Petco to become a real saltwater LFS chain?

Ryan S

Most of my recent livestock purchases have come from my petco. their dry good prices are still insane, but the livestock I have gotten has been healthy and fairly priced. there is a huge amout of variety of the quality of petcos that I have seen though. The annapolis one is a disaster, but the glen burnie one is very nice. I was ther last night in fact, and the tanks looked great...

I dunno... still would rather support a REAL LFS instead of a chain.... my personal opinion though.. and BRS or another large dealer for dry goods..

Great.......the two biggest livestock killers in the business are partnering up. I wish there were a way to find out the mortality percentage for both companies.

As to Petco, they will need a lot more than a partnership to become a real marine vendor. My petco has a frag tank as well as their fish tanks.......and everytime I go in I find dead livestock in both. They are a volume business and don't care if their stuff lives or dies.

It's not really a dead horse if they are completely redoing their saltwater section from the ground up. Read the article I shared. :cool:

For our dale city petco, I tend to defend them a bit since I've worked in that situation. The individuals that I talk to in the store care deeply for them and do what they can, but I know corporate is always pretty nasty to deal with in regards to fish/animal care in these places.

They're doing the best they can for the ich and other diseases and are trying to order from better wholesalers for healthier fish/inverts. Last few times I've been in, things have been fairly healthy. Just gotta look for what's in great shape, and what to stay away from. Aaand always qt! lol

Glad to know they're going to be revamping the systems, I know the employees here are going to be very excited about that.

Thanks for sharing Ryan!

(edited)

I'm actually suprised none of them are on here... Several of them have saltwater tanks.

Why? WAMAS represents a teeny tiny % of saltwater/reef keepers in the area.

Edited by ErikS

Quotes from the article:

Time to crank up the rumor mills.

Again, these are just rumors that we came across and we have no way of confirming if they are true or not.

That

Why? WAMAS represents a teeny tiny % of saltwater/reef keepers in the area.

Indeed, I did not realize this... But, we're the cool %, right guys? right?

Indeed, I did not realize this... But, we're the cool %, right guys? right?

:clap:

(i wonder how much our membership would increase if we put a wamas poster in every fish department at all of the petcos in the dc metro area...)

i wonder how much our membership would increase if we put a wamas poster in every fish department at all of the petcos in the dc metro area

I wonder what the real percentages are. We are just guessing here, aren't we?

I wonder whether we would be better off if all those "other" folks joined.

I wonder how many thongs Chip owns.

:clap:

(i wonder how much our membership would increase if we put a wamas poster in every fish department at all of the petcos in the dc metro area...)

Sure would be nice, huh? Many stores won't allow us to advertise on their countertops. We trade a lot amongst ourselves, you know. That undermines sales in their thinking.

I wonder how many thongs Chip owns.

:lol2: I refuse to think about that.

I work by fairfax location petco store and I need to be honest the only reason i go there is to check the newest fish magazine and see the sales on dry goods because I lost count how many times I saw dead fish in their tanks. However the last time I was there I was amazed how nice and healthy their tanks were. I didn't see anything dead or sick... believe or not...

t '

Does anyone else thing that Tanked show gives people a false impression of what is required to set up a SW tank. They set up tank, add tap water, add "bacteria", and then just dump the fish in...

Does anyone else thing that Tanked show gives people a false impression of what is required to set up a SW tank. They set up tank, add tap water, add "bacteria", and then just dump the fish in...

absolutely. RC has a thread on "where the Tanked aquariums are today" - and many are no longer up and running. they are just sitting empty somewhere.

absolutely. RC has a thread on "where the Tanked aquariums are today" - and many are no longer up and running. they are just sitting empty somewhere.

that's terrible... got a link to that thread?

What a waste. Dholmblad's post is thoughtfully taken. Giving people a false impression of the effort that goes into maintaining a tank is bad for the hobby.

I will be honest I got back into the hobby of having fish because of the show tanked and they are the reason I chose to start a saltwater tank on the show it looked so easy but it is not.... And I have learned so much since I started thanks to this site... If I wasn't told about this site and joined then I would not still have a tank today.

Jake

Sure would be nice, huh? Many stores won't allow us to advertise on their countertops. We trade a lot amongst ourselves, you know. That undermines sales in their thinking.

I would be surprised if my local petco said no. I doubt they care if we trade frags with each other. We are a club helping to promote the hobby. We should print up some nice color posters with WAMAS on them and our website listed and hand them out at frag fest for folks to ask their local petcos to hang up in their saltwater department. Worst case scenario they say no, but I bet many would say yes.