The Outlaw Bar Tank

Yep, I'm doing it again. I've been collecting stuff for the conversion of my basement from kid to adult and the first step is my bar tank. The tank is going to be a 60x30x27 200g acrylic built by Adam at Artfully Acrylic. The tank will be lit by 2 Sfiligoi 400w MH/4T5 fixtures. I'm planning on doing the bar base in stone and haven't decided on whether to do the bar ledge around the tank in wood or stone yet. I was thinking something like this:

osugallerybartop4111.jpg

Anyway, material is here and the tank build has started.

OutlawMaterialsPic.jpg

OutlawBuild2.jpg

OutlawBuild1.jpg

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great size for a tank Steve. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with as a completed project.

Very exciting!

I personally love the stone and wood idea, especially for a bar area. Hope you'll post before and after pictures of your man cave!

Maureen

Well, I've done it too many times to count. I don't know what is more fun.......building them or keeping them!

Well for me of course is more fun building them ;)...especially since MY WIFE of all people...the wife of the fabricator...won't let me keep any more than ONE tank in the house! I swear, the nerve!! blush.gif At least she "let me" put one down in my shop....if only I had more space to make it bigger....hmmm...what to do? Keep premium build space open for builds or build a bigger in shop tank.....decisions decisions....

I guess I'll make that decision after I finish my drive to build a bigger tank for in the house where I am spinning it as "good for business". hahahahhaa laugh.gif

Well for me of course is more fun building them ;)...especially since MY WIFE of all people...the wife of the fabricator...won't let me keep any more than ONE tank in the house! I swear, the nerve!! blush.gif At least she "let me" put one down in my shop....if only I had more space to make it bigger....hmmm...what to do? Keep premium build space open for builds or build a bigger in shop tank.....decisions decisions....

I guess I'll make that decision after I finish my drive to build a bigger tank for in the house where I am spinning it as "good for business". hahahahhaa laugh.gif

I can't wait until I get some extra cash so you can redo my custom acrylic tank! Your work looks amazing!

I can't wait until I get some extra cash so you can redo my custom acrylic tank! Your work looks amazing!

Redo??? what are you going to have done now that you have that thing full of coral and fish. do i hear tank breakdown, say it aint so.

Redo??? what are you going to have done now that you have that thing full of coral and fish. do i hear tank breakdown, say it aint so.

Just want a better build quality, viewable on two sides and a smaller overflow. There are imperfections that drive me crazy.

Getting closer........4 sides and the euro-brace attached!

Cutting the euro-brace:

2012-05-28_14-15-44_923.jpg

Euro-brace waiting to be bonded to the tank:

2012-05-28_18-20-52_558.jpg

Coming together nicely:

2012-05-28_20-19-41_151.jpg

I need to get my a$$ moving on getting my stand built!!

LOL.. I think we need to have a 'stand building day' as I know there are A FEW of us who need to do our stands, lol

Im going to work on mine next weekend when I MIGHT actually have a day off (might,,,, we will see if my boss has to go out of town again)

Tick Tock Steve.... ::lights fire under derriere::.... I just welded the bottom on your tank last night so you are running short on weekends ;). Edges should all be flush routed and external overflow attached this weekend so we are very very close clap.gif.

Its been a fun build thus far. I really like the size/dimensions of it all. My wife didn't like being the one to help me maneuver it for the top/bottom welds though tongue.gif

Tick Tock Steve.... ::lights fire under derriere::.... I just welded the bottom on your tank last night so you are running short on weekends ;). Edges should all be flush routed and external overflow attached this weekend so we are very very close clap.gif.

Its been a fun build thus far. I really like the size/dimensions of it all. My wife didn't like being the one to help me maneuver it for the top/bottom welds though tongue.gif

No kidding. I'll be building the support frame this weekend so the tank will have a place to go. Finishing of the bar wood and the stone exterior may have to wait a bit.

Tell your wife to suck it up.......I mean, thank your wife for me!! ;)

More progress and more changes. The tank is almost complete and looks like I'll be able to pick it up this weekend. The wife has decided that she wants an in-wall tank so it looks as if I'm going to build the tank in wall and just build a bar in front of it. I can do that! Here are a couple of updated pics of the tank progress:

2012-06-02_14-54-21_147.jpg

2012-06-02_14-53-49_871.jpg