is recommended in a couple of books I have, because air in a clam can lead to problems.

Edited by Jan

Should be fine. All bivalves have the ability to hold water inside their shell and survive out of water for a period. Anyone who has shucked clams before can attest to their water retention abilities.

However, air in the shell does mess up their gills, so don't shuck your clam or let it dry out.

In my opinion, all sea life can survive out of water for some period. In the hobby I consider two things: tides are gradual (so I make sure anything coming out is closed up tight) and being out of the water causes stress (which I want to minimize).

All that said, it can't hurt to burb them to be safe -- but put a towel on your shoulder.

(edited)

If the link does not work then search YouTube for "giant clams at low tide".

Pretty cool actually!

Edited by jaddc

zygote and hypertech are correct that they can be exposed on the reef at low tides, I have seen that personally. It can last for a couple of hours in 90 degree heat like that. I always "burp" my clams when moving them but I don't know if it is really needed or not.

(edited)

Thanks. All very good info here. I may try to intentionally make sure the clam closes up before I take it out of the water by blocking the light or turning it off.

Yes, the clam's foot is attached to the rock. I had it on a shell and it broke thru it and attached to a larger rock. I payed $25 for it at Dr Mac's and now it has grown five fold.

Edited by sen5241b

I just bought that enormous clam from Swimboy and it probably weighed 10+ lbs. I didn't even consider turning it upside down when I took it out of the bucket and placed it in the 500g tank. Since clams are frequently exposed to air at low tides and they never get 'burped' in the wild and grow just fine, I would think that this 'burping' method is just another myth that has been perpetuated by nervous hobbyists.

I'm not a nervous hobbyist. Tides come in and out slowly. I'm sure the clams have a chance to adjust and protect themselves. I think you're information is not accurate with regard to trying to get as much air out as possible. When I have time I'll quote it from one of my clam books.

I just bought that enormous clam from Swimboy and it probably weighed 10+ lbs. I didn't even consider turning it upside down when I took it out of the bucket and placed it in the 500g tank. Since clams are frequently exposed to air at low tides and they never get 'burped' in the wild and grow just fine, I would think that this 'burping' method is just another myth that has been perpetuated by nervous hobbyists.

This really doesn't need to be debated as it doesn't take a lot of effort or time. Just simply rock the clam back and forth a couple of times to let any air out, no harm done.

I think constructive debating and discussion is good. It's what teaches us all. "Constructive" being key. Myths, perpetuated and nervous hobbyist is not constructive.

So many of us follow what certain people here say to the "T". Then if there's a problem, they're out some $$$ and never know what happened. Why not just give constructive advice and do it right. That's all. I digress :) .

This really doesn't need to be debated as it doesn't take a lot of effort or time. Just simply rock the clam back and forth a couple of times to let any air out, no harm done.

Would your client be happy if the clam dies because you didn't take all of 5 seconds as a precautionary measure?

I'm sure you didn't resell it too cheap.

Until someone posted the 'burping' method in this thread, I had never heard of this procedure before. It doesn't mention it in Daniel Knop's book "Giant Clams".

Bowie Reefer- I sold the clam to the client for the same price that I paid. The client is very nice and treats us very well.

Jan- How many times has the "mantis shrimp breaks glass tanks" myth been passed around? If you know of a myth in this hobby that keeps being perpetuated but has no facts to back it up, why shouldn't we as educated hobbyists do what we can to stop these myths from being perpetuated? It is being constructive to disspell these myths.

I took this on Bora Bora where Tridacna clams are all over the place. See the "rocks" under the dock in shallow water? They are mostly clams, people eat them there and they are very common. Some places it is hard to walk because of too many of them.

The tide in the South Pacific only moves a very little not like here in NY where we have 8' tides.

You can take them out of the water foe a little while with no problem

tahiti0002.jpg

Great picture!

I took this on Bora Bora where Tridacna clams are all over the place. See the "rocks" under the dock in shallow water? They are mostly clams, people eat them there and they are very common. Some places it is hard to walk because of too many of them.

The tide in the South Pacific only moves a very little not like here in NY where we have 8' tides.

You can take them out of the water foe a little while with no problem

tahiti0002.jpg

I have gotten clams shipped wholesale that were not in water, they were wrapped in wet newspaper. I think a few mintues out of water while changing the tank around will not hurt the clam.

(edited)

Make sure you have a towel or bib ready, just in case...;)

Also, after refilling tank I am going to make sure there is no air in clam just to be sure.

Edited by Jan