The Outlaw Bar Tank

Yep, I'm going to do the Bean Animal overflow. I'm planning on an Eheim 1262 for the return pump. I'm not sure how big the sump is going to be yet so I haven't made a final decision on the skimmer or refugium size.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, the top and bottom frame has been put together. All I need is to put the legs on and we're in business. I made the top frame out of 2x6s to avoid having a center brace. I'm going to cover this with 2 layers of 1/2" plywood and 1/2" foam.

0605121925.jpg

Hoping to pick up the tank on Sunday.

Just to warn you...kilz will start to peel when it gets wet :(and (learned from my last build) what I am doing...next weekend in fact is finishing my stand bottom with plastic shower liner from HD...siliconing th corners....no water leaking and no peelingg paint!

Picked up the tank and got it on the stand. Adam does some REALLY nice work. The seams look amazing!!

It's really hard to get good pics of it since my office/fishroom is so cramped but I did the best I could. Next step is to get the wall cut out........but I think I'll wait for another weekend for that! A few pics:

Back of the tank

0610121515.jpg

Eurobrace

0610121515a.jpg

Overflow

0610121516.jpg

Will do Adam. Thanks again. I'm really enjoying just looking at the thing. You did a fantastic job on the seams......I can't wait to get water in it.

Hey Steve if you need help taking out that wall let me know.. biggrin.gif

I used to do a bit of construction work (wouldnt know it from looking at me I know,lol)

and if you need me to bring my sawz-all I can do that too (to take out the 2x4's much easier)

wow man looking very nice, just some great dimensions....i think you should just build another tank on the other side and have it overflow into this one :clap:

• 1 month later...

Ok, FINALLY......I've gotten around to the destruction. The tank side wall has been taken down.

Baseboard trim off

0715121248.jpg

RODI reservoir working well

0715121248a.jpg

Dust curtain up

0715121335.jpg

Gripping and rippin

0715121335a.jpg

0715121632.jpg

0715121632a.jpg

The tank in place until the final hole is cut

0715121634.jpg

I'm looking at your overflow and wondering how close the bottom of the 90 is to the bottom inside of the overflow box. Can you put an intake strainer on them to prevent something from getting wedged in there or even a snail simply crawling inside?

I'm looking at your overflow and wondering how close the bottom of the 90 is to the bottom inside of the overflow box. Can you put an intake strainer on them to prevent something from getting wedged in there or even a snail simply crawling inside?

Rob - All of the 90's in the overflow have an eggcrate strainer in them to prevent anything big from getting in. Do you think I need a finer mesh than that?

Yep. I built the whole basement and I moved the door a few years ago.

This is as far as I've gotten. I'm planning on cutting the wall out and getting the tank in place this week.

Rob - All of the 90's in the overflow have an eggcrate strainer in them to prevent anything big from getting in. Do you think I need a finer mesh than that?

you should be fine then. just make sure to check them for clogging periodically.