Can Clams come out of water for a couple minutes?

sen5241b

I used to have a clam stuck high on a rock in my old tank. It was exposed for ~15-20 min at a time during water changes. Sometimes it would shoot a stream of water 8-10ft or so across the room (watch out for MH lights!) Did this every few weeks for a few years, and the clam was never burped as it was stuck to the rock. They will forcefully expel any air bubbles in their mantles when submerged.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know I read it in one of my books. When I had clams I'd turn them around getting the air out because this is what I rersearched should be done when handling. There was a reason for it too. I usually don't talk what I don't know, do or have read from a reputable source. After reading various sites that ship clams, and more about how they grow, where they grow as well as what seasoned reefers have personally experienced, I have to say it does not need to be "burped". Like Justin says it will forcefully expell any air.

Rob, sometimes it's all in the delivery. :)

Until someone posted the 'burping' method in this thread, I had never heard of this procedure before. It doesn't mention it in Daniel Knop's book "Giant Clams".

Bowie Reefer- I sold the clam to the client for the same price that I paid. The client is very nice and treats us very well.

Jan- How many times has the "mantis shrimp breaks glass tanks" myth been passed around? If you know of a myth in this hobby that keeps being perpetuated but has no facts to back it up, why shouldn't we as educated hobbyists do what we can to stop these myths from being perpetuated? It is being constructive to disspell these myths.

LOL!!! Thanks for that, Rob.

It's not delivery, Jan.

It's DiGiorno.

Now, now Ryan. Don't be catty. I'm a happily married women. Maybe you need to get a room with him :tongue: .

You two need to get a room.

Threesome? :ohmy: Ugh.

You threesome are just silly. So has the OP's clam been mythically burped yet or not?

• 3 years later...

After hearing the burping myth perpetuated again and now apparently a vendor is perpetuating it too, I'll tell you where "clam burping" came from.

Burping clams is what you do when you are going to eat clams and you want to get the sand out. It has been called this for a hundred years or more. 

I'm sure some reefer heard about it, had a clam die and found air bubbles inside and made the theory that burping clams releases air 'trapped' inside the clam because it was exposed to air.

Maybe someone had a clam air ornament and used that as the basis for the theory.

Either way, it's just a myth and zero scientific basis to back it up.

Almost as silly as garlic in fish food is supposed to cure all.

Now garlic and clams.... that's a different story.