The Outlaw Bar Tank

Steve, if that emergency overflow (the one on the left in the picture) was a simple standpipe, it would serve its function better. Without venting, it could, if needed, begin a siphon, giving it more capacity than a vented oveflow which is what it looks like now.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steve, if that emergency overflow (the one on the left in the picture) was a simple standpipe, it would serve its function better. Without venting, it could, if needed, begin a siphon, giving it more capacity than a vented oveflow which is what it looks like now.

Steve has the emergency overflow setup as a typical Bean Animal overflow. The emergency overflow on the left is airtight when the system is running so it will run at full siphon in the event that the water level rises to meet its opening. The one in the middle will run full siphon all the time. The Open Channel pipe on the right will run the excess not taken in by the center full siphon pipe. In the event that the middle is clogged up the emergency pipe on the left will begin full siphon. If the water level continues to rise it will block the airvalve to the open channel pipe thereby converting that one also to full siphon.

The bean animal system is very efficient and quiet in operation as well as providing multi-level fail safes (which is why I recommended it when doing his build). Between just the main siphon drain and the open channel pipe this system should be able to handle upwards of 2000gph.

More info on the Bean Animal system can be found here:

http://www.beananimal.com/projects/silent-and-fail-safe-aquarium-overflow-system.aspx/

I recognized the three-overflow look of BeanAnimal's design. But I also saw the tee on the first, emergency drain. I could not tell if he had a hole drilled there or not. Just wanting to make sure it didn't.

Looks great. When's it for sale?

Now, now. Steve's into this tank for the long term. This is a dream come true for him. I know it's in jest, but let's not chide the guy.

Checkin in and seein how things are going??? is the wall down and new lights up?

Wall has been cut and the water test was done today. I'm hoping to have the tank in place and start filling by the end of tomorrow.

This is the only pic I was able to get. Tank is in place and level. I just started putting in RODI water and should have it about 1/2 full by tonight. Then I'll start mixing the salt.

0721121600.jpg

Beautiful tank, Steve. No access panels for the top front, though? Will cleaning the acrylic front panel be made more difficult if you only have back access?

If you use an acrylic magfloat with a mesh media bag covering the velcro'y inside part it wont scrath it...thats what i used on my 150g..just sayin for ease of use...

I owned an acrylic 180 for several years and I could never completely avoid having to reach in and put some real elbow grease into cleaning/scraping the panels of hard deposits from time to time (especially close to the sand line). Soft deposits are easy. Another thing: It might be complicated to get a mag float on if you have a continuous wall separating the two sides of the tank. It may become a two-person job just to get the mag float in place.

Personally, I also like feeding a tank from the viewing side from time to time - especially for visitors.

Looks like it's going to be a snorkel and a scrubbing pad.

:ohmy:

Looks like you'll need a bigger tank or send one of the kids in....

I was thinking more of just my head going under so I can see. I do have it so I can add some doors if need be. Plus, the tank is just on the other side of the wall so it will be easy to feed and come out to watch.

I had an in-wall SPS acrylic tank. I really like the clean look of the wall without any access panels up top. However, it was such a chore to scrape coraline off the front pane. Mag floats aren't strong enough and scrapers required Popeye arms to get enough force/leverage on the stick. I ultimately got so frustrated with it that I tore the tank down and replaced it with a glass tank of exact same dimensions.

Now I take my metal blade mag float and scrape all the coraline off in 5 minutes laughing and smiling along the way.

Origami is right in that with the continuous wall it's a bit of a challenge getting the mag float set. But it can be a fun game of just timing the tank currents and catching the inside part it as it goes by.